Rebuilding the fan base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding the fan base

I am very excited about the new stadium. It will give ownership the ability to rebuild the fan base. They can keep some of the better players now. I often wonder where the team would be if they still had Miguel Cabrera. I won't have to check the roster at the beginning of the year to relearn the roster. Actually, the Marlins do very well on television and radio. Maybe the new stadium will translate into better attendance. Also, more fans from the surrounding counties like Martin and St. Lucie and elsewhere will be able to travel knowing the game will start on time without the threat of rain.

You guys have a very impressive team that is having a better-than-predicted season. I couldn't understand, as I watched the recent Mets-Marlins series, why there were so few people in the stands. Is it just the summer climate? I hope your stadium improves the situation, because your young, tough, and exciting team deserves better.
    sigpic Please check out my book, Mets Fan
    Please check out my blog, Mets Fan Blog
    Read about my new book The Last Days of Shea

Comment

Hopefully they will hold on to their young players. One reason why the Marlins have had a hard time building a consistent fan base is because every time they build a winning club, they have a fire sale the next season. If they can hold on to guys like Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla for the long term, the fan base will emerge. The team needs to show some loyalty to the fans before they can honestly expect it in return.

Comment

I hope the Marlins get their troubles sorted out soon. As things stand they might make more money as a "Gray Team" than they do right now in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
          Hopefully they will hold on to their young players. One reason why the Marlins have had a hard time building a consistent fan base is because every time they build a winning club, they have a fire sale the next season. If they can hold on to guys like Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla for the long term, the fan base will emerge. The team needs to show some loyalty to the fans before they can honestly expect it in return.
          That was certainly true after the 1997 season. Not so much after the 2003 season. In 2004 the Marlins kept their players and went for it again. They were in first place until June 22nd and in the Wild Card race for most of the season. In 2005 they were 78-67 on September 13th and led the wild card race. But they played poorly down the stretch.

The Marlins have actually been competitive since 2003. The have five winning seasons in seven seasons. If the Marlins when the final four games of this season they will have 88 wins. Given their payroll limitations that is quite impressive.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
            That was certainly true after the 1997 season. Not so much after the 2003 season.
            I completely disagree. After 2003, they didn't re-sign I-Rod or Todd Hollandsworth and they traded Derek Lee away for almost nothing. A year later, they didn't re-sign Pavano. Castillo and Pierre were gone a few years later. Eventually even Willis and Cabrera were eventually traded away as well.

Now given they made some excellent trades such as picking up Ramirez from the Red Sox in the Mike Lowell deal, but that is still "rebuilding" via firesale. This is the first time in team history that they seem reluctant to let their stars get away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
              I completely disagree. After 2003, they didn't re-sign I-Rod or Todd Hollandsworth and they traded Derek Lee away for almost nothing. A year later, they didn't re-sign Pavano. Castillo and Pierre were gone a few years later. Eventually even Willis and Cabrera were eventually traded away as well.
              The important thing to remember is the reasons for these trades. After the 1997 season the Marlins decided to dismantle the team completely. They did not do this after the 2003 season. They kept Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera. These two players were considered the two most important players because they were good, young, and cheap. They didn't resign I-Rod and traded Derek Lee for completely different reasons than the mass firesale after the 1997 season. The Marlins got Hee Seup Choi for Derek Lee. At that point Choi was a highly rated prospect (Cubs #1 prospect I believe). I'm sure the Marlins had envisioned that Choi would have a great power hitting first baseman. They Marlins did go for it in 2003 and 2004 and were in the race for good part of both seasons. On June 30, 2004 the Marlins traded Choi, Bill Murphy and Brad Penny to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Juan Encarnacion, Paul Lo Duca and Guillermo Mota. That move was made to strengthen the team for a playoff run. How can a team have a "firesale" and yet compete for a playoff spot for two years? Contrast that to 1998 when the Marlins lost 108 games. The two situations are not comparable at all.

Now given they made some excellent trades such as picking up Ramirez from the Red Sox in the Mike Lowell deal, but that is still "rebuilding" via firesale. This is the first time in team history that they seem reluctant to let their stars get away from them.
              This "time" goes back to 2003. Since the 2003 season the Marlins have five winning seasons in seven seasons.

2003: 91-71
              2004: 83-79
              2005: 83-79
              2006: 78-83
              2007: 71-91
              2008: 84-78
              2009: 87-75

Contrast this to the Marlins record after the "firesale" of 1997:

1997: 92-70
              1998: 54-108
              1999: 64-98
              2000: 79-82
              2001: 76-86
              2002: 79-83

From 2003-2009 the Marlins are 21 games over .500. From 1997-2002 they are 87 games under .500. In the 2003-2009 time frame they did have to trade quality players because they knew they couldn't afford to keep them. But the leveraged these trades to bring in quality payers in return with the intent to compete IMO. After 1997 the Marlins for forced to trade all those veterans regardless if they got any quality players in return. I'm interested to see if the new ballpark will allow the Marlins to spend quite a bit more on payroll.
              Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-05-2009, 12:18 PM.
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

The Marlins Fan Base is here...Just DORMANT for the time being..Once the new Orange Bowl Site Stadium debuts in 2012 and we NO LONGER have to drive to that outdated football stadium in Timbaktu the Fan Base will AWAKEN for good !!!
                Chairman of the Bored ©

Comment

Miami Heat's Chris Bosh !!!!!! Some FAN Base !!!!!!!!!
                  Chairman of the Bored ©

Comment

Wow.....Who said they are a LO$ING Team ?????????

Statements show Marlins made $49M in 2008-09

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...arlinsfinances
                    Chairman of the Bored ©

Comment

Now Cody is gone.

Comment

And in certain way...the politicians in Miami ALL very mad at the knowledge of such huge earnings at home base and all these years crying the blues for a FREE Stadium....
                        Chairman of the Bored ©

Comment

I'm pretty sure with the new stadium and all they will be able to build a bigger fan base then before. Miami is a place where everyone wants to go to in Florida so I won't find it surprising if the fan base gets bigger over the next few years with a baseball stadium in Miami.
                          FL Marlins are always ready to bring the heat!
                          "You got to bring the heat to cook the meat. If not, what will the fat lady eat after she's done singing?"
                          :radio

Comment

I think the owner MUST spend to get the fan base back and it still will take a few years. Then maybe the Marlins can attract some Yankees, Red Sox, Mets and Cubs fans and hopefully pay attention to the Marlins and make younger fans. The perception is the owner is cheap regardless of the past. If the owner hoardes the money, then forget about even a half full stadium.

Comment

Exactly, if the owner wants to see allot more fans in the stands. He'll need to spend some money to attract fans to the stadium.
                              FL Marlins are always ready to bring the heat!
                              "You got to bring the heat to cook the meat. If not, what will the fat lady eat after she's done singing?"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X