Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be the next manager

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who should be the next manager

    Here is an article with some names. I am glad that Backman is no longer being mentioned. I'm not crazy about re-treads like Melvin. For some reason Joe McEwing catches my eye.

    12 candidates to replace Mets manager Terry Collins | NJ.com

  • #2
    Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
    Here is an article with some names. I am glad that Backman is no longer being mentioned. I'm not crazy about re-treads like Melvin. For some reason Joe McEwing catches my eye.

    12 candidates to replace Mets manager Terry Collins | NJ.com
    Writer either didn't know or it happened the same day- Bob Melvin just signed a contract extension so he isn't a candidate.

    Alex Cora.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cora's write-up seems to indicate a modern mind. I don't have a distinct impression of him from ESPN. Did he seem bright? I guess he is lacking in managing experience. But, to me that is not super critical. As with other things "you can't teach speed or height" I don't think you can teach smart.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hate to beat a dead horse but until the roster changes the manager wont matter. It will be another guy put in a position that is told to make lemonade out of lemons.

        With that said I always like Ventura.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          Hate to beat a dead horse but until the roster changes the manager wont matter. It will be another guy put in a position that is told to make lemonade out of lemons.

          With that said I always like Ventura.
          I also like Ventura , and follow the Chisox in the AL. Just like Collins and the Mets, Ventura was under heat a lot. Fans never seemed to forgive him for their 2012 collapse. By 2015 and 2016 the Chicago Tribune had a lot of "Fire Ventura " stories.

          Until the Mets figure out how they will improve the 25 man roster, no manager is going to turn this 91 loss team around. Maybe Sandy the great should switch jobs with Cashman? Maybe the Wilpons could switch teams with the Steinbrenners? Maybe those 2 moves would help?

          Switching managers with questions at just about position?

          Comment


          • #6
            Sorry to bother everyone. Let's have the same old conversation over and over and bore everyone who reads it. Silly me to put out a post about a current event.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
              Sorry to bother everyone. Let's have the same old conversation over and over and bore everyone who reads it. Silly me to put out a post about a current event.
              PVNICK - I said I like Ventura as a manager, but what comes natural is how he is going to impact the team.

              Sorry to bore you and everyone else.

              Comment


              • #8
                Edgardo Alfonzo!
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                  PVNICK - I said I like Ventura as a manager, but what comes natural is how he is going to impact the team.

                  Sorry to bore you and everyone else.
                  My bad. It wasn't really you or Mandrake, just generally. It's just that everything revolves about Wilpon/Alderson.

                  I seem to remember Ventura got favorable reviews early on in Chicago then I lost track. Nothing against Collins, but I don't want a "lifer", to the extent that someone who is a coach or manger in MLB isn't a lifer in that this is their career.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                    Cora's write-up seems to indicate a modern mind. I don't have a distinct impression of him from ESPN. Did he seem bright? I guess he is lacking in managing experience. But, to me that is not super critical. As with other things "you can't teach speed or height" I don't think you can teach smart.
                    Beltran just raved about Cora as the bench coach of Houston. Hinch too. 41 years old. McEwing interviewing with Chicago.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In all likelihood this will be a young team. 1B and SS will be Smith and Rosario. Nimmo is in the OF mix. D'Arnaud, Lagares and Flores might be the returning palyers with the most MLB time unless Cabrera is kept. I guess Cespedes is a special case, since he came from Cuba (and for perhaps other reasons). I would think you want someone that has patience, can teach and is not fired up for instant results. Hopefully they choose the manager and then let him choose or at least have input on the coaches.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PVNICK View Post

                        My bad. It wasn't really you or Mandrake, just generally. It's just that everything revolves about Wilpon/Alderson.

                        I seem to remember Ventura got favorable reviews early on in Chicago then I lost track. Nothing against Collins, but I don't want a "lifer", to the extent that someone who is a coach or manger in MLB isn't a lifer in that this is their career.
                        No problem.

                        I don't want a lifer either, but I would prefer someone who has done it before..hence Ventura. Ventura did it in a bigger market with a team that apparently was a mess in the clubhouse so he has some experience.

                        I feel over the next couple of years if this goes in the right direction we need some experience in steering the ship. Besides - if it gets really bad Ventura is a better option than Wright at 3rd.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                          No problem.

                          I don't want a lifer either, but I would prefer someone who has done it before..hence Ventura. Ventura did it in a bigger market with a team that apparently was a mess in the clubhouse so he has some experience.

                          I feel over the next couple of years if this goes in the right direction we need some experience in steering the ship. Besides - if it gets really bad Ventura is a better option than Wright at 3rd.
                          lolol

                          They really do need to come up with a long term solution for 2B/3B. Maybe one thing is a manger with the nerve to stick with Wilmer or Rivera if they are the options. (I know there are 6 other positions in a state of uncertainty)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PVNICK View Post

                            lolol

                            They really do need to come up with a long term solution for 2B/3B. Maybe one thing is a manger with the nerve to stick with Wilmer or Rivera if they are the options. (I know there are 6 other positions in a state of uncertainty)
                            Once this season hit the $ hitter --- which was very early I thought that was the right time to see what they had with Wilmer. Live and die with him for 2017 and see what he is with 600 PA's. In his limited AB's he had a .795 OPS. Not bad at all. He could have hit 25-30 hr's with 85-90 rbi's. That is nothing to ignore.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Whoever they pick, he must be on the same page as Alderson. We can criticize the front office all day long but they need to be a cohesive team if for no other reason then knowing who to blame if it doesn't get turned around. Silly me, we already know who to blame!! With that said my pick is Rusty Staub. Good experienced baseball man and since there is no Old Timers Day, it would be nice to see him in the orange and blue again.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X