Dominic Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominic Smith

He's improved since his first couple years in pro ball. Even this season at AAA he's improved as the year has progressed. Perhaps working with Kevin Long might unlock the power many think is latent. Either way he'll be a big part of the Mets universe the next few seasons.

Most opinion thought he was the best "pure" H.S. hitter in the draft when the Mets chose him. Of course he's positionally limited to first base and will be expected to slug. I always did like Dave Magadan and would be pleased if Smith could match some of Magadan's better Mets seasons, which is actually a pretty lofty target. Smith certainly should have more power.

Discuss.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Haven't listened to WFAN lately but just caught Francesa speaking with Eddie Coleman. Mike said he'd heard scouts say Smith is fat and lazy. On day he's named PCL player of the month. Wow. I'm surprised at that.

Comment

Smith to be with Mets for Friday night's game.

Comment

Let's use these next few weeks to see what an infield of Smith/Flores/Rosario/Cabrera+Reyes can do. I'd rather Flores at 3B, but God knows they have to play Reyes and Cabrera for...reasons...because they're so very, very in their prime...
        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Projecting Dominic Smith
          http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...dominic-smith/
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
            Haven't listened to WFAN lately but just caught Francesa speaking with Eddie Coleman. Mike said he'd heard scouts say Smith is fat and lazy. On day he's named PCL player of the month. Wow. I'm surprised at that.
            Last night was the first time I've seen Smith - I don't know if he's lazy, but he's undeniably a bit thick around the middle.
            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              Last night was the first time I've seen Smith - I don't know if he's lazy, but he's undeniably a bit thick around the middle.
              Its an admitted prejudice I have but I when I see a fat (not politically correct, but it is what it is) 24 year old professional athlete nowadays I immediately have the negative vibe.

With all the training, nutrition, and supplementation that these guys have access to there is no excuse whatsoever to be plain ole fat at 24.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Its an admitted prejudice I have but I when I see a fat (not politically correct, but it is what it is) 24 year old professional athlete nowadays I immediately have the negative vibe.

With all the training, nutrition, and supplementation that these guys have access to there is no excuse whatsoever to be plain ole fat at 24.
                Prince Fielder.
                :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Originally posted by trepye View Post

Prince Fielder.
                  Santa Claus. Should we keep naming famous fat guys?

So Prince Fielder's "condition" was ok for you? Maybe it was, but I always felt he could have without a doubt been a better player if he realized that the South Beach Diet didn't mean you went to South Beach and ate it.

Also Prince was pretty much done at 30 years old -- probably not a great example.

One fat guy for the road: Jackie Gleason
                  Last edited by Paulypal; 08-17-2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Santa Claus. Should we keep naming famous fat guys?

So Prince Fielder's "condition" was ok for you? Maybe it was, but I always felt he could have without a doubt been a better player if he realized that the South Beach Diet didn't mean you went to South Beach and ate it.

Also Prince was pretty much done at 30 years old -- probably not a great example.

One fat guy for the road: Jackie Gleason
                    Prince gave 9 solid seasons out of 12 in MLB , id take that from Smith anyday even if he is done by 32. but from what i seen from Smith im not that high on him just yet, we shall see, and screw the scouting reports, those idiots are usually wrong !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nymTom View Post

Prince gave 9 solid seasons out of 12 in MLB , id take that from Smith anyday even if he is done by 32. but from what i seen from Smith im not that high on him just yet, we shall see, and screw the scouting reports, those idiots are usually wrong !!!!!
                      Dominic Smith is not Prince Fielder. Smith needs to get into better condition. Anything other than the contrary is just not being very smart.

A 22 year old in that condition is usually a recipe for disaster. Everyone picks the one anomaly and says "see".

Comment

Dominic Smith is not Prince Fielder. Smith needs to get into better condition. Anything other than the contrary is just not being very smart.

A 22 year old in that condition is usually a recipe for disaster. Everyone picks the one anomaly and says "see".
                        Im not saying be fat cause other fat guys were succesful cause odds are against u that ur body will break down faster if your overweight , Ryan Howard comes to mind and Mo Vaughn as well didnt last .. I dont think Smith is on any of these guys level as far as talent goes though , we shall see

Comment

Originally posted by nymTom View Post

Im not saying be fat cause other fat guys were succesful cause odds are against u that ur body will break down faster if your overweight , Ryan Howard comes to mind and Mo Vaughn as well didnt last .. I dont think Smith is on any of these guys level as far as talent goes though , we shall see
                          I just think you have to give yourself the best possible shot to succeed and Dominic Smith needs to reevaluate what he wants to his big league career to be.

He said he was going to lose weight and get in better shape this off season. He does seem like a good kid that didn't have it easy so hopefully he puts the work in.

Comment

After a very slow start in August where he posted a 164/187/313 mark, he has had a very good September so far. He has a 298/375/596 slash line with 5 2B and 4 HR among his 17 hits to go with 14 RBI. It could just be one of those things, or he is facing September call ups rather than major league starters, but it is better than the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                              After a very slow start in August where he posted a 164/187/313 mark, he has had a very good September so far. He has a 298/375/596 slash line with 5 2B and 4 HR among his 17 hits to go with 14 RBI. It could just be one of those things, or he is facing September call ups rather than major league starters, but it is better than the alternative.
                              Lets hope he its because he is playing first in 2018 regardless of what happens.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X