Dominic Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Looks like the sleep apnea might have been a problem for Smith. He's certainly been looking really good lately.
    Smith continues to have professional at bats. In spite of only being up once a game, on average, Dom works the at bats and his swing has looked great. Alonso has been great, but Smith should be recognized. He's beginning to look "as advertised" when he was drafted.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

I'm glad the Mets finally wised up and found a place for Dom Smith in the lineup. When McNeil comes back, I think he should be moved to 3B, with Dom staying in LF. Or maybe the unthinkable: move McNeil to 2B and shift Cano to the bench.

For the long term good of the team, Smith needs to play. We're seeing the hit tool now that scouts raved over when he was drafted. As we've seen repeatedly, it's probably the most important tool for long term success.
      Last edited by Mongoose; 06-02-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Smith managed to give a feel-good ending to a too-early season finale. You couldn't ask for a better return from an extended absence.

I've said it before in this thread, but he seems like a fine young man, with a sweet swing, and I hope the Mets can find a place for his bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
          Smith managed to give a feel-good ending to a too-early season finale. You couldn't ask for a better return from an extended absence.

I've said it before in this thread, but he seems like a fine young man, with a sweet swing, and I hope the Mets can find a place for his bat.
          I just told someone that he gets to take that last at bat into the off season after not being there for a while.

Great ending for him.

He seems like a really good kid. you can see he and Alonso are buddies.

Comment

That was a great finish to the season, and it couldn't happen to a nicer kid. I also hope he's a Met next season, though it seems unlikely.

I have a confession to make. When Adeiny Hechavarría hit a home run to tie it in the 9th, and another one to go ahead in the 11th (doubling his HR total for the year), I was hoping it would hold up.
            If anyone doesn't know, The Mets released him one day before he would have earned a $1 million bonus. He was pissed off, and who could blame him? It would have been karma for Fred and Jeff to have the last game of the season spoiled by Hechavarria.

But the feeling passed quickly when Smith hit the home run.
            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              That was a great finish to the season, and it couldn't happen to a nicer kid. I also hope he's a Met next season, though it seems unlikely.

I have a confession to make. When Adeiny Hechavarría hit a home run to tie it in the 9th, and another one to go ahead in the 11th (doubling his HR total for the year), I was hoping it would hold up.
              If anyone doesn't know, The Mets released him one day before he would have earned a $1 million bonus. He was pissed off, and who could blame him? It would have been karma for Fred and Jeff to have the last game of the season spoiled by Hechavarria.

But the feeling passed quickly when Smith hit the home run.
              I agree with you. It would have been poetic justice for Hechavarria to poop on the Wilpons' party. I'm a Dom Smith fan, though, and the way he's responded after having his role usurped by Alonso demonstrates great maturity and a winning character. He seemed likable to begin with, but he's shown a lot with his mental resiliency this year. Good to see him basking in the glow of a big win, especially considering it'll be his only at bat for months.

It should also be mentioned that even after missing all that time, he looked to be in great shape. Obviously he's been training, but it could well be the weight problems were a result of the sleep apnea.

Speaking for myself, I develop a fondness for the organizational players I see develop over years. You're watching men like Smith, Flores, Nimmo, etc. grow up. You want them to succeed. On the other hand, watching the Wilpons over years generates the opposite feeling. The last couple innings, with the bullpen meltdown and near-loss should be a reminder there's a lot of work to do this off-season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X