American League ---> National League?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American League ---> National League?

What did Brewers fans think about getting switched from the American League to the National League? Did you find it dispresectful?

When the Seahawks were switched from the AFC to the NFC in 2002 to make way for league realignment I didn't like it and was maybe even a little offended. However at least there's no difference between the AFC and NFC (ala DH or no DH in baseball).

While I was only 10 when it happened, I can't really provide my opinion. All I can say is I like what the current situation is, except there can't be another Suds World Series at this rate (As the Brewers, Cardinals, andRockies are all in the same league).
    AL East Champions: 1981 1982
    AL Pennant: 1982
    NL Central Champions: 2011
    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

I remember the change. It was nice because it put the Brewers back into the spotlight for a while. At the time, the Brewers were constantly struggling and we needed something to generate buzz.

I've always thought that the N.L. is a more pure style of baseball anyway. I wouldn't have it any other way now. I think the DH was a commercialization of the game, and it takes alot of the strategy out of the manager's hands.

Comment

Honestly, I cannot say I am really phased. I was in favour of staying in the AL and up until a little while ago I still was but I really like the rivalry the team has got going with the Cubs.

All I really care is that the team is playing in the Major Leagues, whether it's the AL or the NL isn't an issue anymore.
        RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

I think the move to the NL was a good thing for the Brewers. As stated above, the rivalry with the Cubs is gain momentum. Also, the NL is a better league for younger players to develop.
          ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
          ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Everyone: It took me a long time to think of the Brewers as a NL team...I now feel that they are now fully an NL team after the players had gradually changed over time-maybe about 2005...

I understand why the Brewers were chosen back in the 90s to switch leagues to balance them remembering the Milwaukee Braves from 1951-1965...it is still hard to believe that the Braves played in Milwaukee for that short a period before moving to Atlanta for the 1966 season...Milwaukee had a NL history that Kansas City did not have...

I still do think that the Brewers best teams and players were from the AL days...like Robin Yount and Paul Molitor and "Harvey's Wallbangers" that AL champion from 1982...

I found the use of the AL throwback uniforms interesting because with the current team and uniforms they finally have a distinct NL identity...

The question I have is : At what point was the Brewers finally considered by the fans to be a legitimate NL team instead of an AL team?

What AL teams did the Brewers have their biggest rivalries with? Was it the Minnesota Twins or the Chicago White Sox geographically?
            Which AL teams drew best in Milwaukee? I do understand the new rivalry with the Chicago Cubs on a geographical basis...How do the Cardinals and Reds rate also?

Long Island Mike
            Last edited by Long Island Mike; 10-06-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I like(d) the switch to the National League. I don't like the DH rule (though I do like the differences between the league, it adds character to the sport).

I've always thought of Miller Park as the start of the "National League" Brewers. New stadium, fresh start.

I have family members who are die-hard Cubs fans, so for me, the Brewers-Cubs rivalry started right away when the Brewers moved. The Cardinals-Brewers rivalry is growing more and more intense every year.

Comment

I like the American League, so I hated it when the Brewers switched leagues.

But not nearly as much as when they changed their uniforms in 94, the year after I moved away. They replaced a classic, awesome logo with an ugly Notre Dame-ish rip-off.

The logo they use now is pretty cool, but I like the mb glove better.

Comment

I loved it. Having seen American League teams for over 25 seasons, I was eager to see National League teams in Milwaukee, especially the Cardinals. Two other things that came of it was seeing Tony Gwynn and Greg Maddox. Against Gwynn and the Padres, I sat on the third base side, in line with the first base line. Gwynn showed a nice, coiling swing. Maddox was in his second stint with the Cubs when I saw him, and my seats were behind the plate, where I could see lots of ball movement, with his pitches coming in on one side of the plate and ending up on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Island Mike View Post

The question I have is : At what point was the Brewers finally considered by the fans to be a legitimate NL team instead of an AL team?

What AL teams did the Brewers have their biggest rivalries with? Was it the Minnesota Twins or the Chicago White Sox geographically?
                    Which AL teams drew best in Milwaukee? I do understand the new rivalry with the Chicago Cubs on a geographical basis...How do the Cardinals and Reds rate also?

Long Island Mike
                    I'm not sure how to answer your first question, as I was painfully aware that Milwaukee used to have National League teams visiting, and I was glad that the Brewers made the switch, however, I'm not sure how many were still thinking the Brewers as an AL team.

As for the biggest rivalries, I would say Minnesota and the White Sox were so in the early days, before the Brewers started contending in 1978. It was around then that AL East powers Boston, New York, and Baltimore started building up more intense feelings in Brewtown. As long as the Brewers were contending, the bigger rivals seemed to be the other division contenders. When they realigned the divisions, in the 90s, the White Sox and Minnesota were probably the biggest rivals again.

As far as the teams that drew, I would say that it depended on the circumstances. I think that attendance did well if the Brewers were returning from a successful road trip, or a good team was coming to town. I think it was 1973 when the Brewers were returning home with a 10-game winning streak, and many fans were waiting at the airport for their arrival (my memory might be off on this), and many fans were eager to buy tickets.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X