Why is Tony Cingrani still at AAA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Tony Cingrani still at AAA?

I realize the Reds have a solid rotation, but this guy was awesome when he was up... And is absolutely shredding AAA hitters. You'd think the Reds would trade Cueto for a bat - they are so close to having a super balanced team.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

I don't understand that either. I would have to think he's better than Mike Leake. I'm sure there's behind the scenes drama going on with this and the Red's probably are doing the right thing by giving the veteran pitcher the nod over a rookie pitcher.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
      I don't understand that either. I would have to think he's better than Mike Leake. I'm sure there's behind the scenes drama going on with this and the Red's probably are doing the right thing by giving the veteran pitcher the nod over a rookie pitcher.
      I keep waiting for Leake to slip up but dang, he's been solid himself... And not shoplifting, too!
      WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

You've raised a very good question. He was doing great in the majors and his demotion caught me off guard.

Comment

I keep hearing that the league will eventually catch up to him since he only has two pitches but I don't think he needs three pitches. He's dominated every where he's pitched so I have no reason to believe he won't continue to do well in the Majors. I think his delivery is what fools hitters more than anything. Hopefully he gets called up soon because he was a fun pitcher to watch.
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I posed this question a month ago in the season thread. I guess as long as Leake keeps doing well (like shutting down the Pirates), and yes, not shoplifting T-shirts or whatever he was doing (chuckle chuckle) he'll keep his spot. With Marshall out, you'd think they could use Cingrani in the pen, but nope. I guess they want him in a rotation somewhere. I don't know the answer, is what I'm trying to say.

But I wouldn't trade Cueto for a bat. A player with a bat would be much better. Then again, Ryan Ludwick is coming back, and he has many bats. Keep Cueto.
            smoker

Comment

Trading your proven commodity ace to make room for a prospect who showed some good stuff but really hasn't been tested at the MLB level, yet. Sure, if the Reds don't want to contend in a couple of years.

Adding another bat is fine, although I think the Reds aren't desperate enough to dispatch Cueto. They are a contender. Don't mess things up for a prospect.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                Trading your proven commodity ace to make room for a prospect who showed some good stuff but really hasn't been tested at the MLB level, yet. Sure, if the Reds don't want to contend in a couple of years.

Adding another bat is fine, although I think the Reds aren't desperate enough to dispatch Cueto. They are a contender. Don't mess things up for a prospect.
                Hear ya! If anything, Cueto will end up back on the DL.
                WAR? Prove it!

Comment

I've heard Thom Brennaman quote Cueto as saying that if he has any more problems with those oblique strains that have been keeping him sidelined, then he'd think about modifying his wind-up. Cueto said it in Spanish, undoubtedly, so he may just have been offering Brennaman a post-game beer, but I feel positive about it, either way. Cerveza!
                  smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
                    Hear ya! If anything, Cueto will end up back on the DL.
                    Thanks, Blackout.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                      Thanks, Blackout.
                      Haha, Blackout is the man.
                      WAR? Prove it!

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                        I keep hearing that the league will eventually catch up to him since he only has two pitches but I don't think he needs three pitches. He's dominated every where he's pitched so I have no reason to believe he won't continue to do well in the Majors. I think his delivery is what fools hitters more than anything. Hopefully he gets called up soon because he was a fun pitcher to watch.
                        maybe they want him to work on a third pitch in AAA?

he occasionally throws a change, but it is probably not a major league ready pitch.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                          maybe they want him to work on a third pitch in AAA?

he occasionally throws a change, but it is probably not a major league ready pitch.
                          I heard they have been working on a third pitch but they must really trust this kid because he's coming back to the Reds.

Comment

Cingrani throws a fastball about 84% of the time, Change 7% of the time, and curve 9% of the time.
                            *source

Interesting that you can look at spring only stats.
                            In spring trainings Cingrani has thrown 58% fastballs, 21% changes and 21% curves.
                            *source
                            That represents only 19 pitches but shows why you can't take spring stats as really meaningful
                            Last edited by filihok; 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
                              Cingrani throws a fastball about 84% of the time, Change 7% of the time, and curve 9% of the time.
                              *source

Interesting that you can look at spring only stats.
                              In spring trainings Cingrani has thrown 58% fastballs, 21% changes and 21% curves.
                              *source
                              That represents only 19 pitches but shows why you can't take spring stats as really meaningful
                              fangraphs says he throws a slider and not a curve
                              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X