2B: Joe Morgan, Bid McPhee
    3B: Pete Rose, Heinie Groh
    SS: Barry Larkin, Dave Concepcion
    LF: George Foster
    CF: Vada Pinson, Edd Roush, Eric Davis
    RF: Frank Robinson
    SP: Noodles Hahn, Eppa Rixey, Bucky Walters, Frank Dwyer, Jose Rijo
    RP: John Franco, Clay Carroll, Aroldis Chapman, Rob Dibble, Jeff Shaw

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Reds players were together in their Reds prime?

The way I see it is the starting rotation would be among the best in baseball with a lights out bullpen. The lineup would be by far the best in baseball. Excellent bench as well. All that said 120 wins should be possible.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

it makes me happy to see Vada Pinson on the roster. When George Foster or Eric Davis or Joey Votto have the "least accomplished" careers on an all-time roster of position players, you know that team is good.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
      it makes me happy to see Vada Pinson on the roster. When George Foster or Eric Davis or Joey Votto have the "least accomplished" careers on an all-time roster of position players, you know that team is good.
      Yeah the only weakness that I see (not that it's a weakness) is starting pitching. Still excellent with Jose Rijo as the 5th starter, but perhaps lacking in household names.
      My dream ballpark dimensions
      LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
      RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
      Location....San Diego

Comment

I'd personally have Edd Roush in center over Vada Pinson, as Edd was a significantly better hitter and fielder, although Pinson was probably the better baserunner, as he picked his spots to run better.
        R.I.P. Scott Sanderson (1956-2019)

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
          Yeah the only weakness that I see (not that it's a weakness) is starting pitching. Still excellent with Jose Rijo as the 5th starter, but perhaps lacking in household names.
          The Reds have had a handful of second-place finishes in the Cy Young race that you might consider. Tom Seaver (1981), Mario Soto (1982), Danny Jackson (1988), Pete Schourek (1995), and Johnny Cueto (2014). I would have a hard time leaving Seaver and Soto off the roster.
          The Writer's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
            I'd personally have Edd Roush in center over Vada Pinson, as Edd was a significantly better hitter and fielder, although Pinson was probably the better baserunner, as he picked his spots to run better.
            Agreed. I might also leave Shaw off the roster and add Big Klu as a good bat off the bench/DH when playing in the World Series in AL parks.
            The Writer's Journey

Comment

My starting pitchers would be Rixey, Walters, Derringer, Maloney,and Soto. I can just imagine how many games that rotation would win with the Machine behind them and that bullpen available when needed.
              27 World Championships
              22 retired numbers
              Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
              Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

I'll play.

C – Johnny Bench, Ernie Lombardi
                1B – Joey Votto, Ted Kluszewski
                2B – Joe Morgan, Lonny Frey
                3B – Heinie Groh, Tony Perez
                SS – Barry Larkin, Dave Concepcion
                LF – Pete Rose, George Foster
                CF – Vada Pinson, Eric Davis
                RF – Frank Robinson

SP – Jose Rijo, Jim Maloney, Noodles Hahn, Bucky Walters, Red Lucas
                RP – Aroldis Chapman, John Franco, Ted Abernathy, Jeff Shaw, Clay Carroll

Thing is...the choices really aren't that hard for the position players; not that many options. Pitchers are a different story, of course.
                "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X