2013 Dodgers Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Dodgers Season Thread

2013 season, here we come! If it's okay with everyone, can we move all general team posts to this new thread?
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Go dodgers!!!

Always been my second favorite team, and this year is VERY exciting! I can't wait to see how this team performs. Time to take back the West, and take back another Championship! It's been too long since Bull Dog and Gibby in '88! PLAY BALL!!!
    Last edited by Herr28; 03-02-2013, 07:52 AM. Reason: The title was in all caps when I typed it, but posted lowercase?
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Just read on mlb.com about Zack Greinke getting the same platelet-rich plasma injection that Chad Billingsley got earlier. No real information yet on his elbow, just that it is an "inflammation" and they think he may be able to start a progressive throwing program soon. I had no idea that Billingsley was so close to TJ surgery, and apparently these PRP injections repaired the slight tear to his ligament. Hopefully Greinke will recover soon and be available early on. Anyone else hearing anything about his chances of a quick recovery?

The article said that Carl Crawford is also hoping to be ready for Opening Day, but he is still a wait and see as well. Man, I hope these guys get healthy quick and get ready to take on those Giants!

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la

That was the link to the article, but I don't know why it doesn't appear like a link rather than a line of garbage. Sorry, not a computer guru, maybe someone can turn it into a hyperlink or whatever!

GO DODGERS!!!

EDIT: OK, never mind, it did pop up as a link to the article after I posted this! Never mind, I guess I am an IT expert after all! Yeah, right...

Comment

Why in God's name would the Dodgers make a guy the highest paid pitcher in baseball who's 91-78 with a 3.77 ERA? And I think he's even worse on the road ...

Comment

Originally posted by Buntforahit View Post
          Why in God's name would the Dodgers make a guy the highest paid pitcher in baseball who's 91-78 with a 3.77 ERA? And I think he's even worse on the road ...
          Well in the past 2 seasons since he left KC he has been 31-11, with better career averages across the board. He still won a Cy Young while in KC back in 2009, and has been very good in the last 5 years posting over 30 GS and 200 IP every year except 2011 when he started the season on the DL due to a broken rib while playing basketball. He still went 16-6, but you are right that most of his success that year came at home.

I am no expert, and certainly no GM, but I would certainly be competitive in contract talks to sign him to help build a winner in LA. I don't know about him being the highest paid, meaning I wouldn't necessarily pick him to make more cash than other right handers out there, but so be it. I am more concerned with his elbow inflammation than his salary or career record.

Comment

Since Greinke became a full time starter in 2008 he's

13th in total starts with 160
            14th in innings pitched with 1035
            8th in wins with 70
            23rd in ERA with 3.39
            19th in ERA- with 82 (ERA adjusted for league and park. He's been 18% better than average)
            5th in strike outs with 1007
            7th in K/BB with 3.86

6th in FIP
            4th in FIP-
            4th in xFIP
            8th in tERA
            3rd in SIERA

6th in Runs Above Replacement

He's certainly one of the top pitchers in the majors.

*http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=3,d

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
              Since Greinke became a full time starter in 2008 he's

13th in total starts with 160
              14th in innings pitched with 1035
              8th in wins with 70
              23rd in ERA with 3.39
              19th in ERA- with 82 (ERA adjusted for league and park. He's been 18% better than average)
              5th in strike outs with 1007
              7th in K/BB with 3.86

6th in FIP
              4th in FIP-
              4th in xFIP
              8th in tERA
              3rd in SIERA

6th in Runs Above Replacement

He's certainly one of the top pitchers in the majors.

*http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=3,d
              Thank you.

Comment

Yep! 23rd in ERA makes him a top starter ... and now he's breaking down on top of it.

Comment

Yep! 23rd in ERA makes him a top starter ... and now he's breaking down on top of it.
                  ERA is a poor measure of a pitcher's performance

A cartoon to enhance your understanding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuWoLBhnJ1g

Comment

Those are some hilarious cartoons! The guy does a good job!

Comment

Yeah, ERA means nothing ... even though the game is all about runs.

Comment

Yeah, ERA means nothing
                        No one stated that.

... even though the game is all about runs.
                        You couldn't comprehend the video I see.

The pitcher isn't the sole entity responsible for earned runs.
                        The defense is also responsible for earned runs.
                        The weather is also responsible for earned runs.
                        The umpire is also responsible for earned runs.
                        The size and shape of the stadium is also responsible for earned runs.
                        The official scorer is also responsible for earned runs.
                        The hitters are base runners are also responsible for earned runs.

ERA places the sole responsibility for runs on the pitcher.

Other metrics, like FIP, attempt to isolate the pitcher's contributions as much as possible.

Comment

No one stated that.

You couldn't comprehend the video I see.

The pitcher isn't the sole entity responsible for earned runs.
                          The defense is also responsible for earned runs.
                          The weather is also responsible for earned runs.
                          The umpire is also responsible for earned runs.
                          The size and shape of the stadium is also responsible for earned runs.
                          The official scorer is also responsible for earned runs.
                          The hitters are base runners are also responsible for earned runs.

ERA places the sole responsibility for runs on the pitcher.

Other metrics, like FIP, attempt to isolate the pitcher's contributions as much as possible.
                          I comprehended alright, but I found it to be nonsense. It's a tool used to make a painfully average pitcher appear better than he really is. Be jealous.

Comment

I comprehended alright, but I found it to be nonsense. It's a tool used to make a painfully average pitcher appear better than he really is. Be jealous.
                            No. That's not what the tool is. Not at all.

And that's a fairly ridiculous thing to suggest. After all, FIP also suggests that some pitchers' ERAs were higher than they should have been given their true talent levels.
                            Tim Lincecum 2012: 5.18 ERA 4.18 FIP

What FIP actually is is a tool that predicts next season's ERA to much higher degree than the current year ERA.
                            ERA itself has a Y2Y correlation of .38. True ERA (tERA) came in at .47, the highest of all the ERA estimators. Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP) had a correlation of .46, followed by SIERA .45 and xFIP .43.
                            *http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...e-year-to-year

As such, it stands to reason that FIP is more accurately measuring a pitcher's skill than ERA is. It's weeding out more of the noise.

This would be a good time to suggest Nate Silver's book - The Signal and the Noise - for a better understanding of statistics and projections.

Be jealous
                            What am I to be jealous of?

Comment

Bottom line is the Dodgers paid way too much for Greinke and his 3.77 ERA ... Be jealous.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X