Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brandon Nimmo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brandon Nimmo

    Like many others, I considered Brandon Nimmo an overdraft when he was chosen nearly 7 years ago. He was. I still think the Mets would have found him on the board a round later, but he's ours, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like many others, my attention has been grabbed by his ability to lay off pitches outside the zone. He tends to have excellent at bats. In his short time in the Majors, he also seems to square the ball up well. I'd think his K rates, at least against RHP, would be lower. That could happen in time, though.

    Given the lack of organized baseball in Wyoming, he's probably still developing towards whatever his ceiling is. Obviously he needs to do better against LHP. His K% against them approaches 40%. Still, his plate discipline, and his ability to square up the ball when he does put it in play, are valuable skills to build on. Fangraphs published this article discussing Nimmo yesterday:

    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what...-nimmo-become/

    I think it's interesting, and worth the 5 or so minutes it'll take to read. According to the article, attacking the ball in the zone would raise Nimmo's game a lot. All in all, I can't criticize the team for not trading Nimmo for McCutchen or Harrison. I think he has the chance to provide better net value than either of them.

    What do you think?


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Like many others, I considered Brandon Nimmo an overdraft when he was chosen nearly 7 years ago. He was. I still think the Mets would have found him on the board a round later, but he's ours, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like many others, my attention has been grabbed by his ability to lay off pitches outside the zone. He tends to have excellent at bats. In his short time in the Majors, he also seems to square the ball up well. I'd think his K rates, at least against RHP, would be lower. That could happen in time, though.

    Given the lack of organized baseball in Wyoming, he's probably still developing towards whatever his ceiling is. Obviously he needs to do better against LHP. His K% against them approaches 40%. Still, his plate discipline, and his ability to square up the ball when he does put it in play, are valuable skills to build on. Fangraphs published this article discussing Nimmo yesterday:

    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what...-nimmo-become/

    I think it's interesting, and worth the 5 or so minutes it'll take to read. According to the article, attacking the ball in the zone would raise Nimmo's game a lot. All in all, I can't criticize the team for not trading Nimmo for McCutchen or Harrison. I think he has the chance to provide better net value than either of them.

    What do you think?
    I don't want Nimmo traded for Harrison. That in my opinion is a horrific trade when there are other free agent pieces out there that can plug an infield hole. Harrison has been grossly overrated.

    On the other hand - I was all in on Nimmo for McCutchen. In 2017 McCutchen proved he was still an .800+ OPS player The Mets had one player do that in 2017 (Jay Bruce) with enough at bats to qualify Duda/Cespedes played 75 games each.

    There is the age Cutch is 31 Nimmo will be 25 on OD. With that said - I am forced to be in NOW mode with the Mets. The better player now. Why? Because I have zero confidence in the Mets organization actually building anything.

    When Nimmo does come to the plate I am more confident in his at bats than just about anyone else not named Michael Conforto. Another thing to ponder is -- when does he get a full time gig on the Mets? Like Flores when does Nimmo become a regular. I didn't realize that his OBP is .379. You would think that the genius GM would realize this being that he "invented" Money Ball (ha ha) and they should love him because - when I point to you -- say - HE GETS ON BASE. If you didn't see the movie that last sentence doesn't work.

    The article said "they have a young pre injury Brantley" --- well lets use it then. Lord knows they don't have much else.

    Nimmo is the 5th OF'er meaning that Juan Lagares is ahead of him. How much more do we have to see of that? If Nimmo is a Met and Conforto isn't ready - Nimmo should play every day.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 01-31-2018, 11:52 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I mentioned last year that I was pleasantly surprised by his OBP. The rest of the article was very favorable. The team is very strange, they like to take recycled imperfect players rather than seeing if they can let their own grow.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
        I mentioned last year that I was pleasantly surprised by his OBP. The rest of the article was very favorable. The team is very strange, they like to take recycled imperfect players rather than seeing if they can let their own grow.
        Harrison for Nimmo is nothing short of a crime.

        Lagares stepping on the field instead of Nimmo is also a crime.

        Comment


        • #5
          https://www.mlb.com/news/brandon-nim...as/c-278207290

          According to MLB.com, Brandon Nimmo is an "on base machine". Nimmo's got a .450 OBP. He's a couple dozen PA short of officially qualifying for the leadership board, but he's #1 right now in all of baseball. Of course the Mets still have him buried on their official depth chart, but some timely injuries have opened up a spot for him. Since failure to play qualified younger players is a franchise feature regardless of manager, I'm inclined to think it's determined from above. I believe it's quite possibly Wilpon generated. The organization is notoriously opaque, so who knows?

          But Nimmo seemed to have taken the approach recommended by Fangraphs at the start of the season. Pitchers will adjust. Nimmo will then adjust again. I think he's a player.

          The sample size still isn't great, and neither are his numbers against left handed pitchers. But the only way he'll improve is with reps, and his core skills are so intriguing, he warrants as much playing time as possible. I think most of us were in agreement about this before the season began. I think Nimmo might positively reward our interest in him. Unfortunately, with the Mets you're inclined to focus on bright spots, rather than the team as a whole. Nimmo is potentially a very bright spot.


          "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

          Comment


          • #6
            Beyond his excellent OBP, he is also fast and has a good arm. He should be on the OF every day. Right now, Nimmo, Cabrera, and Gonzales represent most of the offensive output for the team.

            Comment


            • #7
              After a 10 game stint in rookie ball his minor league OBP for a year was never below .362 from 2012 when he was 19. I think getting on base is a part of his skillset.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                Beyond his excellent OBP, he is also fast and has a good arm. He should be on the OF every day. Right now, Nimmo, Cabrera, and Gonzales represent most of the offensive output for the team.
                The fact that this is true ---- is a very sad commentary on how horrendous this actually is.

                Comment


                • #9
                  He is one of the lone brightspots for this pathetic team.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Anybody think Nimmo looks a lot like Roger Maris? Not to mention they're both left-handed hitters, both wear (or wore) number 9, and both were from the same part of the country (Nimmo from Wyoming, Maris from nearby North Dakota).
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                      Anybody think Nimmo looks a lot like Roger Maris? Not to mention they're both left-handed hitters, both wear (or wore) number 9, and both were from the same part of the country (Nimmo from Wyoming, Maris from nearby North Dakota).
                      Good call!.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                        Anybody think Nimmo looks a lot like Roger Maris? Not to mention they're both left-handed hitters, both wear (or wore) number 9, and both were from the same part of the country (Nimmo from Wyoming, Maris from nearby North Dakota).
                        Howie mentioned this once during a game. He looks like Barry Pepper playing Roger Maris.
                        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

                          Howie mentioned this once during a game. He looks like Barry Pepper playing Roger Maris.
                          Yes, that's more accurate.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                            But Nimmo seemed to have taken the approach recommended by Fangraphs at the start of the season. Pitchers will adjust. Nimmo will then adjust again. I think he's a player.
                            And so it's been. Nimmo had a long down period, which might have been caused by getting hit on the hand by a pitch. He was coming back strong, having reached base 10 times in a row. He's hurt again, having been hit by another pitch. That's part of Nimmo's game. I just hope it doesn't keep him off the field.

                            It's also odd that someone with such a good eye at the plate strikes out so often. I'm not sure I can explain that. I'd have to think bat control might be an issue, though he squares the ball up well when he makes contact. He was striking out a lot even before he started attacking the ball in the zone more.

                            Either way, this has been a breakout season for him.


                            "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

                              And so it's been. Nimmo had a long down period, which might have been caused by getting hit on the hand by a pitch. He was coming back strong, having reached base 10 times in a row. He's hurt again, having been hit by another pitch. That's part of Nimmo's game. I just hope it doesn't keep him off the field.

                              It's also odd that someone with such a good eye at the plate strikes out so often. I'm not sure I can explain that. I'd have to think bat control might be an issue, though he squares the ball up well when he makes contact. He was striking out a lot even before he started attacking the ball in the zone more.

                              Either way, this has been a breakout season for him.
                              Nimmo is very good at getting on base. The .387 OBP and 148 OPS+ pretty much says it all when it comes to his game play. He's the only position player on the team outside of Conforto that I actually find myself rooting for. The 18 HBPs leads the league. That's just part of his game. I hope it doesn't lead to his career getting cut short.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X