Shin-Soo Choo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shin-Soo Choo

What a revelation this feller has been, certainly exceeding all expectations so far. He had a league-leading 26 hits, 10 HBP and .521 OBP. He also has six doubles and 17 runs scored, putting him on pace for 137 in the latter category. Choo has been a very solid, if unsung, player throughout his career, hitting at least .300 three times with 20 or more dingers twice. Do you think this is the year he finally makes the All-Star team?

He has been outstanding this season. I saw him in Cincinnati over the weekend and he is just efficient! I think this is the year that he makes the All-Star game and hopefully everyone will get to see him in The Fall Classic!!!

Comment

The only thing that Cincy fans need to be worried about is his record setting HPB pace. He's been nailed 10 times so far this year.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
        The only thing that Cincy fans need to be worried about is his record setting HPB pace.
        Perhaps his CF defense as well
        Last edited by filihok; 04-24-2013, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
          Perhaps his CF defense as well
          Is he worse than Drew Stubbs?
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
            Stubbs had 3.6 runs saved above the average CFer according to UZR.
            Stubbs was rated a 66 in Tango's Fan Scouting Report last year.
            He's generally regarded as a good fielder.

Choo, by UZR, is 15 runs below average in CF and 3 runs below average in RF.
            Choo was rated a 61 by Tango's Scouting Report.

So, yes. Certainly evidence that he's a worse defensive player than Stubbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post

Wow. Even in his stonger position he's a bit of a downgrade. I hope he continues to produce offensively enough to negate that much of a defensive differential.
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

He dropped two catchable fly balls during one game with St. Louis, leading to runs. But he spearheaded the comeback when the Reds eventually won the game.

I'd say his offense will cover the gap between himself and Drew Stubbs. All Stubbs ever did was strike out. He was an eighth place hitter who was stuck in the lead off spot because the Reds had nobody else.

One unspoken factor of having Choo in the lineup is...HOPE. When he comes up in the late innings with runners on base, I have a reasonable expectation that something good could happen. That was never the case with Drew Stubbs. I'd always expect him to swing through the 0-2 set-up pitch, and he did...many, many times.

The games are more entertaining for me to watch with Choo leading off. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.
                  smoker

Comment

There were always question marks considering Choo's ability to play CF. But those who've seen him play saw other things outside of just fielding.

Me?

Choo OFF + DEF >>>>> Stubbs OFF + DEF
                    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                      What a revelation this feller has been, certainly exceeding all expectations so far. He had a league-leading 26 hits, 10 HBP and .521 OBP. He also has six doubles and 17 runs scored, putting him on pace for 137 in the latter category. Choo has been a very solid, if unsung, player throughout his career, hitting at least .300 three times with 20 or more dingers twice. Do you think this is the year he finally makes the All-Star team?
                      Choo was a near-all-star for several seasons with Cleveland. If he stays at anywhere near his current offensive pace and if he stays healthty, I can't see him being denied a place on the NL squad this year at Citi Field, Queens, NY this Summer.

Comment

Choo's OBP finally dropped below .500 the other day. Still at a league-leading .460+
                        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Speaking of dropping, Choo did a good job dropping Todd Frazier the other day. Luckily, no one got hurt.
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Anybody see his home/road splits this year? They're insane.

Comment

Choo is a step down from Drew Stubbs but he is a huge improvement offensively. Stubbs had been putrid in Cincinnati over the past couple of years racking up huge numbers of strikeouts. He led the NL in strikeouts in 2011 and was among the leaders in 2012. I was glad to see Stubbs heading out of town.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X