An interesting geographical observation concerning Great American Ballpark...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Long Island Mike
    • Sep 2009

An interesting geographical observation concerning Great American Ballpark...

Everyone: I have a big interest in North American geography as well as being a baseball fan and I decided to post a interesting observation I found about Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark and before
    that Riverfront Stadium: They are/were the closest big league ballparks to a state line in the MLB.

On a visit to Cincinnati back in the 90s I walked in the Downtown/Riverfront Stadium area including walking over the Roebling Bridge to Covington,Kentucky and I wondered about the odd placement of signs marking the state boundary line-on the Cincinnati side-and after looking at some detailed maps and asking about Ohio geography I found that the Ohio River in that area is actually entirely considered Kentucky
    territory across to the Ohio side riverbank...and since both ballparks are on the riverfront the south front on the Ohio River is basically on the state line.

There are some other ballparks that are close to state boundary lines-Busch Stadium in St. Louis and
    Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia are within a mile or two of the Missouri/Illinois and the Pennsylvania/New Jersey state lines respectively but Cincinnati wins this distinction.

Another observation I will mention is that Coamerica Park in Detroit is the closest big league ballpark to the US/Canada international boundary line-within also a mile or two of Windsor,Ontario.
    I don't want to go off topic but I feel that this should be also mentioned as a geographical observation.

Since the Reds are a regional team drawing fans from a large area centering on SW Ohio I realize that many Kentuckians and for that matter Southern Indiana baseball fans follow the Reds.

I also find maps showing "fansheds" interesting showing which areas follow which big league team...
    I realize that Ohio is divided between the Reds and Indians...and I wonder as a good example how those in Columbus are more Reds or Indians fans...

If anyone can link or has information concerning these topics I will definitely be interested and I thank all in advance for any input here-Long Island Mike
    Last edited by Long Island Mike; 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM. Reason: Text Addition...
  • Captain Cold Nose
    OSHA-certified Moderator
    • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Long Island Mike View Post
    Everyone: I have a big interest in North American geography as well as being a baseball fan and I decided to post a interesting observation I found about Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark and before
    that Riverfront Stadium: They are/were the closest big league ballparks to a state line in the MLB.

On a visit to Cincinnati back in the 90s I walked in the Downtown/Riverfront Stadium area including walking over the Roebling Bridge to Covington,Kentucky and I wondered about the odd placement of signs marking the state boundary line-on the Cincinnati side and after looking at some detailed maps and asking about Ohio geography I found that the Ohio River is actually entirely considered Kentucky
    territory across to the Ohio side riverbank...and since both ballparks are on the riverfront the south front on the Ohio River is basically on the state line.

There are some other ballparks that are close to state boundary lines-Busch Stadium in St. Louis and
    Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia are within a mile or two of the Missouri/Illinois and the Pennsylvania/New Jersey state lines respectively but Cincinnati wins this distinction.

Another observation I will mention is that Coamerica Park in Detroit is the closest big league ballpark to the US/Canada international boundary line-within also a mile or two of Windsor,Ontario.
    I don't want to go off topic but I feel that this should be also mentioned as a geographical observation.

Since the Reds are a regional team drawing fans from a large area centering on SW Ohio I realize that many Kentuckians and for that matter Southern Indiana baseball fans follow the Reds.

I also find maps showing "fansheds" interesting showing which areas follow which big league team...
    I realize that Ohio is divided between the Reds and Indians...and I wonder as a good example how those in Columbus are more Reds or Indians fans...

If anyone can link or has information concerning these topics I will definitely be interested and I thank all in advance for any input here-Long Island Mike
    The Indians now have a big advantage in Columbus as the AAA Clippers are now an Indians affiliate.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• hairmetalfreek
      Twisted Sister ROCKS!
      • Apr 2008

I had never thought about that before. I can't count the number of times I walked across either the Suspension Bridge in Covington or the bridge in Newport to the ballpark (or to a concert, as the Colesium/US Bank Arena is right next door). Currently I usually park in downtown Cincinnati a couple blocks from the stadium as northern Kentucky has cracked down on non residents parking on the streets a bit more recently.

Kentucky seems to be a bit divided on loyalties. The northern part of the state is unashamed to be called Reds Heads, but the further south you travel you find more and more Braves fans. I suppose this has to do with cable TV coverage (TBS) to some extent.
      The Writer's Journey

Comment

• Dick Groat's syndrome
        formerly Mr. Red
        • Mar 2006

I've lived my entire life in central Kentucky, and I find that most people I meet are Reds fans in this area.

Comment

• Tadasimha
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Red View Post
          I've lived my entire life in central Kentucky, and I find that most people I meet are Reds fans in this area.
          Has that grown in recent years as the Reds' now have AAA affiliation with Louisville?
          If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Comment

• StanTheMan
            Back after a decade or so
            • Jan 2006

Plenty of Reds fans in southern Indiana, but only the Southeastern side of the state. Western and SW Indiana is Cardinal country. Indianapolis is pretty evenly split between the Reds and the Cubs.
            "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

• gman5431
              GMan5431
              • Oct 2007

People in Columbus root for the Buckeyes and not much else.

G Man

Comment

• StanTheMan
                Back after a decade or so
                • Jan 2006

I know some good Crew fans, and have attended a coule USA-Mexico soccer matches in Columbus. Those are a blast....
                "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                  OSHA-certified Moderator
                  • Jan 2000

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                  I know some good Crew fans, and have attended a coule USA-Mexico soccer matches in Columbus. Those are a blast....
                  Soccer has a good following, indeed. I know several people from Dayton who attend Crew games and whatever else they can go to.

Whomever the parent team is for the Clippers always gets a little love from the baseball fans around Columbus. Even when it was the Nationals.

One reason the Reds have popularity outside Ohio is their flagship radio station, 700 WLW, has a powerful signal. I know I've had it come in very clearly in Eastern Illinois/Western Indiana. I've mentioned switching back and forth between that station and St. Louis's KMOX during a Cardinals-Reds games while near Evansville a few times on this site.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Dick Groat's syndrome
                    formerly Mr. Red
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tadasimha View Post
                    Has that grown in recent years as the Reds' now have AAA affiliation with Louisville?
                    Perhaps a bit, but I'm only 21 so it's tough to say. Many of my friends don't remember the Louisville Redbirds, but I went to several games at Cardinal Stadium at the fairgrounds.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X