Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgers Acquire LHP George Sherrill

Bleacher Report.

Baltimore Orioles left-handed closer George Sherrill has been traded to the Dodgers, according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse. Although it has not been officially announced, Price reportedly has a source close to both teams that the trade was official.

In return for dealing Sherrill the O's most likely will get power-hitting 3B prospect Josh Bell from the Dodgers, although the players acquired in the trade have not become apparent as of right now.

Sherrill was acquired before last-season in the Erik Bedard-Adam Jones trade with the Seattle Mariners and has become a very dependable closer in his time with Baltimore.

He currently has 20 saves with a 2.40 ERA with and three blown saves while pitching in 42 games for the O's.

With the acquisition of Sherrill, the Dodgers add a reliable late-inning reliever to a bullpen that has been suspect so far this season.
    Josh Bell seems to be a fairly high price for Sherrill, although it does seem like he's destined for 1B/LF.

Edit: This trade blog reports that the deal is Josh Bell and RHP Steve Johnson.
    Last edited by Domenic; 07-30-2009, 12:55 PM.

This doesn't bode well for the middle of the Phillies lineup when the late innings roll around in a tight playoff game.

Comment

I really like the acquisition of George Sherrill for the Dodgers, to be sure - I'm just struggling with the cost, here.

Baseball America is very high on Josh Bell, going so far as to say that he may be able to stick at 3B (which could make him incredibly valuable). He has great power and improving plate discipline, and Casey Blake and Blake DeWitt aren't long-term solutions. Steven Johnson doesn't seem to have that high a ceiling, and his mechanics seem to indicate an injury waiting to happen.

Comment

Finally some pitching help.
        No one can make you
        Do what they want to
        You know you're stronger
        Than the lies
        That they tell you

Comment

I heard good things about Josh Bell. I hope the Dodgers can keep George around for a few years.

Comment

Blake DeWitt?
            No one can make you
            Do what they want to
            You know you're stronger
            Than the lies
            That they tell you

Comment

George Sherrill

I wish George Sherrill, a former Mariner, well with his new team, the Dodgers. He should be a good set-up man for Torre and Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby_Ayala View Post
                I wish George Sherrill, a former Mariner, well with his new team, the Dodgers. He should be a good set-up man for Torre and Co.
                You are annoying.
                Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Sherrill

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                  You are annoying.
                  The Mariners picked this guy out of oblivion and now he's a well sought after lefty reliever. Good for him. The Adam Jones deal just keeps on getting worse.

Comment

Sherrill is a very good relief pitcher and should really help a team that has a real shot at winning the World Series.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Wow, I was surprised to see him traded again. Good guy with good stuff. And Bobby is right, this guy came out of IL ball and recognized the M's for finding him out of nowhere. He was just a regular joe schmoe until an M's scout found him.
                      Last edited by Trickyhop; 07-31-2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby_Ayala View Post
                        The Mariners picked this guy out of oblivion and now he's a well sought after lefty reliever. Good for him. The Adam Jones deal just keeps on getting worse.
                        Actually, Sherrill came not from oblivion, but from the Evansville Otters, and independent team in the Frontier League. I was able to see him throw quite a bit here in town, and I'm happy that he's wearing Dodger Blue. Quality human being.
                        "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Comment

Originally posted by bhss89 View Post
                          Actually, Sherrill came not from oblivion, but from the Evansville Otters, and independent team in the Frontier League. I was able to see him throw quite a bit here in town, and I'm happy that he's wearing Dodger Blue. Quality human being.
                          A Diamond in the Rough if there ever was one. Hopefully Torre won't overuse him like the rest of the pen.

Comment

Sherrill will make his first for the Blue Monday 8/16. Billz start has been pushed to Tuesday. I think most likely Ausmus will catch him.
                            Emma
                            http://crzblue.mlblogs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by crzblue View Post
                              Sherrill will make his first for the Blue Monday 8/16. Billz start has been pushed to Tuesday. I think most likely Ausmus will catch him.
                              Emma
                              http://crzblue.mlblogs.com/

Charlie Haeger not Sherrill right?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X