Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Wright shut down after 3 games (2 of which involved DHing)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Wright shut down after 3 games (2 of which involved DHing)

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/201...ext_is_un.html

*ahem*

How much longer does this need to go on? He has been done for 2 years now. If not for the contract this would have been a dead issue in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      How much longer does this need to go on? He has been done for 2 years now. If not for the contract this would have been a dead issue in 2015.
      I want him to make one appearance at Citi Field.... to say goodbye and to cost Wilponzi millions in lost insurance coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        Correct. They can't release him because it would void the insurance, and they can't possibly trade him.

The best case scenario is that the doctors declare Wright unfit to play, which (I believe) will maintain the insurance. Then, all of us, including Wright, can finally move on.

Comment

I lifted this from metsmerized....author David Cassilo

David Wright, his contract and its insurance

As explained by Adam Rubin of SNY, “if Wright never appears in the Majors again, the Mets would be reimbursed for $15 million of the $20 million owed to him this season. If Wright does reach the Majors and heads back to the DL, the deductible clock starts again and the Mets would be on the hook for 100 percent of his salary during the next 60 days. Therefore, an emotional but fleeting return for the captain to the Mets would be incredibly costly for the organization.”

To that, there’s only one reply – who cares?

The Mets are a Major League baseball team playing in the largest market in the league. Their payroll flexibility should not live and die by whether Wright’s contract is covered by insurance. With good reason, years and years of cost-cutting moves has jaded the perspective of the Mets fan. Look no further than the Jay Bruce trade.

Because of this philosophy, Wright has somehow become the villain for wanting to play in 2017 and the financial ramifications that might come with that. Wright, though, should be viewed as anything but. He’s perhaps the greatest position player in franchise history. He’s also refused to give up on his career despite a series of debilitating injuries. Wright has absolutely nothing to do with the economic philosophies of the front office and he should not be blamed for such.

The Mets, who again play in New York City, have just two players on their 40-man roster (Wright and Yoenis Cespedes) making over $10 million this season. Prior to recent trades, that number was still only four players (Neil Walker and Curtis Granderson). The Washington Nationals have eight such players.

At the end of the day, the Mets’ payroll should not depend on whether or not Wright’s contract gets insurance. Unfortunately, by the team allowing that perception, it has caused great ambivalence among the fanbase about Wright’s return.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
            I lifted this from metsmerized....author David Cassilo

David Wright, his contract and its insurance

As explained by Adam Rubin of SNY, “if Wright never appears in the Majors again, the Mets would be reimbursed for $15 million of the $20 million owed to him this season. If Wright does reach the Majors and heads back to the DL, the deductible clock starts again and the Mets would be on the hook for 100 percent of his salary during the next 60 days. Therefore, an emotional but fleeting return for the captain to the Mets would be incredibly costly for the organization.”

To that, there’s only one reply – who cares?

The Mets are a Major League baseball team playing in the largest market in the league. Their payroll flexibility should not live and die by whether Wright’s contract is covered by insurance. With good reason, years and years of cost-cutting moves has jaded the perspective of the Mets fan. Look no further than the Jay Bruce trade.

Because of this philosophy, Wright has somehow become the villain for wanting to play in 2017 and the financial ramifications that might come with that. Wright, though, should be viewed as anything but. He’s perhaps the greatest position player in franchise history. He’s also refused to give up on his career despite a series of debilitating injuries. Wright has absolutely nothing to do with the economic philosophies of the front office and he should not be blamed for such.

The Mets, who again play in New York City, have just two players on their 40-man roster (Wright and Yoenis Cespedes) making over $10 million this season. Prior to recent trades, that number was still only four players (Neil Walker and Curtis Granderson). The Washington Nationals have eight such players.

At the end of the day, the Mets’ payroll should not depend on whether or not Wright’s contract gets insurance. Unfortunately, by the team allowing that perception, it has caused great ambivalence among the fanbase about Wright’s return.
            Well ask most Met fans who have to play GM and worry about Wright's salary (and everyone else's) like it is coming out of their pocket.

The organization has the fan base bamboozled.

Comment

Now rotator cuff surgery ?

Comment

Now rotator cuff surgery ?
                Correct. I believe the recovery time takes around 6 months. Factoring Wright's other ailments as well as his age, you should probably write him off for longer though.

It's strongly possible that he will be out on May 27, 2018 -- 2 full years since his last MLB game.

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post

Correct. I believe the recovery time takes around 6 months. Factoring Wright's other ailments as well as his age, you should probably write him off for longer though.

It's strongly possible that he will be out on May 27, 2018 -- 2 full years since his last MLB game.
                  I have been saying for years that he is done. Once I learned that if he came back even just for one at bat it would cost the Wilpons millions in lost insurance money, I really am rooting for one last appearance. He can give a farewell speech "Today., I cost Fred ,and his imbecile son, millions of dollars"...which would get a standing ovation for the ages.

Comment

I have been saying for years that he is done. Once I learned that if he came back even just for one at bat it would cost the Wilpons millions in lost insurance money, I really am rooting for one last appearance. He can give a farewell speech "Today., I cost Fred ,and his imbecile son, millions of dollars"...which would get a standing ovation for the ages.
                    They are imbeciles for paying him what they paid him to begin with. He should have been traded at the same time as Dickey.

Comment

all about getting paid at this point.. yes i believe the will and desire are there but his body is shot,, A great Met and solid career but its over , "get him a body bag" !!!

Comment

"Mets 3B David Wright underwent a laminotomy procedure on his lower back Thursday in Los Angeles, the team announced.

A laminotomy is a "minimally invasive" procedure "designed to relieve a compressed nerve in the back of the spinal cord," according to the Laser Spine Institute.

"Through this entire rehab process, I have been driven to get back on the field as quickly as I can," Wright said in a statement. "That's why I had the shoulder surgery and that's why today I underwent back surgery to reduce the risk of further issues going forward. With these two surgeries behind me, I hope to be able to put on a Mets uniform again as soon as possible. My desire to play is as strong as ever."

Wright, who has been dealing with spinal stenosis since 2015, said it was his shoulder -- not his back -- that derailed his return to the Mets this season.

"I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders,'' Wright told Kevin Kernan of the NY Post after undergoing rotator cuff surgery last month. "At least now, I have peace of mind, and hope, that if all goes well with the surgery, this is what they thought it was and that's corrected now."

Wright said over the summer htat he has not considered retirment.

"I think I still have something to give," he said. "There's still kind of that passion and that fire in me."

After sitting idle for five months with a shoulder impingement, Wright tested his shoulder during three games with High-A St. Lucie in late-August. After again experiencing more pain when trying to throw, Wright terminated the rehab. The next day's MRI revealed deterioration of his rotator cuff and labrum, which were surgically repaired the following week.

The 34-year-old has been limited to 75 games the past three seasons due to issues associated with his hamstring, upper spine and lumbar spinal stenosis -- a condition in his lower back that he will forever need to monitor.

Wright played in just 37 games last season due to a herniated disc in his upper-spine, which led to corrective surgery and the pain in his shoulder that was addressed surgically.

According to Wright, the Mets have yet to push him on moving to first base, though he told Kernan he is open to anything the team needs him to do to remain on field in the future."

I give Wright a lot of credit for trying but it is time to give it up. Maybe he can get on the next coaching staff somehow and hopefully can manage the Mets one day. All around good guy in a business of selfishness.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                          "Mets 3B David Wright underwent a laminotomy procedure on his lower back Thursday in Los Angeles, the team announced.

A laminotomy is a "minimally invasive" procedure "designed to relieve a compressed nerve in the back of the spinal cord," according to the Laser Spine Institute.

"Through this entire rehab process, I have been driven to get back on the field as quickly as I can," Wright said in a statement. "That's why I had the shoulder surgery and that's why today I underwent back surgery to reduce the risk of further issues going forward. With these two surgeries behind me, I hope to be able to put on a Mets uniform again as soon as possible. My desire to play is as strong as ever."

Wright, who has been dealing with spinal stenosis since 2015, said it was his shoulder -- not his back -- that derailed his return to the Mets this season.

"I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders,'' Wright told Kevin Kernan of the NY Post after undergoing rotator cuff surgery last month. "At least now, I have peace of mind, and hope, that if all goes well with the surgery, this is what they thought it was and that's corrected now."

Wright said over the summer htat he has not considered retirment.

"I think I still have something to give," he said. "There's still kind of that passion and that fire in me."

After sitting idle for five months with a shoulder impingement, Wright tested his shoulder during three games with High-A St. Lucie in late-August. After again experiencing more pain when trying to throw, Wright terminated the rehab. The next day's MRI revealed deterioration of his rotator cuff and labrum, which were surgically repaired the following week.

The 34-year-old has been limited to 75 games the past three seasons due to issues associated with his hamstring, upper spine and lumbar spinal stenosis -- a condition in his lower back that he will forever need to monitor.

Wright played in just 37 games last season due to a herniated disc in his upper-spine, which led to corrective surgery and the pain in his shoulder that was addressed surgically.

According to Wright, the Mets have yet to push him on moving to first base, though he told Kernan he is open to anything the team needs him to do to remain on field in the future."

I give Wright a lot of credit for trying but it is time to give it up. Maybe he can get on the next coaching staff somehow and hopefully can manage the Mets one day. All around good guy in a business of selfishness.
                          Agreed..BUT as long as he is on the medically disabled list, insurance will cover 75% of his salary...And we all know how the Wilpons feel about money...
                          North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

Agreed..BUT as long as he is on the medically disabled list, insurance will cover 75% of his salary...And we all know how the Wilpons feel about money...
                            Agreed. I guess that is why they purchased the insurance in the 1st place.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X