Bret Boone Signs with the Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bret Boone Signs with the Mets

Good signing...Even though the Mets aren't known for reviving players' careers, if for some reason he does, it will be a steal...
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Agreed.. A very low risk signing... He's only a year removed from hitting 24 hr's with over 80' rbi's.... Hopefully we can get a good year or 2 from him... Very worst, he is a heck of a better 2B than Matsui
    "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

It's a minor league deal, so I'm not sure how much impact he could have.

Ever since Minnesota dropped him, after Seattle did, I figured he may not have much impact. He literally couldn't hit his weight with the Twins, as he batted only .170, but is listed at 192 lbs in this espn.com link.

I'd say it's something to say, "Well, we can always call up Bret Boone", so as to not seem helpless when trying to trade Kazu Matsui w/o cutting him and his large salary.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Well its a minor league deal but he is invited to ST to compete with Kaz for the 2B job... So if he has a good enough spring, it could be a nice little deal for the Mets...
        "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
        ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

sigpic

Comment

i hope he gets 2b
          Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

-Lou Brock-

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball Guru
            Well its a minor league deal but he is invited to ST to compete with Kaz for the 2B job... So if he has a good enough spring, it could be a nice little deal for the Mets...
            So about what kind of stats would you have to say he'd need to put up before getting the 2B spot?

If so, what would happen to Matsui? Will they trade him or put him on the bench? Or just shop him around until someone takes him?

I'm not sure they'll be able to trade Matsui right now, since I figure that the Mets, like any trade partners, may want to see if he's at least servicable re offense, defense and overall health, before making any deals.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I would guess it would depend on what kind of spring Matsui has on what kind of spring Boone has to have to win that job.. I know Minaya keeps saying the Matsui will be the teams 2B but we also know he is trying like hell to dump him off to another team... You are right though, its going to be a tough sale because Matsui was so horrendous last year...

I really think that unless Boone is just awful in spring, that he will make the team at the very least as a player on the bench.... We lost Marlon Anderson and Miguel Cairo who were both good bench players...
              ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

sigpic

Comment

Boone's career is toast. This is wishful thinking on the Mets. Surely they aren't dumb enough to let a good spring training offset the evidence of two bad years?? Matsui truly sucks, but the Mets would be better off giving some career minor leaguer a chance.
                Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Well, if Boone doesn't work out, we still have Chris Woodward, Anderson Hernandez, and Jeff Keppinger...
                  ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
                  ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                    Boone's career is toast. This is wishful thinking on the Mets. Surely they aren't dumb enough to let a good spring training offset the evidence of two bad years?? Matsui truly sucks, but the Mets would be better off giving some career minor leaguer a chance.
                    I would agree that last year he was awful! But 2 years ago he hit 24 hr's and had 83 rbi's.. The average was alittle low (.251) but I'd take that pop any day over Matsui or another minor leaguer...
                    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

sigpic

Comment

This is a no lose deal for the Mets. If Boone has any sort of return to what he once was, its a great move. If he truly has lost it, it didn't cost much to find out. I don't see how you can criticize the Mets for this signing.
                      Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                      www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

The Mets got this guy for chup change, which is great news for Mets fans.

Downside:

Boone has never been one to hit for .300, the cumulative average for his career being .266. He is aging. Horrendous season last year. Has shown decline since 03'.

Upside:

Signed for only 1 million dinero. Gold Glove caliber fielding. More power in the bat in his short season than Matsui in his whole season. Only had one bad (if very bad) season since 97'.

Overall, a very good signing for the New York franchise, costing very little to get a proven veteran in the mix. Even if he has a flimsy spring training, I think we should get him on the team simply because of his fielding.
                        "What league have you been playing in?"

"California Penal."

"Never heard of it. How'd you wind up there?"

"Stole a car."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X