Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homer = $105 M

Well.....

I think we all thought, or at least i did, that Homer would be gone after this season. So in some sense i'm glad he is still going to be around for six more years mainly because he has been solid in the past three and i think will only get better, but would he have gotten this deal on the open market?

Guys like Garza and Jimenez, with a draft pick attached, have gotten less than half of this. I like the deal, just not the $ outlay (not that i care because its not my money, but.... on the other hand, if it prohibits them from signing other guys, like Latos, that's not good).

G Man

Originally posted by gman5431 View Post
    Well.....

I think we all thought, or at least i did, that Homer would be gone after this season. So in some sense i'm glad he is still going to be around for six more years mainly because he has been solid in the past three and i think will only get better, but would he have gotten this deal on the open market?

Guys like Garza and Jimenez, with a draft pick attached, have gotten less than half of this. I like the deal, just not the $ outlay (not that i care because its not my money, but.... on the other hand, if it prohibits them from signing other guys, like Latos, that's not good).

G Man
    This is the kind of deal medirocre NFL quarterbacks get after a few good games.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I think it's too much for a guy who's probably the No. 3 starter in the rotation. Considering what Garza and Jiminez go and what the Tigers received in return for Doug Fister, and I can't see an up-and-down Bailey being worth this much, no-hitters or not.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

If he had a solid season this year, he would have raked in much more than $105. I think the Reds have the money to still sign Latos or Cueto even after this signing...baseball teams are not hurting for money like they want us to believe.
      The Writer's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetalfreek View Post
        If he had a solid season this year, he would have raked in much more than $105. I think the Reds have the money to still sign Latos or Cueto even after this signing...baseball teams are not hurting for money like they want us to believe.
        I'm not under the impression they are hurting, but I am under the impression they don't want to be saddled with overpaying for potential. Bailey is still at the "potential" phase, he potentially can be a 20-game winner, etc.

He also could be Joba.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

This was a "no win" situation for Reds management. If you allow him to walk, the fans are going to scream that the franchise is not committing to keeping players in Cincinnati. If they sign him, people are going to say that he is overpaid. This is definitely a risky move but he has improved each year. I truly hope that he develops into that workhorse 20 game winner that everyone believes that he can be. I would love to see us get at least one championship with this current group and perhaps even a couple. That would definitely put money into the coffers!!!

Comment

I agree he has the potential to be even better - but he has put up two solid seasons in a row now. If he puts up another good one, which is to be expected, then i think he would have gotten a lot more than 105$ mil on the open market.

G Man

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
            I'm not under the impression they are hurting, but I am under the impression they don't want to be saddled with overpaying for potential. Bailey is still at the "potential" phase, he potentially can be a 20-game winner, etc.

He also could be Joba.

Comment

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
              This was a "no win" situation for Reds management. If you allow him to walk, the fans are going to scream that the franchise is not committing to keeping players in Cincinnati. If they sign him, people are going to say that he is overpaid. This is definitely a risky move but he has improved each year. I truly hope that he develops into that workhorse 20 game winner that everyone believes that he can be.
              The Reds are in "win now" mode and Bailey was a better option than any of the free agent starters on the market. Any fruits from trading Bailey (or letting him walk after next season) wouldn't yield a harvest, if at all, for several seasons down the road, after Votto and Bruce are past their prime.

It's not a bad contract per se. It's unusual in the sense that the Reds are basing it on Bailey's (hopefully) future value, as opposed to what he's done in the past (as most contracts are). If this were a big market team, no one would bad an eyelash about the money and this would be seen as a good signing. So I guess, in addition to Bailey's performance, this contract will also gauge how many greenbacks Castellini is willing to pour into his hobby to bring a pennant to the Queen City.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                This is the kind of deal medirocre NFL quarterbacks get after a few good games.
                CCN, you're being ridiculous.

Sincerely,
                Matt Flynn

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X