Move Martin to 3B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move Martin to 3B?

Something I've been thinking about for a while: Russell Martin came up as a third baseman before moving to catcher. He's great at both defensively, and he hits better than most other catchers. One thing he has that the other good hitting catchers that the others don't is speed. The longer you catch, the more your hamstrings shorten, slowing you down. So, my thought is, would it be a good idea to move Martin to 3B permenantly?
    Originally posted by bhss89
    "Hi. My name is John. I'd like you to meet my fastball. Can you catch up to it?
    Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
    Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
    Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

No because he's a Hall of Fame bound catcher and a great defensive asset at his position. Those don't come along very often, less than once a decade, if that.

We just signed Pablo Ozuna today so we've got a guy who can play infield, making this thread irrelevant. His OPS+ of 71 isn't mind blowing but it's better than the substitutes we've had at SS/2B/3B in the meantime. Great pickup, cost us only his remaining salary and absolutely zero rookies.
    1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

1889 1890 1899 1900 1916 1920
    1941 1947 1949 1952 1953 1956
    1966 1974 1977 1978

1983 1985 1995 2004 2008 2009
    2013 2014

1996 2006

Comment

After seeing Martin in the All Star Game who would want to even consider taking him off the catching position.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
        After seeing Martin in the All Star Game who would want to even consider taking him off the catching position.
        He's a Raider fan, what do you expect?
        ®î©sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger_Ric View Post
          He's a Raider fan, what do you expect?
          Funny...

But seriously, it would help keep his speed longer...But it's just a thought
          Last edited by blacksilverfan12; 07-24-2008, 04:20 AM.
          Originally posted by bhss89
          "Hi. My name is John. I'd like you to meet my fastball. Can you catch up to it?
          Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
          Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
          Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X