Edmund Fitzgerald, former Brewers co-founder and co-owner, passes away

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmund Fitzgerald, former Brewers co-founder and co-owner, passes away

Fitzgerald, Edmund Bacon Of Nashville died on the 28th of August 2013, at the age of 87. ...

In 1970, he was a co-founder of the Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Club, and served as a General Partner of the Club until 1982.
    Read more:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/jso...ch#fbLoggedOut

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
    It seems like Mr. Fitzgerald would have been a natural as a conduit between MLB and Asia in terms of talent development, etc.

RIP.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Brewers owner Edmund Fitzgerald, the subject of this thread, is not to be confused with Ed Fitz Gerald, a major league catcher, primarily with the Pittsburgh Pirates and Washington Senators, from 1948 to 1959. Mr. Fitz Gerald is 89 years old and ranks among the 75 oldest living major leaguers, according to Wikipedia.

Comment

Fitzgerald's father, also named Edmund, was, I believe, the man the tragically famous ship was named for. The one Gordon Lightfoot wrote a hit song about.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
          Fitzgerald's father, also named Edmund, was, I believe, the man the tragically famous ship was named for. The one Gordon Lightfoot wrote a hit song about.
          It was the father? I need to go back and read that wikipedia article.

I wonder what happened in 1982, the Brewer's most successful year to date, for him to no longer hold interest in the team. I would hope he at least was around to enjoy the pennant.
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
            It was the father? I need to go back and read that wikipedia article.

I wonder what happened in 1982, the Brewer's most successful year to date, for him to no longer hold interest in the team. I would hope he at least was around to enjoy the pennant.
            Actually, I'm assuming it was his father. They were from Milwaukee, and the ship was commissioned in Milwaukee in 1958.
            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              Actually, I'm assuming it was his father. They were from Milwaukee, and the ship was commissioned in Milwaukee in 1958.
              It certainly makes sense it would be his father. How many people have ships like that named after them before they're 40? And I don't mean "Cindy's Dream" or whatever you can find at your local marina.
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Never was the phrase "wrong place at the wrong time" more appropriate than for the Fitzgerald on Nov. 10 1975. Literally, sailed into the eye of a hurricane--one of the lowest barometers ever recorded in the continental USA. A few hours either side and they would likely have made it. A number of the crew members, including the captain, were from my home town area.

Can't remember if that was one of Steinbrenner's ships at one time or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Bouldin View Post
                  Never was the phrase "wrong place at the wrong time" more appropriate than for the Fitzgerald on Nov. 10 1975. Literally, sailed into the eye of a hurricane--one of the lowest barometers ever recorded in the continental USA. A few hours either side and they would likely have made it. A number of the crew members, including the captain, were from my home town area.

Can't remember if that was one of Steinbrenner's ships at one time or not.
                  It would appear not to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X