Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jersey that may possibly be from a "Hollywood stars" game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jersey that may possibly be from a "Hollywood stars" game.

On another forum that deals with team gear someone said that in a store in Virginia they found both home and road Dodgers uniforms for a player named Bishop that looked almost new. The person also said the jersey had number 24 (which was the number former manager Walter Alston wore).
    The person on the forum mentioned that they could not find any player named Bishop ever being on the roster. Ever since the Dodgers came to L. A. in 1958 hollywood celebrities have attended Dodger home games. Also beginning that year and continuing to this year the Dodgers have had a "Hollywood Stars" game. The jerseys may have been from a "Hollywood stars" game and there were two jerseys because when they were made it was not known if the player would be on the home or visitor team. The number 24 may have been used because the person wearing it was the "manager" of the celebrity team. The jerseys may have been for comedian Joey Bishop (a member of the hollywood "rat pack" along with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr.). Someone should ask Vin Scully if these were Joey's jerseys.

Hi,
    I think that is a question for the Dodger historian. His name Mark Langill. I coulf posted in the Insidethedogers blog if you like.
    Emma
    http://crzblue.mlblogs.com/

Comment

longtimelasportsfan,
      I posted your question in the ITD blog and I was amazed of the information poster Dodgereric found doing some research. Here is his reponse:

Emma, I’m sorry but I can’t wait for Mark. I just LOVE this stuff. :-) ....... and ...... it’s more interesting than preparing my NASCAR fantasy newsletter.

Searching good ol’ Baseball-reference.com, I found 8 Bishops who played in the big leagues, none with the Dodgers. However, there are the minor leagues. There are no fewer than 69 Bishops to investigate, and 5 played with a team connected with the Dodgers.

J. Richard Bishop played in Florida with the Pensacola (B - league) Pilots of the Southeastern League, a Brooklyn affiliate, in 1938. They probably didn’t wear “Dodgers” across their chests though.

More intriguing is Richard A. Bishop. He played for the Zanesville (D) Dodgers in the Ohio State League in 1944. It looks like he went to war, because he resurfaced in Virginia (and that’s where the uniforms were found, right?) for 54 games with the Newport News (B) Dodgers in the Piedmont League and 53 more with the Asheville (B) Tourists in the Tri-State League, both in ’47. He spent ’48 with the Johnstown (C) Johnnies of the Mid Atlantic League. All of these clubs were affiliated with the Brooklyn Dodgers, but those Newport News Dodger players could well have worn “Dodgers” across their chests.

The trouble with this story is that I can’t find anything about when they started putting player names on the backs of minor league uniforms. The Chicago White Sox were the first MLB team to put names on their jerseys in 1960, but the minors were usually the first to do most innovations. For instance, the barnstorming 1906 Cuban Stars seem to be credited with wearing the first numbers, but it wasn’t until 10 years later that the Cleveland Indians did it in the majors.

OK, back to Bishops. Robert Curtis Bishop played 26 games with the Union City (D) Dodgers of the Kentucky-Illinois-Tennesse League, another Brooklyn affiliate, in 1953.

In more likely times for a last name on the back, David W. Bishop played for the Spokane (A – short season) Dodgers in the Northwest League in 1972. I guess the Dodgers moved that club to Bellingham, because he moved to the Bellingham (A – short season) Dodgers in the Northwest League in ’73 and a cup of coffee with the Daytona Beach (A) Dodgers in the Florida League in the same year. That’s not far from Virginia.

Craig A. Bishop also played near Virginia, for the Dodgers’ Rookie team (A – short season) in the Gulf Coast League (Florida) in 1989. He also played for the Yakima Bears (Dodgers’ A) in the Northwest League as well as the Bakersfield Dodgers (A – advanced) team in the California League, both teams in 1990. He played a couple more seasons of independent ball.

Sorry, that’s all I can find. Back to NASCAR.
      Dodgereric
      Emma
      http://crzblue.mlblogs.com/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X