No announcement yet.

Jim Riggleman...the next Reds manager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Riggleman...the next Reds manager?

Jim Riggleman was promoted to third base coach this year from his AAA manager spot. With quite a bit of major league experience, could he be the Reds' choice should Bryan Price falter early in 2015? Riggleman managed Padres from 1992-94, the Cubs from 1995-99, the Mariners in 2008 and the Nationals from 2009-11.
    The Writer's Journey

I hope not. I wasn't impressed with him in Chicago. I'd rather have Dusty back than Riggleman.

Comment

I definitely think that he was put in that position in the event that Price fails. I really, really hope that Price succeeds. Let's hope that he learned from some of the mistakes of the past. True, he had issues in both San Diego and Chicago but let's keep it real, he did not have the talent at either place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabo-metrics View Post
        I'd rather have Dusty back than Riggleman.
        Shut your mouth!!!

I don't really know anything about Riggleman. I see he has never had a really good team, only 1 full winning season ('98 Cubs), never finished higher than 2nd (and only did that once) in twelve years. Overall W/L 662-824. Not impressed.

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
        I definitely think that he was put in that position in the event that Price fails. I really, really hope that Price succeeds. Let's hope that he learned from some of the mistakes of the past. True, he had issues in both San Diego and Chicago but let's keep it real, he did not have the talent at either place.
        If the Price isn't right, gotta hve someone with experience to try to steer the ship in the short-term until a more suitable replacement is found. I'm sure Price knows that Riggleman is there to take over, and hopefully that will motivate him (and the players) to start the season off strong.
        The Writer's Journey

Comment

A guy who bounced around without really much success gets hired and now everyone's calling him the next manager or a threat to Price?

This isn't the first time a former manager has taken a lesser position so as to keep coaching at the MLB level. What makes this such a story?
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Riggleman quit in Washington because Rizzo wouldn't give him an extension. That was a bold move, considering he could've had two division titles in three years. That, or he could've failed miserably with the talent D.C. has.

No threat to Price at all. This gives him another coach with experience and another voice in his ear. He's been at Louisville the last 2-3 seasons.

Also, no guarantee yet if the Reds are "all in" on 2015 yet as they were in 2012.
            sigpic
            World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
            NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
            NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
            NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
              A guy who bounced around without really much success gets hired and now everyone's calling him the next manager or a threat to Price?

This isn't the first time a former manager has taken a lesser position so as to keep coaching at the MLB level. What makes this such a story?
              I think the timing is suspect. What was the reason for Steve Smith's departure? If he voluntarily left, sure a promotion within the ranks is not out of the question. But if Smith was let go and Riggleman was brought in, after the year the Reds had in 2014 and all the expectations (locally at least), it sure looks like an insurance policy.

I know 2014 wasn't all Price's fault. Injuries to key players hurt terribly. Someone has to serve as the scapegoat, however, and that someone is generally the manager.
              The Writer's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Nutt View Post
                Also, no guarantee yet if the Reds are "all in" on 2015 yet as they were in 2012.
                There are holes in the lineup, and questions when it comes to injuries. However, it's clear that 2015 is the last dance with the current starting rotation. Losing Cueto to free agency will be seen as a deathblow. I do not expect the Reds to retain his services as he should be one of the most highly sought after starters on the market.
                The Writer's Journey

Comment

I do not know about 2015 being the last dance. I hope that the Reds sign either Latos or Cueto. I do not believe they can afford both. If one of them goes by that time Robert Stephenson should be ready. Also if Cingrani can stay healthy, he takes another spot in the rotation. Can they sign Leake? I don't know.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X