Homer Bailey appreciation thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homer Bailey appreciation thread

Do Reds fans think Homer Bailey has finally turned the corner and is starting to become the elite pitcher many people thought he would be coming up through the minors? Folks must appreciate what he's done these past two years, and especially this season. His record is ho-hum, but he's averaging a K per inning and has one of the best HR/9 IP ratios in the league.

He's really cranked it up in the past month or so, limiting hitters to a .221 average, while posting a 3-1 record and a 3.10 ERA...and that's including his terrible start a couple weeks ago. Excluding that performance he is 3-0 with a 1.70 ERA since May 14.

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Do Reds fans think Homer Bailey has finally turned the corner and is starting to become the elite pitcher many people thought he would be coming up through the minors? Folks must appreciate what he's done these past two years, and especially this season. His record is ho-hum, but he's averaging a K per inning and has one of the best HR/9 IP ratios in the league.

He's really cranked it up in the past month or so, limiting hitters to a .221 average, while posting a 3-1 record and a 3.10 ERA...and that's including his terrible start a couple weeks ago. Excluding that performance he is 3-0 with a 1.70 ERA since May 14.
    It's nice, but wake us in September. Short-term performances don't mean much, it's what he does over the course of a season that's going to make reds fans really believe he has arrived. Jack Armstrong started the All-star game in 1990 and then all but disappeared. So many fans, including those who weren't even alive at the time, speak of the Big Red Machine and the decade or so of success they had with those players they really aren't going to be impressed by anything short of sustained success. It's weird, they love the guys who can bring in occasional offense, like Chris Stynes or the late Ryan Freel, but for regular players, especially pitchers, it takes a lot for the fans to be truly behind them.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I really hope that Bailey and the entire pitching staff really gets hot in the middle of next month and they put together a long winning streak for a huge momentum push deep into the playoffs. They played really well in SF but not so much in LA but the Dodgers are a much better ball club right now than the Giants. The Giants won the WS last year with a lot of no name guys that really got hot at the same time!

Comment

Homer is really coming into his own. Took a little longer than we would have liked but he is a top line starter at this point. Threw a good game in playoffs last year - sandwiched between two regular season no-hitters. I thought he was a free agent this off season, but looks like we still get one more year of him. Don't know if we will be able to keep him around though - he is lining himself up for a pretty good pay day.

G Man

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
          It's nice, but wake us in September. Short-term performances don't mean much, it's what he does over the course of a season that's going to make reds fans really believe he has arrived.
          He posted a 3.50 ERA while allowing only 109 hits in 126 innings in the 19 starts he made after I made this post. Then he made a 3.71 ERA the next year.

I don't think Bailey is ever going to 'arrive'. Or, he has arrived, just not in the glory expected of him. One of his most similar comps through age 28 is Charles Nagy. Neutralized stats give Nagy a 116-109 record and a 3.94 ERA. I could see Bailey ending his career with numbers like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
            He posted a 3.50 ERA while allowing only 109 hits in 126 innings in the 19 starts he made after I made this post. Then he made a 3.71 ERA the next year.

I don't think Bailey is ever going to 'arrive'. Or, he has arrived, just not in the glory expected of him. One of his most similar comps through age 28 is Charles Nagy. Neutralized stats give Nagy a 116-109 record and a 3.94 ERA. I could see Bailey ending his career with numbers like that.
            At this point it is the injuries that have derailed him. He was on a nice little run, albeit inconsistent, when he was starting every 5 days.

Hard to be hopeful at this point, but with years left on his deal we need him back in the rotation and healthy.

G Man

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X