No announcement yet.

2015 Reds Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it looks like we got our hopes up for nothing. The 1990 "throwbacks" look awful. Too baggy, baggy full length sweatpants and dorks cuffing their pants at the knee. This is too bad because I was looking forward to it. It's damn Majestic. Majestic cannot make a decent looking baseball uniform.
    The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

I know that it is early but this sure does feel like last year. Bailey is done for the year. It appears that Meso is probably finished as well. As much as I love Brandon Phillips, he is only hitting .289 right now with a .319 OBP. Frazier is hitting for power but his average is putrid at .215. Bruce and Byrd are both batting a robust .181 and are leading the team in strikeouts. You just cannot have a productive lineup when three guys that you are counting on are hitting .220 or below. Votto and Cozart are carrying the offense but they need some help. At this point, I have to begin questioning the medical team of the Reds. Players get injured but something is just not right. Bailey has surgery and rehabs but then has Tommy John surgery. Bruce has not been even close to the same player since he had knee surgery.

Comment

Well here it is the end of May and we are now a proverbial train wreck. Eight straight losses and they have been sloppy. Poor hitting, poor pitching, and now poor defense. The Reds really need a total organization change at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
          The Reds really need a total organization change at this point.
          This has been true for a while. The Reds were out of contention in 2015 before the season even started. Their offense is deceptive in that it's far worse than appears. Last year's debacle was not solely a matter of injuries. The front office under Jocketty has largely lived off the accumulated acquisitions of previous regimes while failing to adequately supplement the existing talent over the past six years or so. Jocketty's modus operandi appears to be little more than bringing over retreads from his time in St. Louis. Bryan Price - a pitching coach by trade - hasn't been able to do squat with our bevy of pitching talent, and he's clearly unable to manage himself, much less the team. In four months Johnny Cueto and Mike Leake and Aroldis Chapman will be wearing different uniforms. However, Cincy will still be saddled with the contracts of Brandon Phillips and Homer Bailey.

To have made a run at 2015 would have required a barren farm system and larger payroll and even then the result to the 25-man roster would have been insufficient for sustained success. The Reds' window of opportunity for this summer was two years ago. That things have fallen apart so quickly is saddening, but it's merely the consequence of the direction plotted - and actions taken - by the front office over the past several years.

At this point the need for a total rebuild should be obvious, but that rebuild should be set out on by someone with the vision to see more than one year at-a-time down the road.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Yes, it has been ugly. 9 losses in a row. Losing a home series to Colorado. Not good. But then, a sweep of the first place Nationals over the weekend. It's been ugly, but they are 5 games out of the WC. All is not lost and the season is only a third over. Obviously things need to improve. I'm not saying it looks good, but i'm no saying it's over just yet either. We get two series vs. Philly over the next 2 weeks. Need to beat up on them.

G Man

Comment

That is a question that I posted on another blog. If we are in rebuilding mode, is Walt Jocketty the man that you want to orchestrate that? He has proven throughout his career that he is weak in building a good minor league system. The Reds have improved especially in the pitching but their offensive woes are present throughout the organization. I hope that the Reds can rise to the occasion but unfortunately this roster is badly flawed. If we get a run going, I am afraid that we will begin to think that we are better than we are so we will hold on to Cueto, Leake, and Chapman. Look at what Tampa Bay did last season. They were in contention but they still unloaded Price. Of course that set them on a course in which they did not win the division but they improved their organization and got something substantial in return.

Comment

That is a question that I posted on another blog. If we are in rebuilding mode, is Walt Jocketty the man that you want to orchestrate that? He has proven throughout his career that he is weak in building a good minor league system. The Reds have improved especially in the pitching but their offensive woes are present throughout the organization. I hope that the Reds can rise to the occasion but unfortunately this roster is badly flawed. If we get a run going, I am afraid that we will begin to think that we are better than we are so we will hold on to Cueto, Leake, and Chapman. Look at what Tampa Bay did last season. They were in contention but they still unloaded Price. Of course that set them on a course in which they did not win the division but they improved their organization and got something substantial in return.
                Its a give and take. It is possible the Reds will be in contention. It's always possible they wont. More than likely, they'll be caught somewhere in between. Cueto is a # 1, but he still just be a rental for a team that acquires him. That takes his trade value down a bit. Leake is the same way, but he isnt a top tier as Cueto. Given that they'll both be gone anyways, i'm fine with trading them and getting something in return, as long as we believe that something is better than the draft picks we'd get when they left in free agency anyways. Chappy is a whole different story. He could bring a nice return because he still has 3 years of club control. Then again, do the Reds want to move him and turn a bad bullpen into a non existant one? Should make for an interesting summer.

G Man

Comment

This may seem counter-intuitive given that Jocketty's been at the helm of this organization for eight seasons, but Wayne Krivsky (and, to a lesser extent, Dan O'Brien) deserves more credit for the Reds' postseason appearances in the five year span of 2010-14. Virtually all of the core players during these years were on the team prior to Jocketty's arrival. I credit Castellini for increasing payroll (as revenues have certainly shot up over the past decade), but other than that, I'm unconvinced he has been good for the franchise and his nepotism in bringing Jocketty over here ruined the good thing the Reds had going.

Jocketty is definitely not the man for the job and should, along with Price, already be gone from the premises. The problem is that Castellini believes the team can still compete for a wildcard, which is simply absurd. It's one thing for fans to believe this - and that's a good thing for revenue and fan morale - but when ownership/management don't know where the team actually stands on the success cycle, that spells trouble for the franchise. It's Jocketty's job to keep the owner accurately appraised of where the team is, where it's going, and to lay out a vision (i.e. options) for moving forward on the basis of that assessment. If the owner gives a thumbs down, the GM has still done his job (if less persuasively). Jocketty, I suspect, hasn't even tried to sell Castellini on the inevitable outcome of the Reds' situation for the past couple years. They should have began selling at last year's trade deadline. The damage is all but done now and we are witnessing the slow and inevitable result of a front office that kept hoping band aids (i.e. Marlon Byrd) would fix long-term problems.

As A.J. Preller's hiring in San Diego proves, a daring and adept GM can turn things around quickly. I would love to see the Reds take on a guy like John Coppolella (Braves) or Mike Hazen (Red Sox) heading into the trade season. Especially given the urgency of trading Cueto before Hamels is traded, setting the ceiling for Cincinnati on a return package.
                  "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                  "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

Originally posted by gman5431 View Post
                    Its a give and take. It is possible the Reds will be in contention. It's always possible they wont. More than likely, they'll be caught somewhere in between. Cueto is a # 1, but he still just be a rental for a team that acquires him. That takes his trade value down a bit. Leake is the same way, but he isnt a top tier as Cueto. Given that they'll both be gone anyways, i'm fine with trading them and getting something in return, as long as we believe that something is better than the draft picks we'd get when they left in free agency anyways. Chappy is a whole different story. He could bring a nice return because he still has 3 years of club control. Then again, do the Reds want to move him and turn a bad bullpen into a non existant one? Should make for an interesting summer.
                    You hit the nail on the head re: Cueto and Leake, G-man. Of course, I prefer the Reds be proactive about these things and target minor league prospects they find more projectable. Incidentally, in order to get a compensation pick, the Reds would have to make a qualifying offer to each player and doing so to Leake (unlike Cueto) would greatly enhance the chance he accepts. Not worth the risk there (as they'd be overpaying for Leake). As for Chapman, he becomes a free agent after next year (2016); the Reds only have him for one more year after the current season. In other words, this summer is the best time to leverage him.

Comment

Well here we are almost to the All-Star break and it appears that we will not be playing "relevant baseball" for the balance of this season. The sad irony is that no moves have been made and according to Jocketty, it has been "quiet" on the trade front. Why is he not working the phones trying to see what the interest might be? Is he just waiting for his phone to ring? It is very disappointing to see that this organization seems to be unsure as to the course of action needed.

Comment

Well here we are almost to the All-Star break and it appears that we will not be playing "relevant baseball" for the balance of this season. The sad irony is that no moves have been made and according to Jocketty, it has been "quiet" on the trade front. Why is he not working the phones trying to see what the interest might be? Is he just waiting for his phone to ring? It is very disappointing to see that this organization seems to be unsure as to the course of action needed.
                        The one thing I fear: winning six of seven this week and Castellini says "buy", they come out playing .500 after the break and never recover.
                        sigpic
                        World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
                        NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
                        NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
                        NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

Someone should tell Joe Buck that the 1869 Cincinnati club was known as the Red Stockings, not the Red Legs.

Comment

While it's been reported that Castellini is the one responsible for the organization dragging its feet, I've read nothing to indicate that Jocketty has been trying to push Castellini into sell mode. Furthermore, I can't recall a year in his career where Jocketty was ever in sell mode mid-season, regardless of whether or not the team needed to. His bread-and-butter has been being a buyer in July.

The team needs to dump anyone on the big league roster that they can get value for and use the savings to bulk up their scouting and player development in the meantime. As a Reds fan, I don't mind a genuine rebuild so long as there's a plan, but it doesn't seem like Castellini understands that's what is necessary at this point and, even if he's willing, Jocketty isn't the man for the job.

In an ideal world, I'd go online tomorrow to read that Jocketty and Price had been fired; that Riggleman is the interim GM and Jerry Dipoto has been hired as the interim GM.

I just want to see the Reds get some blue chip prospects in the next two weeks.

Comment

It troubles me that there appears to be a "disconnect" in the organization. In my humble opinion, these next two weeks are critical in the "five year plan" for this organization. We are possibly trading one of the most successful pitchers in recent history in Cueto but yet Jocketty is in Sarasota watching Amir Garrett. Why? I realize that you can trade players on the phone but it would appear that he would be in Cincinnati with his "staff" to help him make the right decisions.

The one player that troubles me right now is Jay Bruce. Has he finally figured it out or is he just on one of his patented hot streaks and is destined to cool off very soon? If the Jay Bruce of the past two months is the future Bruce, we need to keep him.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X