Zack Wheat's # not retired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zack Wheat's # not retired?

I find it curious that the Dodgers' Hall of Fame outfielder from the late deadball era doesn't have a retired number at Dodger Stadium. He played his entire career with us aside from a short stint in Philadelphia at the age of 39. Perhaps he's too far removed from the end of the Brooklyn days/early Los Angeles years where the bulk of the most memorable Dodgers and retired numbers come from?
    1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

1889 1890 1899 1900 1916 1920
    1941 1947 1949 1952 1953 1956
    1966 1974 1977 1978

1983 1985 1995 2004 2008 2009
    2013 2014

1996 2006

The basic problem may be that Zack never wore a number during his career. Numbers were just coming into vogue as his career was winding down.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
      The basic problem may be that Zack never wore a number during his career. Numbers were just coming into vogue as his career was winding down.
      The SF Giants have "retired uniforms" for John McGraw and Christy Mathewson. Also, Ty Cobb, Chuck Klein, Rogers Hornsby, and Pete Alexander have similar retired uniforms.
      Attached Files
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

We also could add to the list Wilbert Robinson, Burleigh Grimes, and Dazzy Vance. The Dodgers should do something for and about them. If the Angel players could ask, as they did, to have 26 retired to represent Gene Autry as the 26th man, the Dodgers can come through for their pre-number Hall of Famers.

Comment

The problem is of players elected to the hall of fame, the dodgers have chosen to only retire two players numbers who played in brooklyn and not la and went into the hof as dodgers. Jackie robinson and roy campanella and if you don't retire Jackie's number it looks pretty bad. Roy campanella would have played in La in 58 had he not been injured. Which means if you didn't play for La, you' ain't gettin your number retired. Maybe the new owners will change that, they really should. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Dynamo, I don't disagree that they should pay more attention to Brooklyn. But I don't think there's anything sinister going on. Unless I am mistaken, the Dodgers didn't start holding Old-Timers Days until the early 1970s after Peter O'Malley took over more of the operation, and the next year, when Koufax was elected, they retired the other two numbers, Robinson's and Campanella's.

But I don't think there was any conspiracy or effort not to recognize Brooklyn. Except for players who might have been passing through--for example, Babe Ruth as 1B coach and gate attraction in 1938--the Dodgers didn't have anyone in the Hall of Fame at that time who had worn a number to be retired (Uncle Robbie, Vance, and Grimes). Since then, the Dodgers have retired the number of everyone who has gone into the Hall of Fame who had an association with Brooklyn, such as Pee Wee Reese and Duke Snider, with the exception of Leo Durocher, who wore #2, which was retired for Lasorda.

I think they could and should have had a ceremony for Durocher anyway, and they should do them for the older ones like Wheat and the others, and even for the executives like MacPhail, Rickey and O'Malley.

Comment

I didn't say it was sinister, it just seems to be an un written rule. which the evidence attests to. Is there any player who played for La that went into the hall of fame as a dodger who hasn't had his number retired? Seems this system was implemented by management and stands till today. The Giants do seem more willing to honor more of their new york players who only played in NY. I'm not saying retire all the numbers enmass, but come on zack wheat, dazzy vance and uncle robbie deserve their numbers retired. I don't think any body who claims to be a dodger fan and knows the history can deny that. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo.

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                The problem is of players elected to the hall of fame, the dodgers have chosen to only retire two players numbers who played in brooklyn and not la and went into the hof as dodgers. Jackie robinson and roy campanella and if you don't retire Jackie's number it looks pretty bad. Roy campanella would have played in La in 58 had he not been injured. Which means if you didn't play for La, you' ain't gettin your number retired. Maybe the new owners will change that, they really should. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
                It's very simple--If you went into the HoF as a Dodger and wore a uniform number, that number is retired. If you didn't wear a number there's nothing to retire. That's the point of retiring numbers--so no one else can wear them. Retiring a "uniform" is taking the original purpose of retiring numbers and turning it into something else.

Comment

Then what are the Giants doing by honoring christy mathewson and John Mcgraw under the "retired numbers" banner neither had numbers and It has their name And NY. The dodgers could easily do this with the three I mentioned with BKLN underneath. Ok, if it's not dodger policy then they could chane it. In doubt, Just type in Giants retired numbers and the first two you see are mathewson and Mcraw with the NY. or Are we waiting for wilpon to do it in citi field? I know I'm not in my usual forum, I just saw the zack wheat post and thought we all could agree at least on dodger hall of famers being honored. battlin Bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Besides what's interesting is that leo durocher, #2 elected the the baseball hall of fame in 91 didn't have his number retired and he went in as a dodger, oh, that's right they were waiting for tommy lasorda in what was it 97. couldn't have some special ceremony for leo either. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo.

Comment

Then what are the Giants doing by honoring christy mathewson and John Mcgraw under the "retired numbers" banner neither had numbers and It has their name And NY.
                      That's their privilege, but so what? Just because they do it doesn't mean it's the way it should be done. The Yankees, Cardinals and Cubs also don't honor their pre-number Hall of Famers with artificial "uniform retirement" nonsense. Why single out the Dodgers?

Comment

Besides what's interesting is that leo durocher, #2 elected the the baseball hall of fame in 91 didn't have his number retired and he went in as a dodger, oh, that's right they were waiting for tommy lasorda in what was it 97. couldn't have some special ceremony for leo either. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo.
                        Leo was never forgiven for jumping ship to the hated Giants in 1948. No way in hell the Dodgers were going to retire his number.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post
                          Leo was never forgiven for jumping ship to the hated Giants in 1948. No way in hell the Dodgers were going to retire his number.
                          He didn't jump ship. Branch Rickey wanted him out and Shotten back in.

Comment

that's it!, you're right Ed, rickey had the gambling problem with durocher to deal with and leo's stubborness, even then Rickey more or less talked horace stoneham into taking leo. Later the o'm hired him as a coach. leo was a dodger coach during the 62 season. hey, remember the munsters episode, leo even plays as the dodger coach and also in Mister ed meets the dodgers, with koufax and johnny roseborro, Leo played the coach in that too. Why?, because he was working for them at the time and alston just wasn't the TV type. Nobody in la was mad at leo for managing the Giants, we were mad at leo back then, but most of us got over it after he left them at the end of 56. As ring lardner used to say, you can look it up.
                            battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
                            Last edited by dodger dynamo; 08-27-2008, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoMets687 View Post
                              The Yankees, Cardinals and Cubs also don't honor their pre-number Hall of Famers with artificial "uniform retirement" nonsense. Why single out the Dodgers?
                              Wrong on the Cardinals. They have an old STL logo for Rogers Hornsby. The Yankees' earliest great players all wore numbers which is why they don't have a retired logo. With the Cubs, might be because they don't have the room to retire a logo for every pre-number Cub HoFer.
                              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X