Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Dodgers pitcher Bill Harris and VP Dick Walsh pass away

Bill Harris:

Harris, a man I called a close friend for more than 60 years, died at his home in Kennewick, Wash., Saturday morning. He was 80 years-old and the memory of his achievements and the way he handled success with grace and gratitude live on.

I was in Caraquet attending the induction ceremonies for the New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame, of which Harris was a proud, honoured member, Saturday night when I received a stirring phone call from Billy's friend, Brian Worthington of Kennewick, Wash.
    Read more:

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1410730

Dick Walsh:

Dick Walsh, former Los Angeles Dodgers Vice President, Commissioner of the North American Soccer League, General Manager of the California Angels and General Manager of numerous convention centers passed away on May 6 in Fullerton, Calif.

Walsh, born in South Bend, Ind., in 1925, and raised in Evanston, Ill. He came to Los Angeles in 1937. He was an All-City third baseman at Los Angeles High School. He enlisted in the Army in 1943, was commissioned at Fort Benning the following year, spent 32 months in the South Pacific, and was discharged from the service as a first lieutenant in 1948.
    Read more:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Your friend,Billy Harris may have pitched in only two major league games but they were interesting ones. Both games were late September pennant race games. In the 1957 game he pitched in one of the final games in the history of the Brooklyn Dodgers. He lost to N.L.Rookie of the Year, Jack Sanford 3-2. Harris went seven innings and was relieved by Sandy Koufax (not many people can say that). Sanford had a shutout for 8 2/3 innings and seemed like he was coasting to a 3-0 win when he gave up a 2-run homer. That made it interesting but Sanford was still able to complete the game, get his 19th victory of the year, as he and the Philadelphia Phillies won 3-2.
    In his second and final MLB career game, Harris pitched for the Dodgers (now in Los Angeles) on the next to last day of the 1959 season. The Dodgers held a one game lead over the Milwaukee Braves entering that day's competition. The Dodger starter got bombed and Harris ended up relieving and pitching a scoreless 7th and 8th innings. The game had been virtually lost in the early innings, however and their 12-2 loss to the Chicago Cubs dropped the Dodgers into a first place tie with the Braves. In using Harris instead of one of his regular relievers, manager
    Walter Alston may have kept some of bullpen arms fresh for the season finale and a best of three games playoff which resulted when the Dodgers and Braves remained tied on the final day of the season. The Dodgers won the playoff 2 games to none and then took the World Series over the Chicago White sox 4 games to 2.
    Harris' major league career was brief, but he played in some exciting times, and having the durability to win 170 minor league games was no small accomplishment.
    His final MLB mark was 2 games, 9 IP, 0-1, 3.00 ERA.

Comment

Harris wasn't my friend, I was just quoting what the guy said in his article. Interesting post, however.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X