Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo

This is, in my opinion, the proverbial trade that helps neither team. Sure, the Reds are desperate for pitching. But is Arroyo that much better than any of two dozen other pitchers the Reds already had on the roster or could have picked up in some cheaper fashion? I don't think so. He's a RH Eric Milton whose numbers will shoot up in GABP. Lots of homers, lots of walks, not many strikeouts. If Arroyo is the best the Reds could get for Pena, then they shouuld have just held onto Pena.
    The Cooperstown Kid
    MLB Rumors

welcome to the board.

good first post, but here's i go.

Originally posted by CooperstownKid
    This is, in my opinion, the proverbial trade that helps neither team. Sure, the Reds are desperate for pitching. But is Arroyo that much better than any of two dozen other pitchers the Reds already had on the roster or could have picked up in some cheaper fashion?
    yes, he is. except for Aaron Harang.

He's a RH Eric Milton whose numbers will shoot up in GABP.
    except without being a flyball pitcher, no degenerative knee condition, and having a good career HR/9 rate. Milton back in the day was a power pitcher, Arroyo is a movement/control pitcher, who unlike most with that tag, has movement. GABP is also a slight pitcher's park whereas Boston is a hitter's park. Arroyo is also not prone to allowing walks, he has a career 2.9 BB/9. significantly better than average.

If Arroyo is the best the Reds could get for Pena, then they shouuld have just held onto Pena.
    possibly. but if Arroyo returns to his 2004 form (possible most of last year was fatigue) this is an even trade. if you get the Arroyo with 5 K's per 9, than you're going to get a slightly better Ramon Ortiz.
    RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
    Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
    Infamous butcher,
    Angel of Death

Comment

Arroyo will be a nice addition to the Cinci rotation. I would expect him to pitch no lower than 3rd in the rotation and likely 2nd. If he manages the transition well, he might even contest for #1, but that's a big if. Last season he seemed a little star-struck and distracted. I imagine there's none of that waiting for him.

2007 World Series Champions
      The Boston Red Sox

Comment

I find this trade pretty interesting.

Ravenlord, I was under the impression that Arroyo is a bit of a flyball pitcher. Am I mistaken?
        I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

Lefty

Id say he wil be 3rd in the rotation. Not because of talent, but you wouldn't want to have you two healthy righties back to back. I see it as.......

Harang R
          Milton L
          Arroyo R
          Williams L
          Clausen L

Wilson?

Comment

frankly what i see is a 3rd starter, who'll be healthy all year. the reds need that. wily mo pena is destined for greatness, possible 500 home run club member some day, but the reds offense is plenty sufficient right now. hatteburg is a solid hitter, and if kearns has a good year, we could easily lead the league in runs scored. hopefully with arroyo and williams, we won't be leading the league in runs given up.
            :atthepc

i enjoy smileys...

Comment

No way in Hell Milton is a #2. If he gets shelled tonight, I could see the Reds just eating the rest of his contract.

Comment

The rotation would be like this

Harang
                Claussen
                Arroyo
                Williams
                Milton
                Wilson

Williams, Wilson, and Milton are interchangable.
                Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by sschirmer
                  Ravenlord, I was under the impression that Arroyo is a bit of a flyball pitcher. Am I mistaken?
                  he's neutral. he was something like 0.96 GO/AO last year (Harang was 0.94), and is 1.01 for his career.

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
                  Infamous butcher,
                  Angel of Death

Comment

Originally posted by nascarfn5
                    The rotation would be like this

Harang
                    Claussen
                    Arroyo
                    Williams
                    Milton
                    Wilson

Williams, Wilson, and Milton are interchangable.
                    Wilson's starting the year on the DL (i personally think his career is over and will probably only have 2 or 3 more major league appearances).

the Enquirer quoted Narron and his 'not written in stone" rotation of:

Harang
                    Arroyo
                    Claussen
                    Milton
                    Williams

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
                    Infamous butcher,
                    Angel of Death

Comment

Milton really pitched well the night after I made that last post. He also didn't pitch too bad last night. He seems to be throwing a bit harder this Spring.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I dont see it as a good trade for the Reds, but a great one for the Sox. I just dont believe Arroyo will be that good a pitcher with the Reds, and I can see Pena putting up some big numbers in fenway. Hope i'm wrong.
                        Image hosting by Photobucket

Comment

Arroyo pitched 7 shutout innings and at least 5 straight w/o a hit. Of course though "It's only Spring Training."
                          Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by nascarfn5
                            Arroyo pitched 7 shutout innings and at least 5 straight w/o a hit. Of course though "It's only Spring Training."
                            the only meaningful thing would could take away from that would have been to actually watch the game and compare his pitch movement to that of year's past and see if it compares favorably to 04 again (hopefully it did).

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
                            Infamous butcher,
                            Angel of Death

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X