This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006-2007 Mets Offseason Thread

Just post your thoughts about the 2006-2007 Mets in the offseason here. Figured somebody had to start one of these threads.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Okay, I'll start the replies...

Is it April yet?
    Put it in the books.

Comment

If it was, we'd have less than 25 guys on the active roster...

But seriously, I can't wait for the new season to start, either! I guess this thread is sort of a "catch-all" general purpose discussion thread about the Mets. Feel free to offer up opinions of the Mets players, coaches, management, execs, upcoming ticket and food prices, Spring Training...pretty much anything not given a thread already!
      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I'll bite...there's an older thread, but I think it fits OK here.

Who among us ever saw a game at Tidewater over the 38 years the AAA farm team was there? Not me, sorry to say. I was close once when I flew into Norfolk and then drove to North Carolina's Outer Banks, but that was it.

It is odd to think of New Orleans as the top farm club now. But there's an awful lot to like and root for about the city -- though I just checked, and the Zephyrs' stadium is actually in the main suburb, Metairie.

Comment

I think the Mets have a bright future and could be a perennial world series contender for at least the next 5+ years. Wright, Reyes, and Beltran are all locked up until at least 2010 or 2011 I believe, so those are 3 great franchise players we have to build around right there. Not to mention all of the great young pitchers the Mets have, like Pelfrey, Humber, Maine, and Perez. The future is very bright :gt

Comment

Here here! I think our future's pretty bright, too. Last season and this upcoming season are, IMO, "transition periods" with regards to pitching. Humber, Pelfrey, and Jon Niese (the more I look at this guy, the more I think trading him, even for D-Train, would make a Kazmir trade look positively intelligent) aren't quite ready for the Big Leagues yet, and Oliver Perez's kinks are being worked out. Only one of our young starters, John Maine, is at 100% readiness (though I have little doubt Perez will be by the end of Spring Training). It'll take another half season for Humber, another season for Pelfrey, and Niese is a true diamond in the rough...we may wait three years before he dons a Mets uniform (although he is a mature pitcher). BTW, who thinks we'll see Alay Soler (my choice...he has an Al McBean complex with regards to starting, doesn't want to, but has great potential as a relief pitcher) or Brian Bannister (who should be traded) as a long reliever to start out the season rather than Darren Oliver? Although people are saying Oliver will stay, I'll bet the Yanks throw money at him at the last minute, rashly turn him into a starter, and he melts down. I do think Chad Bradford is going to stay, though.

Comment

I saw a game in Norfolk a couple years ago. You didn't miss much as it is nothing special and Brooklyn is much nicer.
              "All shortstops can dance...Derek Jeter is a fullback with power and speed. Jose Reyes is a tailback with speed and quickness"-"analysis" of the New York shortstops' defense by the genius that is Joe Morgan

Comment

So Valentin's back. Does he start? Backup? Platoon? He's only been signed for a year, and next year's crop of second base FA's is gonna be extremely rich. The Mets are still actively pursuing Soriano according to basically all sources, but they could stick him in left. However, they're also pursuing Lugo and Loretta, which would make me think Valentin would be a backup. However, he stated earlier he'd only resign with the Mets if he were given a starting role. But things could have changed. Thoughts? Although there is of course this complex scenario...
                Vs. Lefthanded pitching, you'd have Soriano at second, Valentin on the bench, and Milledge in LF.

Vs. Righthanded pitching, you'd have Soriano in left, and Valentin at second, with Milledge on the bench.
                Last edited by Dalkowski110; 11-13-2006, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Reyes
                  I think the Mets have a bright future and could be a perennial world series contender for at least the next 5+ years. Wright, Reyes, and Beltran are all locked up until at least 2010 or 2011 I believe, so those are 3 great franchise players we have to build around right there. Not to mention all of the great young pitchers the Mets have, like Pelfrey, Humber, Maine, and Perez. The future is very bright :gt
                  Perez is a good young pitcher

Comment

Yes. He is young (24 or 25), has great stuff and has had success before (see '04) so he definitely has potential.

Comment

Not to mention, the Pirates have managed to screw up practically every pitching prospect to come through their system since 2000 unless the pitcher literally ignores the pitching coach (Maholm, for example). Perez had control problems with the San Diego Padres, which is where he came up with. When he solved those control problems, he was traded along with Jason Bay for Brian Giles, a slugger the Padres felt they needed. Well, Perez, fresh from his coaching with the Padres, turned in what is so far the best season of his career. But then, the Pirates, in their infinite genius, decided that Oliver Perez needed to learn a changeup, a curveball, and two more windups. Perez, like any other pitcher given these rather difficult tasks, flunked them horribly and fell apart. The Pirates, further screwing up Perez, also decided that his arm angle wasn't very good. With the Padres (and Mets), he quite literally reared back and fired. He had a more crimped delivery with the Pirates. You can see this on a baseballthinkfactory post which you can find by Googling "Oliver Perez mechanics." Perez's K/9 ratio went up almost immediately as soon as he joined the Mets, and his BB/9 ratio went down. His speed almost immediately climbed. This is because Rick Peterson knew one of the several things wrong with Oliver Perez...his arm angle. Late in the season, Perez was switched by Peterson from one side of the pitching rubber to the other. He stopped giving up tons of hits. Now, all Peterson has to do is correct Perez's windup (which is doable), getting it as close to his 2004 form as possible. Rick Peterson's humbling since the Victor "I Can Fix Him In Ten Minutes" Zambrano fiasco has seriously turned the guy into a terrific pitching coach. He's taken many arms off of the scrap pile (Bradford, Feliciano, El Duque among others...now he wants to work on Jason Vargas as well as Perez), and I believe he can do it (and is doing it) with Perez.

Comment

Why Alou?

Why did we sign him, I rather see milledege play instead or make a trade for manny. He is old and has had injury problems in the previous years. But hopefully he will do good for us.:grouchy

Comment

Originally posted by rso229
                          ...But hopefully he will do good for us.:grouchy
                          Ah, the usual Mets-fan post-acquisition mantra. I've been uttering that line for years right after I too get done pounding my head on my desk.
                          Put it in the books.

Comment

"Why did we sign him, I rather see milledege play[...]"

Which is exactly why we signed him. If anyone thinks we're exercising the guy's club option, then think again. This move was to give Milledge a full season at New Orleans to develop. Also, Shawn Green will be a free agent next season, even if it is exercised. And Green will NOT be resigned. Many scouts believe that if Milledge started playing every day now, it would stunt his career development. Basically, he needs another year on the AAA level, and that's what we're giving him.

Comment

Originally posted by rso229
                              Why did we sign him, I rather see milledege play instead or make a trade for manny. He is old and has had injury problems in the previous years. But hopefully he will do good for us.:grouchy
                              just look at this article
                              sorry for some grammar mistakes

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X