So long Johnny Beisbol!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So long Johnny Beisbol!

We all knew that it was coming but it was still a shock to finally hear that Cueto is no longer a Red. I am pretty happy with our return of young prospects but they are just that...young prospects. However they seem to be stockpiling young pitching but where are the hitters? We used to have all of the hitting but no pitching. I wish that we could balance it and get some young hitting prospects as well. However they probably are not done dealing. I would think that Byrd, Pena, and Leake will be gone by July 31.

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
    However they probably are not done dealing. I would think that Byrd, Pena, and Leake will be gone by July 31.
    I would not be surprised to see Chapman dealt as well. I haven't really heard much buzz about Byrd or Pena, but Leake and Bruce seem to be brought up a lot in the rumor mill around here.
    The Writer's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
      We all knew that it was coming but it was still a shock to finally hear that Cueto is no longer a Red. I am pretty happy with our return of young prospects but they are just that...young prospects. However they seem to be stockpiling young pitching but where are the hitters? We used to have all of the hitting but no pitching. I wish that we could balance it and get some young hitting prospects as well. However they probably are not done dealing. I would think that Byrd, Pena, and Leake will be gone by July 31.
      One can only hope. Jocketty is woefully behind virtually every trend in MLB front offices over the past 15+ years. We should be targeting impact hitting prospects as our primary (not secondary) targets. I'm not sure Jocketty could have done better with KC in the Cueto deal. Happy to have Finnegan, however. Still, with Iglesias, Cingrani, Lorenzen and potentially Finnegan, Hoover and Stephenson in next year's rotation (on top of Bailey), we ought to be pretty well done making a pitcher our primary target in these deadline deals.
      The Reds ought to trade everything that's not nailed down on the big league roster at this point, so long as they get quality prospects in return. They can always pick up roster filler for the big leagues over the next year or two in the off-season. Always plenty of cheap veterans around.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

With four days left, however, I'm skeptical even Chapman gets dealt at this point. Jocketty has already come out and announced Frazier is off the table, which automatically kills our best prospect-hauling opportunity. Ugh.
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Keeping Frazier will prove to be a huge front office blunder. He is only under club control for two more years. We are not going to be good for two or more years. By the time that we are good, he will test the free agent market. I think the Reds should use the Tampa Bay model. Tampa signed Longoria to a long term deal and frankly that has not worked out great. We signed Votto but then we turned around and signed Bailey as well. That looks to be a mistake as well. If we are indeed small market, we need to move these guys in their final year of club control and get young prospects that are under club control for five years or so. Frazier is not going to be any more valuable than he is right now. Sadly I think that Castellini is trying to appease the fan base rather than building a sustainable winning product. Unfortunately Walt Jocketty is not a man that can work within that system. We are trying to put a round peg in a square hole.
          Last edited by icee82; 07-28-2015, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X