No announcement yet.

New logo speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope they do something completely radical with the uniforms--something loud, unusual, innovative and something that screams MIAMI.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Comment

Absolutely hideous. If it's for real, I don't think it will last very long. Reminds me of the old Colorado Rockies hockey jersey...

"Chef Bill"
      Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Say it ain't so!

Comment

Here's the new logo in one of the new ballpark's seats:

Comment

Originally posted by richiek View Post
            Here's the new logo in one of the new ballpark's seats:

You know, if the Marlins wore that white bevelled letter M on a blue cap, that wouldn't be bad. But it would look boring and generic:

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Actually, I think the seat logo looks pretty good. It has a clean, art deco feel that you see a lot down here, and will fit in well with the Miami style. I have a sneaky suspicion that the tutti-fruitti color scheme that's been floating around isn't for real, or that it was under consideration and intentionally leaked by people in the organization who want to kill it. It reminds me of the logo that was used during one of the many times that Sun Life Stadium was between name changes...

I'm a baseball traditionalist. I really like the Marlins' pinstripe uniforms and think the black and sliver "Marlins" script is very striking. But, I've never been a big fan of the "fish" logo. In my opinion it's too vertical, and very complicated. I've always felt that a stylized letter "F", or just the Marlin itself, would look better on the cap. The seat logo seems to be more horizontal and streamlined. It could look pretty classy in teal, silver, black and white. We'll find out soon. As they say, "Stay tuned, film at eleven..."

Last edited by Chef Bill; 10-08-2011, 05:09 PM.
              "Chef Bill"
              Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Chef Bill View Post
                I've always felt that a stylized letter "F", or just the Marlin itself, would look better on the cap.
                How about something like this - unofficial - design?

Comment

Blue387 - That's what I had always figured it would be.

Unfortunately, I just noticed that the logo being used on the Marlins website to promote the new ballpark has the same color scheme as the new cap/uniform logo that's been floating around. OMG! Say it ain't so, Joe!

see Florida Marlins.com: New Marlins Ballpark
                  http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/fla/b...park_index.jsp
                  Last edited by Chef Bill; 10-25-2011, 07:47 AM.
                  "Chef Bill"
                  Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Marlins cap in New Era store:
                    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...w-marlins-cap/

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                      Well, I can think of at least one fan who's not going to be buying one...
                      "Chef Bill"
                      Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Wow. Black, silver, orange, blue, white and yellow. That's about 3 colors too many for any uniform.
                        I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                        - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                          Wow. Black, silver, orange, blue, white and yellow. That's about 3 colors too many for any uniform.
                          I remember this summer when the (Hockey) Islanders released their 3rd jersey with 4 dominant colors. I thought "Oh my God, words do not describe how horrendous that is. At least this should be the last time I'll see a new 4-color dominated jersey."

:chainsaw:

Comment

Originally posted by RMD View Post
                            I remember this summer when the (Hockey) Islanders released their 3rd jersey with 4 dominant colors. I thought "Oh my God, words do not describe how horrendous that is. At least this should be the last time I'll see a new 4-color dominated jersey."

:chainsaw:
                            I think this is the one RMD is talking about. You're right - absolutely awful.

Despite two World Championships in their first eleven years, the Marlins have always struggled for credibility as an organization. I think with the new stadium and "look", Miami management is trying to create a unique, distinct identity for the team - in the way that Charlie Finley did for the A's in the '60s and '70s with the gold, green and white combos. They were practically revolutionary at the time, and Finley was always regarded as someone who thumbed his nose at the baseball establishment.

Over the years, we've seen some horrendous designs and color schemes from teams such as the Pirates, White Sox, Astros, Phillies and Indians, to name just a few.

I think a major part of the issue today is that uniforms are designed to be sold as fashion items to the youth market, but there's an entirely different market (older, more conservative) that actively supports the team, watches regularly on TV, and most importantly - buys tickets to games.

One could argue this forever, but I think that over time, the teams that have been considered consistently among the best on the field or most financially successful (such as the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, Cubs, Braves) have tended to shy away from fashion trends and stuck with traditional designs - because changes to their uniforms were not needed as a marketing gimmick to keep up interest among fans.

As a fan, I was encouraged by the recent trend of many teams back to the old school look. Now this. Even though we haven't even seen the new Marlins uniform yet, I'm afraid we might be looking at the all-time worst of the worst...

"Chef Bill"
                            Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Sorry, here's the Islanders' released new 3rd jersey from the summer, with the 4 color treacherous scheme. I don't believe they've worn them yet. The Marlins' uniforms look like a circa 1996 fad with a plethora of colors. This side of 1996, that's been going away. Yet Loria's going through with his gamble by inscripting the logo on stadium seats, throughout the stadium, etc. ... Oh boy.

Your premise of the correlation between traditional uniforms and organizations most successful for their identity & brand is correct, and in many sports too IMO. Patience in keeping the same brand and identity usually means success in marketing & visibility. Teams who deviate from it usually discover they've made incorrect judgment, and some revert back to what they had before - some continue the cycle. One approach is a predictor of long term success, the other might reap immediate benefits but falters over time.

Look at College Football's most nationally renowned brands: Alabama, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC. The design of the uniforms are all akin or similar to what they've been throughout history. Only few have built up through constant change, like Oregon, but they're the best marketers in the country and have a sort of kinship over there with Nike due to the contract (Oregon's sports marketing program is even ranked #1 nationwide).

Hockey's most popular teams: Canadiens, Bruins, Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Red Wings, Maple Leafs, Black Hawks. All except Pittsburgh have kept the same uniform design/colors. Almost a mirror example of College Football's top brands. (Oilers, Sabres, Canucks examples of teams who had a famous-in-the-hockey-world brand/design, uplifted it comletely, and all returned to the original design in the past 5 years after realizing the mistake made).

Baseball - not much for me to add, you covered it spot on.
                              Last edited by RMD; 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks RMD! I think we're both very definitely "Old School."

Although I've lived in Florida for the past 15 years and generally follow the Marlins, I grew up in New York and followed all of the local teams. As they say, you can take the boy out of the city, but you can't take city out of the boy. There's a certain comfort and nostalgia in the old looks. The Yankees home uniform hasn't changed since the 1930s, and the road greys have been the same since the early 70s. The Giants and Jets finally got the message from the fans, and mostly wear the same '60s and '70s era uniforms I identify with my youth (Jets' green pants not withstanding). The Rangers and Knicks have had their share of uni trip-ups along the way, but now look pretty much the same as they did in the days of Giacomin, Park and Ratelle; Willis, Clyde, and The Pearl. As for the Mets, I used to bleed blue and orange, and as a kid half of my room was a shrine to Tom Seaver (the other half was devoted to Joe Namath). But over the past couple of years I've almost completely lost interest in the team - not only because they've performed so badly, but as I've mentioned in a few other posts, they don't even look like the Mets any more.

And you're absolutely right - that new Islander jersey is a Category 5 disaster.
                                "Chef Bill"
                                Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X