Dominic Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Lets hope he its because he is playing first in 2018 regardless of what happens.
    Yeah. Hope he tones up a bit in the off season. Presumably with a major league salary that will be easier to manage.

Comment

You have to wonder - will he be Prince Fielder, or will he be Pablo Sandoval?
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

The real challenge for Smith is making adjustments. Once he gets around the league, pitchers and team will try to find and exploit his weaknesses. Smith needs to make adjustments to their adjustments. It's a perpetual arms race between hitters and pitchers. Look at Ike Davis, who was another lefty hitter. He struggled after his 2012 season and he struggled to the pitchers adjusting to his swing. They will stop throwing him fastballs, throw him more off-speed and breaking pitches to get him to chase. He needs to make adjustments for his sophomore season.
        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Out of curiosity I checked his final stats. Maybe I should have paid more careful attention the last few weeks. 49 g 183 PA 17 R 6 2B 9 HR 26 RBI 198/262/395. I wish him well. Certainly players have underwhelmed in their first taste of the majors and gone onto success like Aaron Judge or Mike Schmidt, but many more have faded into anonimity.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
            Out of curiosity I checked his final stats. Maybe I should have paid more careful attention the last few weeks. 49 g 183 PA 17 R 6 2B 9 HR 26 RBI 198/262/395. I wish him well. Certainly players have underwhelmed in their first taste of the majors and gone onto success like Aaron Judge or Mike Schmidt, but many more have faded into anonimity.

Agreed to early to call, but when I hear projections regarding 2018 as far as Met success Smith/Rosario are part of the reason I question the success. I am not saying they wont be good players, but they are not anything we can count on, and even the most optimistic fan couldn't have seen anything "special" in either of them.

Comment

Agreed to early to call, but when I hear projections regarding 2018 as far as Met success Smith/Rosario are part of the reason I question the success. I am not saying they wont be good players, but they are not anything we can count on, and even the most optimistic fan couldn't have seen anything "special" in either of them.
              The book on Dominic is he is more of a high average than a power hitter with a Gold Glove. I'd be happy with a .280-.300 CONSISTANT hitter in the lineup with a gold glove
              North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

The book on Dominic is he is more of a high average than a power hitter with a Gold Glove. I'd be happy with a .280-.300 CONSISTANT hitter in the lineup with a gold glove
                Agreed, but lets hope that's what he turns into.

I am hoping he is working out right now and eating properly so he comes to camp looking like an athlete.

Comment

I am hoping he is working out right now and eating properly so he comes to camp looking like an athlete.
                  Yep, I think we will know a lot about Mr. Smiths future career once we see him arrive at camp in February.

Comment

Well I got my wish.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/07/inside...ransformation/

Awesome for Smith - he did a great job of losing weight. Reported loss is 30 pounds and you can see it in the pic even with the jacket on.

He put the work into becoming a player. I think you have to respect the effort.

He made me a fan and I am hoping the Mets have an open enough mind to give him a legit shot to win the job over AGon.

Lets just hope he performs well enough to get it done.

Comment

Well I got my wish.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/07/inside...ransformation/

Awesome for Smith - he did a great job of losing weight. Reported loss is 30 pounds and you can see it in the pic even with the jacket on.

He put the work into becoming a player. I think you have to respect the effort.

He made me a fan and I am hoping the Mets have an open enough mind to give him a legit shot to win the job over AGon.

Lets just hope he performs well enough to get it done.
                      You don't have to be skinny to become a player. Look at the Bambino; or look at Lolich, Fielder Sr. and Jr., and various others over the history of the game.

But the Maverick seemed to be holding that over Dom as a requirement. He did it.

I would have liked to have seen him get his shot this season. Early James Loney production isn't bad. If he wasn't great, others could have shifted to first. No reason to block him for Gonzales. Then again Nimmo and Flores are at the bottom of the depth chart and I'd like to see both get long looks as starters. Alderson wastes a lot of potential value.

I probably would have traded Smith as a prospect when his value was highest and planned on keeping Duda. Net value to the team would have been higher, but since Smith is here I'd like to see what he can do. As a fan, I'd like the chance to be pleasantly surprised by him. I like the young fellow and feel there's a likelihood his hit tool could shine if given the chance.

One of the things that irritates me about the organization is the way it misuses its own talent.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

You don't have to be skinny to become a player. Look at the Bambino; or look at Lolich, Fielder Sr. and Jr., and various others over the history of the game.

But the Maverick seemed to be holding that over Dom as a requirement. He did it.

I would have liked to have seen him get his shot this season. Early James Loney production isn't bad. If he wasn't great, others could have shifted to first. No reason to block him for Gonzales. Then again Nimmo and Flores are at the bottom of the depth chart and I'd like to see both get long looks as starters. Alderson wastes a lot of potential value.

I probably would have traded Smith as a prospect when his value was highest and planned on keeping Duda. Net value to the team would have been higher, but since Smith is here I'd like to see what he can do. As a fan, I'd like the chance to be pleasantly surprised by him. I like the young fellow and feel there's a likelihood his hit tool could shine if given the chance.

One of the things that irritates me about the organization is the way it misuses its own talent.
                        You don't have to be skinny but if you are out of shape it says something. The Bambino, Lolich, Sr became more overweight in their later years. Prince always was. You don't have to be but damn sure helps. For every 1 guy that you can mention that was that out of shape -- I am sure you can name 20 that were in shape.

Personally when I see a young athlete that out of shape I think it sends a really bad message. Smith realized that he was grossly overweight and did something about it. Again I am glad for him and rooting for him to take the job and produce.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Your boy the Maverick may have saved Smith's career by challenging him to take his profession seriously and get in shape.

Comment

So the guy is trying win a job and is late for a meeting and is benched.

File this under -- you cant make this stuff up

Comment

Dom Smith plays in Manhattan softball league game
                              Smith pinch-hit in the game

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-do...game/297599102
                              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Looks like the sleep apnea might have been a problem for Smith. He's certainly been looking really good lately.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X