Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else scared about our rotation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone else scared about our rotation?

I am. Although I agreed with the principle of trading Benson, I don't think Minaya has made any good smaller trades this off-season -- in fact, they all have been terrible. At the beginning of the off-season, the one thing the Mets had was starting pitchers. In all fairness to Minaya, we did need relief help, but that's no reason to get crappy relievers for good starting pitchers. In my opinion, we still do not have a setup guy for Wagner. There were so many relievers available via FA, I just don't understand why Minaya couldn't just sign a few, keep Seo and Benson, or at least get good value out of them (package one of them with Matsui or something). As we stand right now, our rotation looks something like this:
    Pedro Martinez
    Tom Glavine
    Steve Trachsel
    Aaron Heilman
    Victor Zambrano

As good as our offense is (knock on wood), our rotation is too mediocre to advance anywhere in the playoffs. There have been rumors lately of Minaya trying to swing a deal for Jose Contreras...I don't want that guy at all! And, to top it all off, the White Sox are asking for Heilman or Milledge. Now I'm sure if the White Sox were asking for Heilman AND Milledge, Minaya would have done the deal, but luckily that hasn't happened (yet). Who are we kidding here? Something has to be done to make this rotation respectable. Sign Jeff Weaver. I know that a lot people are down on him, especially because of his Yankee days, but now he's older and a more mature pitcher. He did very well for the Dodgers last year in a pitcher's park, and with more run support, he could put up a very good year for the Mets. Also, he'd be able to step in and be our second pitcher in the rotation, which would bump Glavine down to the #3 (which is a bit more respectable). As much as I'd like to trade for Barry Zito, I just don't think he's worth Heilman and Milledge. I know how much success he's had, and how he's a lefty, but he's a free agent after this season, and we'd have a lot of pressure to sign him and we'd end up really overpaying for him (look at Benson). As it looks right now, instead of having a deep rotation and no bullpen, we now have a mediocre rotation and no bullpen. Can you say early exit?
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

I agree, the rotation has more question marks than the Riddler's jumpsuit. Can Pedro continue to pitch lights out with his modified cleats? Can Glavine squeeze out one more decent year? Will Zambrano ever pitch up to his potential? Is Heilman for real, or was last year an aberration? Will Traschel have one of his traditional down years?
    I do not agree with the Benson trade, nor giving up on Seo. They are number 3-4 starters in any rotation. Conventional wisdom makes me think the rotation is set for the season with maybe a Contreras or Zito trade later in the season. Let's just hope the price ain't too high.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

They would both cost more at the deadline...
      ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

you can never have enough starting pitching. giving up both soo and benson makes me worry. you can't count on the mets pitchers because of their age. and pedro has always needed extra days off at times. who going to fill in?

Comment

Yeah, those guys are too old, too fragile, and too expensive. I'll trade you even up.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Meh, I think the Mets is going to struggle in pitching this year, and I am still convinced that Benson trade for two subpar relievers, one a has-been closer, another a rookie, is going to make the Mets regret with the rotation. How about Jorge Julio and John Maine for Contreras, then somehow Jeff Weaver signs with us? I know this isn't going to happen, but the Mets have WAY TOO MANY relievers.

(Yes I am a former Mets fan, so many of you might agree on the latter sentence.)

Comment

The thing is that I didn't have a problem trading Benson -- in fact I wanted to. It's just that we didn't get anything in return, which I didn't want. Benson was coming off a pretty solid season, and there were a ton of teams out there that needed starting pitching. Whatever happened to giving up something to get something...The Mets always seem to give up something for nothing (in terms of getting and trading prospects or vets).
              ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by moebarguy
                The thing is that I didn't have a problem trading Benson -- in fact I wanted to. It's just that we didn't get anything in return, which I didn't want. Benson was coming off a pretty solid season, and there were a ton of teams out there that needed starting pitching. Whatever happened to giving up something to get something...The Mets always seem to give up something for nothing (in terms of getting and trading prospects or vets).
                Like a gold glove CF which SEVERAL teams needed to San Diego for Xavier Nady? That made alot of sense! I'm sure we could've finagled a servicable player from Boston or Detriot for him!
                unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Yes. Exactly that...
                  ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

Imagine if the Mets did not trade Kazmir for Zambrano, I would like the lineup more.
                    I know that your a sucker, for anything acoustic
                    -Brand New

Comment

GM for dummies (especially Minaya)

It's another reason why Omar Minaya is an idiot: he makes some really silly trades for low-key players. Okay, somebody explain the Cameron for Nady trade? Or Benson for two below-average relievers, which the Mets are literally harbored with?

What's next? Bobby Bonilla returns from retirement? Gregg Jeffries is the Mets' first baseman again? They could have given a Benson and Cameron trade for Polanco and Bonderman, but NOOO, Minaya had to make things so hard and got ourselves another right fielder. The Lo Duca trade was understandable, and I know the Mets wanted to keep Cameron, but he was worth a lot of money. So who did we Mets get? A right fielder that played most of his games at 1B last year.

Comment

Originally posted by laxplayer81217
                        Imagine if the Mets did not trade Kazmir for Zambrano, I would like the lineup more.
                        Let's not beat a dead horse here -- it kills me every time I see the name Kazmir...
                        ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

You guys better pray there are no major injuries in the WBC, spring training, or early in the season. Bow...I mean Minaya so far has done the following:
                          Trade the Minors for Big Names
                          Trade Benson, Seo, and Cameron for mostly nobodies.
                          Signed Tike Redman, Endy Chavez, and Julio Franco to make up for it.

Can you imagine Glavine being your ace without Pedro? Tike Redman in LF, Endy Chavez in CF in place of Floyd and Beltran? Julio Franco the 1B?

Then again, this could mean good things for the Bench Team Nats who will trade away all the backups and reserves to New York. Yay Injuries!
                          Last edited by KingJ; 02-09-2006, 05:08 PM.
                          The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
                          Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Worried?? Me Worried??

Originally posted by KingJ
                            You guys better pray there are no major injuries in the WBC, spring training, or early in the season. Bow...I mean Minaya so far has done the following:

Can you imagine Glavine being your ace without Pedro? Tike Redman in LF, Endy Chavez in CF in place of Floyd and Beltran? Julio Franco the 1B?

Then again, this could mean good things for the Bench Team Nats who will trade away all the backups and reserves to New York. Yay Injuries!
                            Remember what Tug sed.."Ya Gotta Believe".. And I believe we got a
                            problem....

North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ

Endy Chavez will backup Beltran, and Tike Redman has been designated for assignment a while ago. Julio Franco will back up Carlos Delgado or most likely pinch hit. Trading minor leaguers for big names is a way to damage reputation, and getting rid of the big guys for nobodies is going to dent the foundation even worse. Willie Randolph has nothing to do with this, it's Omar "Oman" Minaya.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X