No announcement yet.

Amed Rosario

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a little Fake News alert. He was never compared to Ozzie Smith, at least in this thread. The first time the name Ozzie Smith was mention was facetiously by Mandrake :

Yesterday, 09:34 AM
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Like all other players time will tell as they evolve and the league evolves to them.

He looks very raw to me and like you said the wild swinging needs to be contained or he will never see a strike from a pitcher.
    You're wrong Pauly ! He has "Mets" across his chest. He's already better than Ozzie Smith.

Comment

Anyway, he made a nice play charging in last night. He also seems competent at turning the double play. Perhaps it is wishful thinking or not seeing young skilled SSs in action for the home team lately, but he looks good defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
        Anyway, he made a nice play charging in last night. He also seems competent at turning the double play. Perhaps it is wishful thinking or not seeing young skilled SSs in action for the home team lately, but he looks good defensively.
        He does look good playing "D". He will get more comfortable as time goes and hopefully he hits.

Comment

In all seriousness, he reminds me of Rey Ordonez in that he has good range and good closing speed on weakly hit balls. These are two things that cannot be taught that he does naturally and why he is already a good defensive short stop.

Offensively, his free swinging needs to be reigned in, He has great speed and would make a good leadoff hitter, but he needs to learn plate discipline for that to happen. That may or may not take place. Either way, I am enjoying watching him play and want to see Dominic Smith up as well because this season is over and both could use some seasoning for next season and because it will actually give us something to watch.

I also want to see Harvey, Syndergaard and Familia back on the team this year. If a player sits too long, it takes them even longer to find their groove again. I'd rather see them stumble a bit this season and get their groove back rather than wait until 2018 and see the team back in the toilet again.

Comment

Just a little Fake News alert. He was never compared to Ozzie Smith, at least in this thread. The first time the name Ozzie Smith was mention was facetiously by Mandrake :

Yesterday, 09:34 AM
            Like all other players time will tell as they evolve and the league evolves to them.

He looks very raw to me and like you said the wild swinging needs to be contained or he will never see a strike from a pitcher.
            You're wrong Pauly ! He has "Mets" across his chest. He's already better than Ozzie Smith.
            I didn't take it facetiously. I hope you're right and I'm wrong thinking he was being mocked. Because prospects are just that. I'm already wondering what HOF'er will be compared to Dominic Smith facetiously.

I was at the game this afternoon and Rosario is smooth and made several plays that turned into surprising outs. He can't pitch though.
            Last edited by LI METS FAN; 08-09-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I guess I shouldn't try t read people's minds on the internet. Anyhew, he really does look good in the field. It would be nice to keep this thread to him and his play and leave the "team baggage" issues to the appropriate threads.

Comment

Rosario, seen more good then bad,, but the free swinging and plate discipline is awful though,, right now i see a great fielding young Jose Reyes wannabee,, hopefully he can learn and mature at the plate and we got ourselves a keeper !!!

Comment

Originally posted by nymTom View Post
                  Rosario, seen more good then bad,, but the free swinging and plate discipline is awful though,, right now i see a great fielding young Jose Reyes wannabee,, hopefully he can learn and mature at the plate and we got ourselves a keeper !!!
                  I don't think its fair to call him a Reyes "wannabee". The fact that you think he is a great fielder (although I don't see great just yet) puts him ahead of Reyes at any point in Reyes' career. Unless of course if you thought Reyes was a great fielder.

He does need a lot more plate discipline.

Lets hope he develops - too early to tell.

Comment

I don't think its fair to call him a Reyes "wannabee". The fact that you think he is a great fielder (although I don't see great just yet) puts him ahead of Reyes at any point in Reyes' career. Unless of course if you thought Reyes was a great fielder.

He does need a lot more plate discipline.

Lets hope he develops - too early to tell.
                    i had no problem with Reyes defense when he was younger , yes ordonez was better but we dont know if rosario is a Reyes in the field or Ordonez but id be happy either way , its his bat that really needs to stand out more like Reyes did then ordonez. and the plate discipline needs lots of work !!! ,,,Look at the way Didi Gregorius developed as a Yankee , that's how i want to see Rosario develop

Comment

Originally posted by nymTom View Post

i had no problem with Reyes defense when he was younger , yes ordonez was better but we dont know if rosario is a Reyes in the field or Ordonez but id be happy either way , its his bat that really needs to stand out more like Reyes did then ordonez. and the plate discipline needs lots of work !!! ,,,Look at the way Didi Gregorius developed as a Yankee , that's how i want to see Rosario develop
                      As do we all.

Comment

Since I checked Dominic Smith I thought I should check the final numbers on the other half of the rookie tandem. 46 g 170 PA 16 R 4 2B/3B/HR (at least he is consistent) 10 RBI 7 SB 3 CS 3BB 49 K (yowza) 248/271/394. I can't make heads or tails out of Fangraphs fielding ratings it seems to be positive. Baseball Reference is negative (as in below average). sigh

Comment

In checking Fangraphs for his defensive data I say this article on his page. I think his walk percentage jumps out as being absurdly low from the comp list they choose. It might be historically low.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-b...debut-exactly/

Comment

In checking Fangraphs for his defensive data I say this article on his page. I think his walk percentage jumps out as being absurdly low from the comp list they choose. It might be historically low.

Well that wasn't very encouraging. Its still too early to tell, but there is obviously a long long way to go for Rosario.

As we discussed during the season his performance was underwhelming to say the least, but at the age of 21 its not panic time yet. He has a lot of physical maturing to do plus (hopefully) he works hard to increase his bat speed/and his eye at the at plate.

Comment

Yup. He has a lot of work to do, but he seems to have glimpses of the native ability to make one hope that with some work he can be very good.

Comment

Reyes turned 21 during the 2004 season but his Rookie year was 2003. In 2004 Reyes had 5 Walks in 229 Plate appearances. Similar to Rosario's age 21 season in walk percentage.

Rosario could have stayed in the Minors but with the Mets out of it no harm in learning at the big league level.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X