Javier Vasquez: An enigma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javier Vasquez: An enigma

Javier Vasquez could become the first pitcher to strikeout 3,000 batters who fails to win 200 games and he could even finish his career with a Won-Loss record that's
    below .500.

Current career totals: 2404 strikeouts, with a 155-153 won-loss record.
    Turns 35 on July 25.

He Seems to give up some untimely hits that lead to losses despite the fact that he strikes out lots of batters and is quite dominating at times. Somehing doesn't quite add up correctly.

In the baseball-reference Most similar players section, Vazquez's most similar match is Kevin Millwood, who I don't see as being that similar at all. Millwood finished at 22 games above .500 (159-137) compared to Vazquez's current 2 over .500 mark. Millwood finished with 1940 strikeouts, while Vazquez is nearly 500 Ks past that and counting at 2404.
    The conclusion I've reached is that Vazquez is a pretty unique pitcher, statistically he's one of a kind.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 05-28-2011, 12:21 PM.

Pitching for the Expos for the first six years of his career certainly didn't help his record at all, haha.

Comment

His season in Atlanta was incredible. It was a pleasure having him pitch for the Braves. I don't know why he did so well there and couldn't work with the Yankees or why he's doing so poorly now. Maybe he's injured beyond repair?
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Vazquez is just not a good AL pitcher (save for 2007). In the NL, he has an ERA of 4.08 and an ERA+ of 108. In the AL, his ERA is 4.65 and his ERA+ drops to 98.

He started off this year very poorly, however he has posted a 1.38 ERA in his last two starts, so it looks like he may be turning his year around.

Comment

he sucks period.....

Comment

Yeah, after I make that post he goes and makes two terrible starts.

Comment

He's 3-2 with a 1.69 ERA since June 16.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X