Kemp, Dodgers searching for power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kemp, Dodgers searching for power

Dodgers manager Joe Torre isn't surprised by his club's lack of power this season, but he does expect a little bit of help from center fielder Matt Kemp.

Kemp is hitting .293 with six home runs and 42 RBIs this season, and Torre thinks the No. 6 hitter's power numbers will improve once he adjusts his swing and stops putting so much weight on his front foot.

"I think he will [be a better power hitter] once he stays behind the ball a little bit more," Torre said. "Right now, he jumps at a lot of stuff. Again, he works on it every day. He just needs to take it from the batting cage to the game. It's going to happen eventually, it just hasn't happened yet."

Kemp has just three homers in the month of June, but hit his third on Thursday against Cincinnati. He went 2-for-5 with three RBIs in the game. And with a Dodgers offense that is just now starting to score runs more consistently, any help Kemp can provide in the future will be helpful.

From May 23 through Tuesday, the Dodgers had scored just 70 runs -- fewer than any other Major League team during that span.

Their first semblance of productive offense since the first game of their nine-game road trip didn't come until Wednesday night, when James Loney, Juan Pierre and Andre Ethier each recorded multi-hit games. One of Loney's hits was a home run.

The Dodgers were productive again with their bats on Thursday, when they defeated the Reds, 7-4.

"I didn't expect us to have a great deal of power," Torre said. "Any time I've had clubs with power, yeah, it's a nice option to have. But I still think the players themselves are searching for what they realistically can do on a regular basis and what they want the result to be."

2008 Interleague schedule
    • May 16 at Angels: Lost, 4-2
    • May 17 at Angels: Won, 6-3
    • May 18 at Angels: Lost, 10-2
    • June 13 at Tigers: Lost, 5-0
    • June 14 at Tigers: Lost, 12-7
    • June 15 at Tigers: Lost, 5-4
    • June 20-22 vs. Indians
    • June 24-26 vs. White Sox
    • June 27-29 vs. Angels

Pitching matchup
    LAD: LHP Clayton Kershaw (0-1, 3.75 ERA)
    Kershaw was locked in a scoreless duel through four innings when rain interrupted his previous start against the Tigers. Management wouldn't let him return when the game continued 47 minutes later. Kershaw struck out two and walked two, escaping a first-inning mess with a double-play grounder. The two walks continue to illustrate the highest hurdle he needs to clear.

CLE: LHP Cliff Lee (10-1, 2.55 ERA)
    In his last outing, Lee was hardly the pitcher who had displayed razor-sharp control early in the season. Pitching against the Padres, he threw 105 pitches in 6 1/3 innings, and just 67 of those pitches were strikes. Still, Lee kept the damage to a minimum, and he would have picked up his 11th win if the bullpen had protected the 3-2 lead he gave it.

Tidbits
    Nomar Garciaparra went to Boston on Thursday to see a physical therapist about his ailing calf, Torre said. He was a game-time scratch from the lineup in Triple-A Las Vegas' game on Wednesday after he felt discomfort that morning, but he's expected to return to the lineup Friday to continue his rehab assignment. ... The Dodgers are 7-1 against the Reds this season. ... Loney has hit safely in 16 straight starts and is batting .421 in the month of June. ... Andy LaRoche could get some consideration to play second base this weekend against Cleveland.

At this point we'll take power from anybody
    Originally posted by bhss89
    "Hi. My name is John. I'd like you to meet my fastball. Can you catch up to it?
    Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
    Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
    Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

Comment

We have a pretty good pitching staff and an anemic offense. This is a mixture of2003 and 2005 all over again.
      SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
      "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X