A 1906 "Sporting Life" tidbit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 1906 "Sporting Life" tidbit

I'm working on a biography of William Ellsworth "Dummy" Hoy (1862-1961), and trying to fill in the gaps peppering the text and footnotes ("gaps" referring to missing page citations, DOBs, details, data, anything I'm not sure about). I have a tidbit from the May 19, 1906 issue of Spoting Life:

“Dummy” Hoy’s New Role.
    “Farmer” Billy Hoy, who is tilling the soil near Clover Nook, the historic home of the Cary Sisters—Ohio’s sister poets—has found total retirement too irksome, and has joined the College Hills, of the Saturday League—John E. Bruce’s organization, which began its championship race last week. Claude Munson was once with that team and “Red” Dooin’s brother is an outfielder in left, playing beside the famous mute.11
    Sporting Life, Vol. 47, No. 10 (May 19, 1906), p. 18, col. 3

I've found ample information on the Cary sisters and Clovernook (now Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired), although I haven't yet been able to ascertain just where Hoy's farm was, and what's there now. I found a single reference to it becoming the "Homestead Country Club," but nothing further. I haven't been able to trace the "Saturday League" allusion, though. Red Dooin is well-known as a great defensive catcher, but I haven't been able to find any information about his family background, or this mysterious brother. Nor have I been able to find anything about Claude Munson.

Any elucidation will be greatly appreciated.

There are other references to the Saturday League (and at least one other similarly-named league) in The Sporting News:

http://search.la84foundation.org/sea...&proxyreload=1

Comment

Dooin's brother is Bob Dooin. I wonder if Claude Munson is actually Clarence Munson.sat league.jpgDooin.jpgMunson, Clarence.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X