No announcement yet.

Fire Sale Has Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Marlins are operating under a somewhat unique set of circumstances. Despite playing in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, having a special "bond" with the local Latino community and having won two World Championships in the past 9 seasons, the team is severely restricted from making the kinds of profits their situation would dictate in a free market because of the restrictive stadium lease. If this turns into a fire sale indeed, it will be the second such downturn attributable to H. Wayne [expletive deleted] Huizenga.

Far worse than freeing up payroll and building for the future is the possibility that the team could be relocated, as early as 2008, according to a report I read at ESPN.com today.

I am concerned. Is Loria's intention to build for a brighter future in Miami, cutting costs in the meantime? Or is it to free up capital for a move to Portland or Las Vegas? Only time will tell.

Comment

The big 3 since 2001 will all be gone by '06
      Brad Penny
      Josh Beckett
      A.J. Burnett
      Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

One Sided Trades

The trades being made by the Marlins at this point seem excessively extreme. This is the part of MLB which I can do wthout.
        In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

It looks like D-Train will be your highest paid player at 378,500 by the time this is over.
          The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
          Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Luis Castillo has been traded and this can officially be called a fire sale.
            2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

I hope the Florida investors join the Montreal ones and sue him once the Marlins are moved. I have no doubt that this is the end of major league baseball in Miami. Loria has now successfully destroyed two major league franchises so he can get a shiny new stadium and make more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Dasperp
                I hope the Florida investors join the Montreal ones and sue him once the Marlins are moved. I have no doubt that this is the end of major league baseball in Miami. Loria has now successfully destroyed two major league franchises so he can get a shiny new stadium and make more money.
                Agreed. I can't believe MLB tolerates this guy and his tactics. He is the epitome of everything that's wrong in the game, and perhaps our society as well. I feel badly for the fans in Montreal and South Florida, and any other city that inherits a team owned by Jeffrey Loria.

Comment

Why don't we just start a new game.

With LoDuca gone lets try and guess who will be the next one to go.

Will it be Miguel Cabrera????Dontrelle Willis?????Juan Pierre??????

Seriously though, its become obvious that the Marlins are ODing on the salary dumping. Ive heard of thinning the budget but this is simply ridiculous
                  Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

Miguel won't be moved he's got about 2-3 more years before his 6 are up...and then Willis has another 2 I believe before his six...therefore there is no reason for the Marlins to move them.

Plus, if Loria is going to move the franchise then he will need at least a star or two to market and get the stadium he's selling his soul for.

I still don't understand why MLB doesn't step in and stop him!
                    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Since the Yanks were told it would take both Chien-Ming Wang and Robinson Cano to get Juan Pierre, what would it take to get D-Train?
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                        Since the Yanks were told it would take both Chien-Ming Wang and Robinson Cano to get Juan Pierre, what would it take to get D-Train?

D-Train won't be traded as he is still getting paid the league minimum (not really fire sale eligible).
                        The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
                        Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ
                          D-Train won't be traded as he is still getting paid the league minimum (not really fire sale eligible).
                          Dontrelle Willis only makes $378k. That's gruesomely low.

I remember a few years ago, Albert Pujols was making very little. I personally don't think that Juan Pierre may be worth the two ex-rookies the Yanks used so often in 2005, but D-Train surely would be.
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Pierre's gone too.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/m...=.jsp&c_id=chc

You'll like Pinto and Nolasco, though. They're both good prospects.
                            EAMUS CATULI!
                            AC036198

Comment

So what exactly will the starting team be on Opening Day?

From Matt's infamous Yesterday's News:

Loria addresses the future of the Marlins
                              Owner says lack of stadium deal is direct cause of trades

DALLAS -- Build it and the payroll will again increase. Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria echoed that sentiment on Monday at the Winter Meetings.

Until the Marlins have the security of a new retractable-roof stadium in the Miami area, or elsewhere, the organization will no longer sustain significant financial losses. At an impasse with South Florida regarding a new building, the Marlins have received permission to seek relocation.

In the meantime, the club is seriously slashing payroll. On Monday, the Marlins officially traded catcher Paul Lo Duca, and the remaining $12.5 million on his contract, to the Mets for two Minor League pitching prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                                I found it funny that they wanted Wang and Cano from the Yanks, but then took Mitre and some Mid-Level prospects in return for Pierre.
                                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X