X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zito75
    A's Super Moderator
    • Jun 2003

I'm happy that Mark Redman had some quality stuff and that he got the W. :cap:
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• Old Sweater
      Rox 2007 NL Champs
      • Oct 2006

By ARNIE STAPLETON
      TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -After only a half season as their closer, Manny Corpas agreed to a four-year contract with the Colorado Rockies worth $22 million if the team exercises options for 2012 and 2013.

The 25-year-old Panamanian right-hander replaced three-time All-Star Brian Fuentes as Colorado's closer last season. He played an integral role in the club's first World Series berth, where the Rockies lost to the Boston Red Sox.

After earning the closer job on July 7, Corpas saved 19-of-20 games and went 4-2 with a 2.08 ERA, the lowest by a reliever in club history. He starred in the playoffs, going 1-0 with a 0.87 ERA in nine appearances.

Corpas' deal is the longest signed by a Rockies reliever and comes six weeks after shortstop Troy Tulowitzki signed a six-year, $31 million contract, the largest signed by a second-year player.

Corpas, who signed as a non-drafted free agent in 1999, is among the first wave of players to graduate from the Rockies' fledgling Latin American program. He made his first big league appearance on July 18, 2006, and is 5-4 with a 2.53 ERA in 113 career appearances, including 78 last season.

The 2012 club option would cover Corpas' final year of arbitration and the '13 option would cover his first year of free agency.

http://sports.myway.com/news/02282008/v1772.html

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a plesant surpise.

Comment

• Zito75
        A's Super Moderator
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
        Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a plesant surpise.
        Indeed. Manny is a good guy and is popular with the 'graphers here in town. I'll be sure to pass along best wishes to him from the folks here at BBF!
        WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• PJ-34
          • Oct 2006

What's the stadium called that the Rockies use in Arizona?

Comment

• Altitude
            Rockpiler
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Steveo-34 View Post
            What's the stadium called that the Rockies use in Arizona?
            Hi-Corbett Field
            Denver Bears* (1955-1985)/ Zephyrs (1985-1992)
            Colorado Rockies (1993-Present)
            1995 2007 2009
            * - preferred name

Comment

• Old Sweater
              Rox 2007 NL Champs
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
              Indeed. Manny is a good guy and is popular with the 'graphers here in town. I'll be sure to pass along best wishes to him from the folks here at BBF!

A guy(don't follow baseball) I know at the TableSteaks(South)pool hall, came up to me and asked if I had ever heard of a Manny Corpas that played for the Rockies. I said sure, that kid has greatness written all over him from what I have seen. Turns out, Danny(who speaks spanish) had given Manny a ride home from the pool hall when his car was in the shop, and on the way home he told Danny he had just been called up by the Rockies, to play for them. Danny gives pool lessons and set some up for Manny who enjoys the game, but I don't know if Danny ever gave him any.
              Last edited by Old Sweater; 03-01-2008, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Zito75
                A's Super Moderator
                • Jun 2003

A guy(don't follow baseball) I know at the TableSteaks(South)pool hall, came up to me and asked if I had ever heard of a Manny Corpas that played for the Rockies. I said sure, that kid has greatness written all over him from what I have seen. Turns out, Danny(who speaks spanish) had given Manny a ride home from the pool hall when his car was in the shop, and on the way home he told Danny he had just been called up by the Rockies, to play for them. Danny gives pool lessons and set some up for Manny who enjoys the game, but I don't know if Danny ever gave him any.
                Interesting story- Where does Danny live?
                WAR? Prove it!

Comment

• Old Sweater
                  Rox 2007 NL Champs
                  • Oct 2006

Interesting story- Where does Danny live?

Danny lives in South Denver(near Federal Heights) that is close to Englewood where Manny had a apartment his rookie year when he was first called up by the Rockies. The TableSteaks(South) pool hall is right in the old downtown Englewood area.(Broadway & Hampton)
                  Last edited by Old Sweater; 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Old Sweater
                    Rox 2007 NL Champs
                    • Oct 2006

Hey Zito. Did you get to see Morales pitch yesterday?

Any rumors about Hirsh's sore shoulder?

Comment

• Zito75
                      A's Super Moderator
                      • Jun 2003

Hey Zito. Did you get to see Morales pitch yesterday?

Any rumors about Hirsh's sore shoulder?
                      Missed Morales throwing but I did hear part of the game on the radio since I was working. Saw Hirsh a couple days ago and he seemed fine- I'm betting he has some minor irritation or something. He's been working hard this Spring so he might need a little break or something.

Todd Helton will be serving as a DH this weekend for the AA and AAA games going on at the minor league complex. He'll be guaranteed at least 1 AB per inning. I'll try to get some pics if I can make it down to the field this weekend.
                      WAR? Prove it!

Comment

• Old Sweater
                        Rox 2007 NL Champs
                        • Oct 2006

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Zito75
                          A's Super Moderator
                          • Jun 2003

We were rained out in Tucson today! Temp was in the low 40's with lots of rain and hail. Wind even picked up- reminded me a little of growing up on the Puget Sound!
                          WAR? Prove it!

Comment

• Old Sweater
                            Rox 2007 NL Champs
                            • Oct 2006

We were rained out in Tucson today! Temp was in the low 40's with lots of rain and hail. Wind even picked up- reminded me a little of growing up on the Puget Sound!
                            Yeah, the wind blew the rain right into Colorado where it turned to snow.

At least the weather missed Phoenix.

Comment

• Old Sweater
                              Rox 2007 NL Champs
                              • Oct 2006

Rockies 2008

2008 Colorado Rockies Capsule
                              3 hours, 27 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintBy Kevin Pedersen PA SportsTicker Staff Writer

Arrivals: 2B Marcus Giles, RHPs Josh Towers, Kip Wells and Luis Vizcaino, OF Scott Podsednik

Departures: 2B Kazuo Matsui, RHPs Josh Fogg and LaTroy Hawkins, LHP Jeremy Affeldt

Projected Starters:

C - Yorvit Torrealba (.255/8/47) 1B - Todd Helton (.320/17/91) 2B - Jayson Nix (.292/11/58 in Class AAA) SS - Troy Tulowitzki (.291/24/99) 3B - Garrett Atkins (.301/25/101) LF - Matt Holliday (.340/36/137) CF - Willy Taveras (.320/2/24) RF - Brad Hawpe (.291/29/116)

Projected Rotation:

ADVERTISEMENT

LHP - Jeff Francis (17-9, 4.22) RHP - Aaron Cook (8-7, 4.12) RHP - Ubaldo Jimenez (4-4, 4.28) RHP - Jason Hirsh (5-7, 4.81) LHP - Franklin Morales (3-2, 3.43)

Projected Closer:

RHP - Manny Corpas (4-2, 2.08, 19 saves)

Comment

• Old Sweater
                                Rox 2007 NL Champs
                                • Oct 2006

TUCSON — The Rockies moved closer to finalizing their rotation Sunday by shifting Kip Wells to the bullpen, and all but declared Jayson Nix the starter at second base by cutting ties with Marcus Giles.

Technically, the Giles matter remains unresolved, but the Rockies are attempting to trade him to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Giles told teammates goodbye after the Rockies' 8-2 victory over the Dodgers at Hi Corbett Field. He is pulling for a trade, revealing that he would not accept a Triple-A assignment.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_8672916

The Rockies and Hurdle surprised me with sending Wells to the bullpen in ST. I didn't think that they would concede the fact that the 3.1mil signing of Wells was to much, plus the front office don't like to eat that egg on their face before the regular season starts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X