2016 Reds Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Reds Season Thread

Well, this year looks like it's going to be a real downer for Cincinnati. Discuss their woeful campaign here.

We have some great position players, offensively and defensively. The fact that the front office spent little-to-no money on the bullpen for the past few seasons is almost criminal. I feel like the team was denied a chance to compete this season and last season. Especially when you consider we could still have Todd Frazier and Aroldis Chapman this year.

When a team has a bad bullpen, it rips the heart out of a team. No lead is safe, and it puts undue pressure on the offense.

I'm not saying we could catch the Cubs, but it has never been easier to get in the playoffs with the 2 wild-card format. This team is, and has been only a few pieces away from being very good.

Comment

We have some great position players, offensively and defensively. The fact that the front office spent little-to-no money on the bullpen for the past few seasons is almost criminal. I feel like the team was denied a chance to compete this season and last season. Especially when you consider we could still have Todd Frazier and Aroldis Chapman this year.

When a team has a bad bullpen, it rips the heart out of a team. No lead is safe, and it puts undue pressure on the offense.

I'm not saying we could catch the Cubs, but it has never been easier to get in the playoffs with the 2 wild-card format. This team is, and has been only a few pieces away from being very good.

Comment

I think one reason why they went for the rebuild is that the nl central is stacked. The team was very bad last year and that was with chapman and Frazier. I think the rebuild was a good decision but the execution was not good. Both the chapman and the Frazier trade occurred at a very bad time so the return was not good. Chapman was not their fault of course, they couldn't have known he did that stuff but Frazier probably should have been traded earlier or maybe later but not after that bad second half.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabo-metrics View Post

If the Reds kept Chapman and Frazier and Cueto - they'd be spending 100 million per year for a mediocre team that wouldn't ever be good enough to win it all. Rebuilding is a much better idea that paying $$$ for mediocrity. High-priced teams that are not very good is the WORST place to be in sports. Unfortunately, the Reds handcuffed themselves from a true rebuild when they spent more than they could for Votto and couldn't find trade partners for Phillips when they could have, and payed WAY too much for homer Bailey based on a couple of fluky great starts. Now they are stuck in the second worst place to be - trying to rebuild with several expensive/old pieces that can't be moved.

This is why the Cards canned Jocketty. They saw the way baseball management was moving and Walt wanted no part of it. Walt's way of GMing no longer works and he has run the Reds into the ground.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Adam Duvall -- where did this guy come from??

Comment

I know they were terrible in 2015 with Chapman and Frazier, but they had no bullpen. Our opening day set up man was Kevin Gregg. It seemed to me, management was short-arming a run at the playoffs.

And I don't understand why everyone thinks if you're bad one year, you will never be good. The Blue Jays and Mariners spent money, weren't very good, and kept the team together. Now both teams are playoff contenders.

With the position players Cincy has, they have a shot to contend every single year. We just need a vet who's been there, and a bullpen. I'm not saying WS champs for sure, but with 2 wild cards, you never know.

Personally, I'd rather watch a mediocre team trying to scrape into the playoffs all summer, than a semi-rebuild where there is no reason to care about the outcome.

Comment

it is true that a good Team can have a bad year but it wasn't just the bullpen. the lineup has some good Players but was quite bad at the bottom. the 3-5 Starters were pretty terrible. those top heavy Teams rarely work unless all the role Players have a career year. sure they did have one or two bounce back candidates but I don't think that Team would have been a good bet going into a race with the cubs, Cards and pirates (even though they slump now).

still I don't think they are doing that rebuild well.
                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                  it is true that a good Team can have a bad year but it wasn't just the bullpen. the lineup has some good Players but was quite bad at the bottom. the 3-5 Starters were pretty terrible. those top heavy Teams rarely work unless all the role Players have a career year. sure they did have one or two bounce back candidates but I don't think that Team would have been a good bet going into a race with the cubs, Cards and pirates (even though they slump now).

still I don't think they are doing that rebuild well.
                  and it doesn't help with a well inexperienced manager who was a great pitching coach and now focuses more on managing the team than his pitching expertise. I like what I see out of Suarez and Duvall. Time will only tell about how the young arms will fare. Finnegan is a top-line starter, but the jury is out on all of the other arms to me, whether they become bullpen arms or starters (Lorenzen, Iglesias, Reed, Lamb)
                  sigpic
                  World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
                  NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
                  NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
                  NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X