No announcement yet.

The 2006 Dodger Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We did it again today. We blew a three run lead in the seventh inning. If we fail to make the playoffs we can look back on the teams inability to hold large leads. We now go into the biggest series of the season virtually tied with the stinken Pods.
    http://www.nflfans.com/x/forumdisplay.php?f=55 :atthepc

Comment

• Tomko SUCKS!!!! I don't want to see him again! :grouchy

Now 4 games against the Padres who own us.

Comment

• Chin up everyone. We gotta regroup and (hopefully) take 3 of 4 against the Madres. The Dodgers can do it; keep in mind that positive thoughts lead to positive outcomes!

Tonight's prediction: Dodgers 3, Madres 0

Maddux scatters 8 hits over 7 innings. Beimel throws the 8th. Saito slams the door in the 9th.
        "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Comment

• Originally posted by bhss89

Tonight's prediction: Dodgers 3, Madres 0

Maddux scatters 8 hits over 7 innings. Beimel throws the 8th. Saito slams the door in the 9th.
          Wow, nice prediction

That was a big win last night and the Giants also lost

Comment

• I guess I wasn't too far off - I just wish that Billingsley could've given the Dodgers a better start last night, but I'll assume that he's not all the way back yet.
            "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Comment

• The Dodgers have got to get to Peavey tonight. They need to put some runs on the board and make a statement that they are not going to lay down to the friggin Padres now or ever. This is getting ridiculous.

Comment

• Dodgers have to win tonight's game. If they don't win this game I'll be very surprised if they win the division. They wouldn't deserve to either. Why the hell can't they beat the stinkin Padres?

And now we have to worry about the Phillies who are playing very well.

Comment

• Last night's game bordered on the unbelievable! Just when all of the naysayers with negative attitudes and "fans" on this board have given up, the team grits it out and hits FOUR HRs in a row, seven in the game, and wins on Nomar's WOHR in extra innings.

GO DODGERS!

Oh, and players/teams that enter into any game with a "must win" attitude seem to rarely be successful. Winners prefer instead to focus on personal goals that are attainable in one particular moment: throw a low fastball, down and away to this hitter; hit a good pitch hard; force a throw from the outfield with a hard turn at second base; make a good throw to the cutoff and he'll do the rest, etc. These small individual successes in turn lead to a team putting itself into a great spot to win each game played. Please go and read The Mental Game of Baseball by Harvey Dorfman to help you understand this concept. It's a "baseball book" that will have you looking at your whole life in a different way. Just ask any ballplayer who's read it and I bet they'll agree.

Enough with the desperation already! The Dodgers are a very good team, and even very good teams hit "bumps in the road" from time to time.

We'd all be better off with Yankee Irving's attitude: "Keep on swingin'!"

Comment

• Originally posted by bhss89
                    Last night's game bordered on the unbelievable! Just when all of the naysayers with negative attitudes and "fans" on this board have given up, the team grits it out and hits FOUR HRs in a row, seven in the game, and wins on Nomar's WOHR in extra innings.

GO DODGERS!

Oh, and players/teams that enter into any game with a "must win" attitude seem to rarely be successful. Winners prefer instead to focus on personal goals that are attainable in one particular moment: throw a low fastball, down and away to this hitter; hit a good pitch hard; force a throw from the outfield with a hard turn at second base; make a good throw to the cutoff and he'll do the rest, etc. These small individual successes in turn lead to a team putting itself into a great spot to win each game played. Please go and read The Mental Game of Baseball by Harvey Dorfman to help you understand this concept. It's a "baseball book" that will have you looking at your whole life in a different way. Just ask any ballplayer who's read it and I bet they'll agree.

Enough with the desperation already! The Dodgers are a very good team, and even very good teams hit "bumps in the road" from time to time.

We'd all be better off with Yankee Irving's attitude: "Keep on swingin'!"
                    I don't think it's a case of naysayers or negative "fans". How do you sugar coat what's happening to our team lately? This team has blown one too many big leads that could cost us the division. That said, we refused to lose last night in what could have been the most exciting game I have ever seen. Hell, Vin was excited.

Comment

• AHAHAHAHAHHAA what a game, I still don't believe it.

Only thing that sucks is that I stopped watching it because I thought the game was over, so I didn't see it live.

That was a huge win.

Comment

• Originally posted by DodgerBlue81
                        AHAHAHAHAHHAA what a game, I still don't believe it.

Only thing that sucks is that I stopped watching it because I thought the game was over, so I didn't see it live.

That was a huge win.
                        Understandable. I almost kicked my foot through the T V screen when they went down by four again in the nineth. I was going to switch to the news, but switched T V's instead. I've been watching baseball for a long time and I've never seen a game like that. We're a streaky team at best. So let's hope we can get on a hot streak and put some distance between us and the hated Pods. The key is winning games a good team is supposed to win. We didn't do that against the Cubs. Let's do it against Tracey and the Pirates.

Comment

• Saturday, September 9, 2006

New York 3, Los Angeles 2 at Shea Stadium

W - Orlando Hernandez (8-6)
                          L - Greg Maddux (3-2)
                          S - Billy Wagner (36)

NY 3 runs, 7 hits, 1 error
                          LA 2 runs, 5 hits, 1 error

HR - Carlos Delgado, NY (37)

Dodgers' record - 75-67 (1st in NL West)

QUICKIE RECAP: One day after Hong-Chih Kuo's impressive debut as a starter (kinda redundant), the Dodgers sent their ace as of late, Greg Maddux, to the mound to take on one of the game's best clutch pitchers. El Duque Hernandez was locked in a duel with the Mad Dog, but the first one to blink was Maddux, who gave up a solo HR to Carlos Delgado in the second inning. LA took the lead in the sixth when Russ Martin singled to snap Hernandez's 15-batters-retired streak and Maddux faked a bunt and swung at a changeup. Jose Reyes made a wild throw to first and one out later Kenny Lofton singled home Martin and then Maddux was caught in a rundown. One out later JD Drew singled Lofton home and all seemed well. Until Maddux pitched the second half of the frame. Former Dodger Jose Valentin doubled to right and Carlos Beltran was intentionally walked. After 72 pitches (does Little believe that Maddux's arm will snap off?), Maddux was removed in favor of former Met prospect Tim Hamulack, who allowed a Delgado fly ball that advanced the runners. Enter gas can Brett Tomko, who made sure David Wright would have a perfect day, and singled home both runners. Billy Wagner pitched the ninth for his 36th save. The Dodgers' loss ensured them a season series loss to the Mets. With the Padres' loss to the Giants, the lead grew by a game, but this is September and the Dodgers haven't won consecutive games since the seven-game win streak in late August. Impeccable timing, isn't it?
                          SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                          "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• Sunday, September 10, 2006

Los Angeles 9, New York 1 at Shea Stadium

W - Eric Stults (1-0)
                            L - Steve Trachsel (14-7)

LA 9 runs, 14 hits, 0 errors
                            NY 1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors

HR - Nomar Garciaparra, LA (17), Jose Reyes, NY (19)

Dodgers' record - 76-67 (1st in NL West)

QUICKIE RECAP: Charley Steiner quipped that it didn't matter if Mark Hendrickson or Eric Stults started this game; the Mets still wouldn't have been able to hit off them. While it is true that the Dodgers confirmed New York's Achilles hell (rookie lefty starters), saying that Hendrickson would have done just as good a job is just plain ludicrous. Stults threw six innings of two-hit ball, and after allowing a single to Endy Chavez, didn't allow a hit until Mets wunderkind Jose Reyes homered in the sixth inning. Steve Trachsel was not so lucky, as he got pounded for four runs and five hits in only 2 2/3 innings and the relief corps fared no better, as Brian Bannister took one for the team, giving up five runs in three innings. What made this game remarkable was that Elmer Dessens, Hendrickson, and Aaron Sele all tossed scoreless innings. Little must have been asleep at the wheel or something, since Brett Tomko didn't enter the game. When these guys all dominate the NL's best team, you know something bad is going to happen soon, since the Dodgers have not been consistent all year.

Comment

• Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Chicago 9, Los Angeles 1 in 11 innings at Wrigley Field

W - David Aardsma (2-0)
                              L - Tim Hamulack (0-3)

CHI 9 runs, 15 hits, 6 errors
                              LA 8 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors

HR - Rafael Furcal, LA (11)

Dodgers' record - 76-68 (1st in NL West)

QUICKIE RECAP: This game made Dodger fans everywhere want to rip out their TVs and burn them in the streets. It made Cub fans want to do the same. When the score is 7-0 in the fifth, you are expected NOT to give up the lead. This game was a prime example of Little being Little, as he left Derek Lowe in too long after the Cubs made every effort to hand the Dodgers the game on a silver platter, but each time the Dodgers refused. Freddie Bynum committed three errors in two innings and that should have been a sign for LA that Chicago REALLY did not want to win. But Lowe gave up five consecutive hits and allowed five runs in the fifth, and the Cubs rallied against the bullpen twice. Sean Marshall was pounded for six hits and seven runs in 3 2/3 innings, but the Dodgers managed only two hits since, including a gift run in the ninth off "closer" Ryan Dempster to tie it up. Then in the 11th with one out, Geovany Soto reached on a fielder's choice and moved over to second when the Musketeer Aramis Ramirez walked. Cesar Izturis continued the Curse of the Former Dodger and singled home the game-winning run (about an hour after I called it), making Dodger fans everywhere wonder how a team could blow a 7-0 lead when the opposition commits six errors. Six of the game's 17 runs were unearned. I guess when the game is very sloppy, the win is somewhat of a Pyrrhic victory.

Comment

• Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Los Angeles 6, Chicago 0 at Wrigley Field

W - Brad Penny (16-8)
                                L - Angel Guzman (0-6)

LA 6 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors
                                CHI 0 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

HR - Rafael Furcal, LA (12)

Dodgers' record - 77-68 (1st in NL West)

QUICKIE RECAP: The cynic in me figured that the Dodgers would give up seven runs in the bottom of the ninth to hand the game to the Cubs. Brad Penny threw seven shutout innings and Rafael Furcal homered for the second time in as many nights, but the real story was Penny being able to dominate sub-.500 teams and struggle against the big boys. The Dodgers pounded starter Angel Guzman, who remains winless in his career against everyone, for eight hits and six runs in four innings of work, including Furcal's three hits. Nomar, JD Drew, Jeff Kent, and Marlon Anderson each had two hits and the bullpen shut out the Cubs offense. Statistically, beating up on a team that's 30 games under .500 shouldn't be too much trouble. But these are the Dodgers, a team that few people have seen play, and if there's one universal truth about them, it's that they're frustratingly inconsistent.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X