Marlins No.1 Problem = MLB Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins No.1 Problem = MLB Experience

The biggest problem in the Florida Marlins Organisation is their On-Field MLB experience to explain the matter , only 2 out of the 8 florida marlins starters have concrete MLB experience :

- C Miguel Olivo , 6 MLB years and 307 MLB Games Played
    - 1b Mike Jacobs , 30 MLB Games Played
    - 2b Dan Uggla , No MLB Experience
    - SS Hanley Ramirez , 2 MLB Games Played
    - 3b Miguel Cabrera , 3 MLB ears and 405 MLB Games Played
    - LF Josh Willingham , 16 MLB Games Played
    - CF Reggie Abercrombie , No MLB Experience
    - RF Jeremy Hermida , 23 MLB Games Played

But the Marlins' problems limit themselves there since they possess a youthy and talented squad wich they can rely on for the next 5-10 years but their youthy squad will stumble if the Marlins do not bring in Veterans to guide these yougsters through the MLB .
    Management
    5.00%
    MLB Experience
    35.00%
    Ownership
    45.00%
    Money and Folding Concern
    15.00%

The poll is expired.

Their biggest problem is Loria.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees rule
      Their biggest problem is Loria.
      I'm sure you could do better with no money and barely any fans in the stands
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I sure couldn't do much worse, now could I??? Ever wonder why there are no fans in the stands???

Amazin...Simply Amazin
        North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

So far, an 11-0 game at Houston for the Marlins, in the bottom of the 8th, with the Marlins ahead. I think it is a pretty big mistake in underestimating these guys...or it must be that Pettite had a bad day in pitching and it gives the Marlins a boost.

Comment

I didn't watch it on TV so I'm not sure how Pettitte's stuff was but I'm pretty sure their manager catching for Pettitte a few times helped . Even with the knowledge Girardi would have had, 10 runs is still impressive.
            Last edited by astromaker; 04-05-2006, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Underestimate

Originally posted by Solair Wright
              So far, an 11-0 game at Houston for the Marlins, in the bottom of the 8th, with the Marlins ahead. I think it is a pretty big mistake in underestimating these guys...or it must be that Pettite had a bad day in pitching and it gives the Marlins a boost.
              On any given day, any one team can and does beat another!!

Suggest you wait a few weeks before putting the rose glasses on....

Comment

Originally posted by brooklynboy
                I sure couldn't do much worse, now could I??? Ever wonder why there are no fans in the stands???

Amazin...Simply Amazin
                Even when they were winning the World Series in 2003 the stands were empty. They have ranked 14th or lower in the NL in attendance the last three years(15th, 14th, 15th respectively)- all of which they have been competitive year. The only teams that had less fans in all of baseball were Montreal, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh. Montreal moved to Washington and what happened? They shot up to 8th in the NL in attendance.

It's not the owner, it's the fans. No fans in the stand and you have trouble surviving. If it means having to trade away your high priced players and have to start rebuilding, so be it. The team must do that in order to survive where they are. It's a baseball tradition to do that.

The last rebuilding lead to a World Series Championship, the next one could lead to another. Time will tell.
                Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                  Even when they were winning the World Series in 2003 the stands were empty. They have ranked 14th or lower in the NL in attendance the last three years(15th, 14th, 15th respectively)- all of which they have been competitive year. The only teams that had less fans in all of baseball were Montreal, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh. Montreal moved to Washington and what happened? They shot up to 8th in the NL in attendance.

It's not the owner, it's the fans. No fans in the stand and you have trouble surviving. If it means having to trade away your high priced players and have to start rebuilding, so be it. The team must do that in order to survive where they are. It's a baseball tradition to do that.

The last rebuilding lead to a World Series Championship, the next one could lead to another. Time will tell.
                  efin, I tend to disagree with you on this one...Montreal's attendance was a case of selling players as fast as they could produce them...The fans got tired of it, attendance went down...Look at the attandence of Montreal's
                  contending years...Most teams that move usually have an increase in attandence..Goes with the new territory...Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh.. They haven't had a winning season is 10 or 12 years or so...The management has seen the light since they increased their payroll..Whether it translate to an increase in fans, we'll have to see..Tampa Bay is a perfect example of
                  messing over fans with a less than caring administration..Only thing keeping the D'Rays in Tampa is their iron clad lease...
                  As for the Marlins, well look at history..Why did Huizenga dismantle the team?? Did he let the fans bask in a season of a world championship?? Did he really care?? And what about Jeff the Barbarian?? Face it, he wants a new stadium with the high priced luxury boxes for his pocket..True, this has
                  turned into a political battle with the county, but what has he done to show the fans he cares?? yes you got lucky with the rebuilding program the first time through.. Only time will tell about this time...Keep this in mind, if it
                  works, I seriously doubt if it will be the fans of Miami that will see it...

Amazin...Simply Amazin !!!!

:atthepc

Comment

It's the city of Miami's fault. During the 2003 WS run, the Marlins home games got 67,000 a night so the market is out there but that stadium is too far out...

"If you build it [in or near downtown Miami], they will come."
                    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
                    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

efin, I tend to disagree with you on this one...Montreal's attendance was a case of selling players as fast as they could produce them...The fans got tired of it, attendance went down...Look at the attandence of Montreal's
                      contending years...Most teams that move usually have an increase in attandence..Goes with the new territory...
                      On the contrary- after 1983 they had a huge problem with attendance when they were routinely finishing 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Even with good teams they rarely finished higher than 9th in the NL in attendance. The highest was 8th in 1984 and 1985. Even when they had the best record in baseball in 1994 they still couldn't finish higher than 10th in attendance. The fans simply didn't show up to games. The team couldn't sustain themselves.

Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh.. They haven't had a winning season is 10 or 12 years or so...The management has seen the light since they increased their payroll..Whether it translate to an increase in fans, we'll have to see..
                      In their three year run as NL East champs they still finished 6th, 7th, and 8th in the league in attendance. Hardly impressive and hardly solid. Going back farther to the "We are Family" era they were worse- finishing no higher than 8th during the late 70s.

Even with decent teams, you can't force fans into the seats. The fans have to choose to come out themselves. In small markets that can be life or death, and in the case of Florida it's usually cause for having to trade away the team to survive.

Tampa Bay is a perfect example of
                      messing over fans with a less than caring administration..Only thing keeping the D'Rays in Tampa is their iron clad lease...
                      Can't argue that. They have been bad and the only reason was their horrid owner.

As for the Marlins, well look at history..Why did Huizenga dismantle the team?? Did he let the fans bask in a season of a world championship?? Did he really care?? And what about Jeff the Barbarian??
                      Wasn't he also in a load of trouble for shady dealings that eventually forced him to sell the team to John Henry(current Red Sox majority owner) who was the person responsible for keeping the team bad during his three year run as owner?

Face it, he wants a new stadium with the high priced luxury boxes for his pocket..
                      No. He wants a new stadium so they can finally stop having to sign bad leases just to survive another year. Huizenga has been hostile to the team being there, he wants them out and the team wants a place of their own. With or without luxury boxes it's obvious to anyone that they need a new home.

True, this has
                      turned into a political battle with the county, but what has he done to show the fans he cares??
                      The fact that he has yet to reach an agreement with another city trying to land an MLB team says alot. He got screwed over, yet he stays put. He thinks he can make things work down there, all he needs is help. If they refuse to help he will take the team to a place that will help him out and open up the game to a whole new area of fans striving for a team...

yes you got lucky with the rebuilding program the first time through.. Only time will tell about this time...Keep this in mind, if it
                      Possible. Or it's possible that the team will come back and string together back to back to back World Series titles with the young guns that were brought in in exchange for the aging, overpriced veterans.
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

Anything is possible....Incidentally, finishing 8th or 9th in attendance isn't that bad...Bottom line is that there are many reasons why teams don't draw...Anyway you look at it, I don't see the fish stayin in Miami....

Amazin...Simply Amazin!!!

Comment

Anything is possible....Incidentally, finishing 8th or 9th in attendance isn't that bad...Bottom line is that there are many reasons why teams don't draw...Anyway you look at it, I don't see the fish stayin in Miami....

Amazin...Simply Amazin!!!
                          I don't either. Once their ballpark proposal was killed the ball was set rolling. The fact that their landlord(and former owner) wants them out pretty much seals it.

They will likely be playing in another city in 2009.
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

Although the Fish may be terrible now in a few years they'll be a contender again, just like after they won the series in 97'. I also don't think the Marlins will be playing in Miami in the approaching future, although I'm not quite sure where they'll go.

Comment

contending years...Most teams that move usually have an increase in attandence..Goes with the new territory...Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh.. They haven't had a winning season is 10 or 12 years or so...The management has seen the light since they increased their payroll..Whether it translate to an increase in fans, we'll have to see..Tampa Bay is a perfect example of
                              As for the Marlins, well look at history..Why did Huizenga dismantle the team?? Did he let the fans bask in a season of a world championship?? Did he really care?? And what about Jeff the Barbarian?? Face it, he wants a new stadium with the high priced luxury boxes for his pocket..True, this has
                              turned into a political battle with the county, but what has he done to show the fans he cares?? yes you got lucky with the rebuilding program the first time through.. Only time will tell about this time...Keep this in mind, if it

Amazin...Simply Amazin !!!!

:atthepc
                              The main cause of Montreal's loss of MLB interest was the lockout or ''shortened'' season .

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X