Banner Day!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banner Day!!

I was wondering why the mets dropped Banner day in the early 1990s it was such a cool promotion

Didn't everyone parade on the field with their banners between games of a doubleheader?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met View Post
      Didn't everyone parade on the field with their banners between games of a doubleheader?
      Yes and who ever had the best banner won the grand prize. I was sorry to see it go C60

Comment

My favorite ever was a husband with his very pregnant wife carrying a two-person (make that three) banner with an arrow pointing to the "Future Met Warming Up in the Bullpen!"

There was also a mean but funny one. At first all that was visible was "The Bob Murphy Fan Club..." Then the remainder was revealed: "...Meets in a Phone Booth"

Comment

Bring It Back !

Banner Day was a great tradition. Un-pretentious & silly in a uniquely Met way. It was a way of celebrating the fans. I suppose they did away with it because there are no more double headers, but I don't know.

WOR would broadcast the parade on TV. I remember one in particular that made me laugh hysterically as a kid. Two guys holding a venetian blind that said Lets Go Mets or something like that. When they got to the TV camera, they pulled the string to reverse the slats and it read "GRANT SUCKS". Murphy stammered and the camera cut away. It was probably '77 or '78, after the Midnight Massacre.

Did the Wilpons start prohibiting banners and signs at some point ? Shea used to be filled with them all the time, which is why Banner Day started in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by SBBL View Post
            Banner Day was a great tradition. Un-pretentious & silly in a uniquely Met way. It was a way of celebrating the fans. I suppose they did away with it because there are no more double headers, but I don't know.

WOR would broadcast the parade on TV. I remember one in particular that made me laugh hysterically as a kid. Two guys holding a venetian blind that said Lets Go Mets or something like that. When they got to the TV camera, they pulled the string to reverse the slats and it read "GRANT SUCKS". Murphy stammered and the camera cut away. It was probably '77 or '78, after the Midnight Massacre.

Did the Wilpons start prohibiting banners and signs at some point ? Shea used to be filled with them all the time, which is why Banner Day started in the first place.
            It was probably because of signs like the one you mentioned. Fans have changed. Can you imagine all the negative signs now? "Green Sucks", "Trade (insert daily whipping boy of your choice)", etc

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
              It was probably because of signs like the one you mentioned. Fans have changed. Can you imagine all the negative signs now? "Green Sucks", "Trade (insert daily whipping boy of your choice)", etc
              Or "DFA Mota!". I'd be holding that one.
              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

They should modernize banner day and let the kids make up a 30 second video about the Mets and play it on the big screen at Shea and have SNY cover it like on that Mets Kids show they have. It would be a good way to carry on the legacy while keeping with the times. Of course all the video's would need to be submitted ahead of time and screened.

Oh and I'd still want a traditional banner day too , but I guess it became too much of a hassle with all the pranksters.
                Last edited by Mex4Prez; 08-31-2007, 12:01 PM.

Comment

A double-header? What in the world is that?

:candle:
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

I went to the very first Banner Day on September 15, 1963 at the Polo Grounds. It was truly a great tradition. My sisters, for a while, entered banners every year and ended up on TV several times.

Obviously part of the reason they don't have it anymore is that they don't schedule doubleheaders. But I've also heard that in the early '80s, the Mets, for insurance and safety reasons, decided to stop encouraging people to bring banners to the ball park. A big sheet or piece of oak tag or cardboard carried by a strong wind can do some damage. Perhaps there were also complaints about obstructed views. We certainly never thought about those considerations back in the '60s or '70s.
                    sigpic Please check out my book, Mets Fan
                    Please check out my blog, Mets Fan Blog
                    Read about my new book The Last Days of Shea

Comment

Of course, that doesn't stop everyone from bringing large banners, as evinced by this photo taken at last Saturday's game against Philadelphia (09-15-07)...

X

Comment

banner day memories

Originally posted by Mr. Met View Post
                        yes. the banners were paraded , starting from centerfield and continuing around the warning track in left towards home plate. there, the judges would be waiting.at my house in uniondale in the 70 and 80s i never missed a banner day on tv- it was an all day event. in the summer of 83, i was supposed to go to banner day with 2 banners one read ''from the mezzanine to the lodges they all love hodges'' in reference to ron hodges, who my friends and i came to affectionately love.the quiet virginia gentleman as he was known. the other was,''the mets are for real cause whitey cant deal'' in reference to the keith hernandez deal for neil allen and rick ownby.unfortunately, i was at a party the night before, got too zuted, and couldnt make the game. i watched my friends with a hangover on tv!!!!!!!!! anyway, its a shame that every public forum has become one insurance risk. sometimes, i think we overdue it with all the '' supposed '' risks in doing this or that ,and we should just wing it and be more carefree.

Comment

Our Banner Day - send the Mets a message!

Among the numerous joyous Mets traditions discontinued during the Wilpon era is Banner Day. But Jay Schreiber over at The New York Times has come up with a splendid idea: a virtual Banner Day.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...ge/?ref=sports

The problem with The New York Times Banner Day, however, is it’s selective and has a time limit. The antidote to this? Our own Baseball-Fever Mets Banner Day with no time limit and as free and open as our moderators will allow. Since it’s my idea, I’ll go first:

Hey Fred Wilpon! You greedy jerk - you’ve squeezed all the life, passion, joy and every cent possible out of the franchise I grew up loving and left nothing but a miserable unwatchable husk. :dismay:

Shame on you!

Next!

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Here's mine;

YA GOTTA BELIEVE!
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                            unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

THE METS - Better than their "fans"!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...