Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodgers Acquire LHP George Sherrill

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I get to see a knuckleballer for the first time today (Haeger).

    Sherill should be the closer, it's obvious Broxton can't get the job done.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
      I get to see a knuckleballer for the first time today (Haeger).

      Sherill should be the closer, it's obvious Broxton can't get the job done.
      I wouldn't go quite that far on Broxton. He's probably hurt with that toe and we can assume those 300+ lbs. aren't helping the issue. Before that he was outstanding.

      However, I think the Dodgers would be smart to use them in a platoon closer role. Sherrill has been outstanding in his career vs. LHB and even more extreme this season. Broxton's career numbers vs. RHB are excellent.

      Rather than full-on demoting Broxton or promoting Sherrill they should simply play the matchups. If that means Broxton in the 8th vs. 3 righties and then Sherrill in the 9th vs. a couple of lefties then so be it. Let the opponent handedness determine which inning you use which guy. It would really help them to emphasize the strength of both pitchers and use them most effectively.

      Comment


      • #18
        Still like Broxton?

        The fat tub of lard did it again.
        No one can make you
        Do what they want to
        You know you're stronger
        Than the lies
        That they tell you

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by flash143817 View Post
          I wouldn't go quite that far on Broxton. He's probably hurt with that toe and we can assume those 300+ lbs. aren't helping the issue. Before that he was outstanding.

          However, I think the Dodgers would be smart to use them in a platoon closer role. Sherrill has been outstanding in his career vs. LHB and even more extreme this season. Broxton's career numbers vs. RHB are excellent.

          Rather than full-on demoting Broxton or promoting Sherrill they should simply play the matchups. If that means Broxton in the 8th vs. 3 righties and then Sherrill in the 9th vs. a couple of lefties then so be it. Let the opponent handedness determine which inning you use which guy. It would really help them to emphasize the strength of both pitchers and use them most effectively.
          My vote is also for a platoon closer situation - CD, what do you think?
          Broxton vs righties exclusively on nights after an inning or more, McDonald vs righties with whom he matches up well, and Sherrill vs lefties.
          I just don't feel now is the time for Torre to do nothing at all about the struggles in finishing games. Maybe a "demotion", rest, hiatus, whatever you want to call it, for Broxton will do him some good.
          And yes, 300 lbs. + bad toe = ouchy.
          "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

          "My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

          Comment


          • #20
            I say throw Broxton on the DL. Or at least give him a series off.

            I've been saying this all year. His horrible mechanics will catch up to him. This is the same guy that gave up the bomb to Matt Stairs. He can't just blow everyone away anymore. Of course, if Torre gave him a break, we wouldn't be in this situation. Why call upon a guy who is struggling to maintain ties? He can't get the job done.

            Sherrill should be the closer. He is consistent, and thanks to Joe "I Can't Manage My Pitchers" Torre, well-rested.
            No one can make you
            Do what they want to
            You know you're stronger
            Than the lies
            That they tell you

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
              I say throw Broxton on the DL. Or at least give him a series off.

              I've been saying this all year. His horrible mechanics will catch up to him. This is the same guy that gave up the bomb to Matt Stairs. He can't just blow everyone away anymore. Of course, if Torre gave him a break, we wouldn't be in this situation. Why call upon a guy who is struggling to maintain ties? He can't get the job done.

              Sherrill should be the closer. He is consistent, and thanks to Joe "I Can't Manage My Pitchers" Torre, well-rested.
              He can blow hitters away when he's healthy. His average fastball earlier in the year was almost 98 MPH. I think last I had checked on Fangraphs it was 97.8 MPH. Since his injury he's been throwing 93-95 MPH from what I can tell. Also, his control has been awful. He doesn't seem to have command of his fastball and he's getting into too many hitter's counts.

              Actually I just checked Fangraphs again and he's still at 97.7 MPH for the season so he hasn't really lost much on his fastball. Looks like we can blame his struggles on location more than velocity. It was frustrating to see him lose Pujols after getting to 2 strikes.

              The Torre thing reared its ugly head with Belisario. He misses over a month on the DL and then Torre uses him 4 times in the first 6 days he's back. I'm sure he'll be nice and worn out come playoff time if Torre gets his way.

              Comment


              • #22
                From what I have seen of Sherrill in the past week I see 'closer' written all over him. I believe he and Broxton should rotate the role, with consideration as mentioned above to whether the batters are RH or LH.
                "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

                No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X