State of the Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Mets

The Mets are in a very strange place. This team has greatly improved offensively, and in that aspect should be a force to reckon with in the National League. The big question marks entering the off-season were the offense, and the bullpen. Now the pitching staff, once the strong point of the club has become the one weakness. As a fan I'm overjoyed to see Aaron Heilman with a place in the rotation. In 7 starts last year, he was 3-2, and averaged 6 innings 5 hits 3 BB 7.2 K's, and had a 4.92 ERA. Not awful numbers, but not extraordinary either. Jae Seo was undoubtedly the best pitcher in the second half of the season, now he’s replaced by Schmoll and Sanchez. Victor Zambrano is still here. Benson was traded for the high-potential reliever Jorge Julio. Pedro had a bum toe, and Tom Glavine filed for social security. So at this time the Mets rotations looks like this.

1. Pedro Martinez
    2.Tom Glavine
    3. Steve Tracshel
    4.?
    5.?

Heilman, Bannister, Zambrano, Soler will all be competing for the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation. Jeff Weaver is still available, but made $9.3 last season, and is now coming off the best year of his career. Weaver eats innings, but will also eat up most of the space freed by the Benson deal. One of the White Sox pitchers may be available, and Barry Zito might as well, but not unless you give something up (Lasting Milledge). So as Met Fans, what rotation would you realistically like to see in place? And how do you feel about the state of the Mets?
    14 37 41
    Hodges Stengel Seaver
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do, I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

Well you know Heilman will be part of the rotation and in all likelyhood Zambo will be in the rotation just, becuase of major league experience. You could hope for either Bannister or Soler to step up and possibly one of them becoming our number 5 starter. I think the Mets are forced to either sign Weaver or make a trade for Zito, becuase this current rotation is in decline.

Comment

I like the way the Mets look right now, solid and scary bullpen, and a powerful offense. I wonder who'll fill the rotation slots? Are there any legit pitching prospects in the farm system?
      2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Prospects

Mets pitching prospects, they were in abundance before the winter began. Not any more. The Mets traded away two of the best prospects in their farm, Gaby Hernandez who I feel is a legitimate future ace, and Yusmeiro Petit to the Marlins in deals for Delgado and Lo Duca. 2004 1st rd draft pick Philip Humber or Rice recently had Tommy John surgery in July. Michael Pelfery was drafted by the Mets from Wichita State in 2005 in the first round, and though unlikely may have a dark horse chance of being the 5th starter or making the team by mid-season. Brian Bannister was a 6th rd draft pick, and had a decent season at triple A but wasn't expected to be much of a major league prospect on most scouts radars.
        14 37 41
        Hodges Stengel Seaver
        "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do, I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X