X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moebarguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I'll admit I was wrong. Getting rid of Seo was no loss. But if Sanchez doesn't return to form, this trade will essentially be a wash - it would have helped neither team.

At this point, I of course like the trade. The potential of Sanchez returning to form is certainly better than having Seo.
    I agree with all of the above statement.

Leave a comment:

• Brooklyn
    replied
    I'll admit I was wrong. Getting rid of Seo was no loss. But if Sanchez doesn't return to form, this trade will essentially be a wash - it would have helped neither team.

At this point, I of course like the trade. The potential of Sanchez returning to form is certainly better than having Seo.

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    Well, my response should've indicated a VERY definite yes.

Leave a comment:

• NJMetfan4life
    replied
    But do you agree with the trade now?

Leave a comment:

• Dalkowski110
    replied
    My, how things have changed...

Seo's K/9 rate, mental makeup, and mechanics were dreadful. He was a classic case of selling high. Tim Hamulack (good mechanics, but not much talent) was cut by the Dodgers and now hopes to make the Royals as a LOOGY competing with Neal Musser (of all people). Duaner Sanchez (who has good mechanics and isn't injury-prone) became one of the most dominant set-up men in baseball until a drunk driver slammed into his taxi. But he's now rehabbed enough to make the MLB roster, at the very least. Steve Schmoll (who also has good mechanics) is a bit of a Quad A type guy, though is working on controlling his inverse-breaking slurve to get back on the 40-man roster.

Leave a comment:

• NJMetfan4life
    replied
    Who agrees with this trade now?

Leave a comment:

• digglahhh
    replied
    I think the test of this move is abstract. If this gets them off the Danys Baez train, I'm okay with it, I guess.

I don't want Baez, I mean, I do, but he's gone after one year and we'd have to give up a lot to rent a set-up man for a year. If the organization feels that Sanchez can't be out set-up man, and that discourages us from selling the farm for a one year set-up rental, I have to look at this trade as an addition by subtraction move. This move is questionable, but if it prevents a worse move- an ounce of prevention is worth a gallon of cure.

Leave a comment:

• Indianagol
    replied
    I think this is a worse move than signing Beltran to that big contract with a no-trade clause. I hate it when managers/coaches bench a player who is doing great simply because one of their "stars" come back from an injury.

I mean, he was 8-2 with a 2.59 ERA in 90 IP.... and he is benched.

I believe the Mets just didn't get enough back to justify dealing Seo here.

Leave a comment:

• Brooklyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Baseball Guru
    I would think it wouldn't be too easy to trade any of those guys.. They are not exactly on the top of everyone's "want" list...
    I wasn't necessarily suggesting they trade one of those other guys (although that would be nice), just poitning out that they traded their only strarting pitcher with any potential upside. I would have preferred them keep six starters, moving one to the bullpen (or even the minors) until the enevitable injury. Or at least get something back in return.

Schmoll last year had a 5.01 ERA with a 1.48 WHIP. Horredous numbers, especially for a reliever. Sanchez had a 3.73 ERA with a 1.35 WHIP. Better, but nothing to drool over (considering Hernandez, who they let go, had a 2.58 ERA and a 1.22 WHIP. Now I like they idea of getting younger, but Hernandez would not have cost them Seo.).

It always seems to me that Minaya never gets enough back. I'm sure it is easier from the fan's perspective, but...

A

Leave a comment:

• moebarguy
    replied
    Originally posted by mojorisin71
    Sports talk radio here in LA says that Colletti wanted Heilman and another prospect, but had to settle for Hamulack.
    He probably also wanted Reyes...Heilman is a better reliever than Sanchez is, so Heilman AND a prospect wouldn't make much sense -- even for a Minaya trade.

Leave a comment:

• Toy Boat
    replied
    Seo was one of my favorite players, but I like this move. Even with the great second half he had last year, I still think Seo is a #4 or 5 pitcher whose value is at its peak. We had a surplus of starters and seemed to have gotten a much needed arm in the pen. Granted I don't know much about Sanchez, but he's 26, throws 95 and is a real workhorse. Plus, he's locked up for another 3 years as opposed to Baez who probably would've been a 1-year-rental.

Leave a comment:

• Ichiro51
    replied
    As a big fan of Seo, I hope he continues his success with the Dodgers. I'm disappointed to see him leave (like many other Mets or Korean fans) as he was developed through the Mets' farm system, come back from TJ surgery, develop 2-3 more pitches last year in the minors and finished 2005 strong like a Cy Young caliber type of pitcher.

Leave a comment:

• Lprof
    replied
    Originally posted by moebarguy
    He was traded along with Tim Hamulack for Duaner Sanchez and Steve Schmoll. Well, at least we didn't trade Aaron Heilman...
    I didn't follow the Mets closely last year (I am an old New Yorker and Mets fan, converted to a White Sox fan when I moved to Chicago many years ago, who has decided to pick up the Mets again, now that my daughter has moved to NYC), but on paper, this trade seems to make little sense. Seo certainly had pretty impressive numbers last year. I know the Mets have a lot of starting pitching, at least in numbers, but when you get past number 2 or 3, is it anything other than ordinary? I realize that this is the real thing, not a fantasy league, but what is it that I am missing about him that could make him so expendable, despite his record?

Leave a comment:

• mojorisin71
    replied
    Sports talk radio here in LA says that Colletti wanted Heilman and another prospect, but had to settle for Hamulack.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    I also question why Jae Seo was traded, as neither of these guys' stats look overly impressive. I'm hearing that Sanchez is to be put in the setup role, and Seo being traded, I guess this also makes me question whether they're still in the race for Danys Baez. Wasn't Seo supposed to be one of the pitchers traded for Baez?

Duaner Sanchez, RHP/RP

Steve Schmoll, RHP/RP

I doubt that anyone would be interested in Glavine, and after having gotten rid of Kevin Brown's gargantuan contract, I doubt that they'd have taken Glavine's.

Any idea on who else Los Angeles might've taken for this trade?
    Last edited by Mattingly; 01-04-2006, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X