Dominic Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Dom Smith has made a great turnaround and we all like him, but if I was voting I would vote for the player I feel deserves the actual award based upon his play. That isnt Dominic Smith. It is supposed to be the top hitter in each league. To me that is clearly Freddie Freeman or Soto - everyone else on the list is a very distant 3rd place.
    Agreed. I'm voting for Freeman. As I posted in the Current Events forum, Freddie's my favorite MLB player who isn't a New York Met. He's been under the National radar for years, but I've watched him killing the Mets for years, and I'm glad he's getting some well-deserved recognition now. He had an MVP-worthy season, and is currently having a terrific LCS.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Dom Smith has made a great turnaround and we all like him, but if I was voting I would vote for the player I feel deserves the actual award based upon his play. That isnt Dominic Smith. It is supposed to be the top hitter in each league. To me that is clearly Freddie Freeman or Soto - everyone else on the list is a very distant 3rd place.
      Soto had a better year. Freeman's a good player every season. On the other hand, the Mets have always gotten cheated out of hardware. Gooden had a 13 WAR season in 1985, and still didn't get the MVP. No Met has ever won it. Seaver was the only pitcher to lead the league in ERA and K's, two times, and not get a Cy Young Award either year.

I'm not voting as an objective judge, I'm voting as a Mets fan, and a Dom Smith fan. He probably won't win, but it'll be nice for a Met to see some votes.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Soto had a better year. Freeman's a good player every season. On the other hand, the Mets have always gotten cheated out of hardware. Gooden had a 13 WAR season in 1985, and still didn't get the MVP. No Met has ever won it. Seaver was the only pitcher to lead the league in ERA and K's, two times, and not get a Cy Young Award either year.

I'm not voting as an objective judge, I'm voting as a Mets fan, and a Dom Smith fan. He probably won't win, but it'll be nice for a Met to see some votes.
        I just much rather see the deserving player win otherwise the award is meaningless.

If Dom Smith won the award it would be a disservice in my opinion. Soto or Freeman would have been robbed. The earth would not stop spinning but it would be a disservice nonetheless.

I hope he wins it next year by hitting .350 with 35 homers.

BTW when Seaver lost the CYA in 1970 - Gibson was 23-7 with a 3.12 vs Seaver 18-12 with a 2.82 in an era when wins was the key stat. Seaver came in 7th that year. Nowadays it may have a different outcome. 1971 - there is no good answer other than Jenkins had 4 more wins....I guess.

Gooden was robbed in 1985 and Straw in 1988.

In 1999 Rafael Palmeiro won the Gold Glove at 1st base and played 28 games at the position while DH'ing 128 games. It makes the award useless.
        Last edited by Paulypal; 10-17-2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X