Mickey Callaway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

I wasn't suggesting, nor do I want Showalter(his voice drives me crazy), Girardi (I get tense typing his name) or Maddon (too cool for Queens). Maddon isn't even technically available.

Mickey expects to stay. We'll see if he's correct.

Who would you like to be hired should Mickey be out?
    I don't think it's a question of who I would like to see hired, it's a question of who Capn Jeff would hire. If all things were equal and we were living in Fantasyland, Girardi wouldn't be a bad choice..
    North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

I don't think it's a question of who I would like to see hired, it's a question of who Capn Jeff would hire. If all things were equal and we were living in Fantasyland, Girardi wouldn't be a bad choice..
      Girardi's been waiting for the Cubs job to open up. This could be the offseason for him.

Comment

Girardi's been waiting for the Cubs job to open up. This could be the offseason for him.
        Good Point, assuming Maddon will get the boot. Maddon's lost control of the clubhouse at times but with today's players, I'm not sure that would matter.

Comment

Good Point, assuming Maddon will get the boot. Maddon's lost control of the clubhouse at times but with today's players, I'm not sure that would matter.
          Maddon isn't a good manager anyway. I am hoping he isn't the Met manager.

Maddon is well liked because he seems to be really nice guy. He does things that give him a lot of positive attention as they are well documented. His baseball X's & O's are sorely lacking.

His is one of the most overrated managers in recent times.

I want Girardi.
          Last edited by Paulypal; 09-29-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Maddon isn't a good manager anyway. I am hoping he isn't the Met manager.

Maddon is well liked because he seems to be really nice guy. He doesn't things that give him a lot of positive attention as they are well documented. His baseball X's & O's are sorely lacking.

His is one of the most overrated managers in recent times.

I want Girardi.
            Just got the alert that Maddon won't return to the Cubs. I'd be shocked if they don't interview/solicit Girardi for that job.

Comment

Just got the alert that Maddon won't return to the Cubs. I'd be shocked if they don't interview/solicit Girardi for that job.
              I am sure they will. I hope the Mets do the same.

The Cubs is the better job I believe. Better GM, better owners. The Mets could have a vastly different pitching staff.

Going into the off season - in my opinion - its a slippery slope for Mets fans. Callaway needs to go and Maddon is a name, A washed up name - The Mets love those.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Going into the off season - in my opinion - its a slippery slope for Mets fans. Callaway needs to go and Maddon is a name, A washed up name - The Mets love those.
                How could a manager be “washed up” though? Does managerial decision-making erode with age, like physical abilities? Are we talking senility?

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post

How could a manager be “washed up” though? Does managerial decision-making erode with age, like physical abilities? Are we talking senility?
                  Well I didnt exactly mean he was losing his marbles --- he wasn't that good to start with was more my point.

Comment

Callaway driving to his home in FL. He has no meetings planned with management.

Comment

Callaway driving to his home in FL. He has no meetings planned with management.
                      Hopefully he is fired already and its not announced

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post

Managers are sometimes stuck in a "Manager Mindset". They believe their type of management is the only way to go and are not open to new ideas or change. Callaway was never a manager so we can't comment on his mindset

Comment

Managers are sometimes stuck in a "Manager Mindset". They believe their type of management is the only way to go and are not open to new ideas or change. Callaway was never a manager so we can't comment on his mindset
                          You had me until that last sentence.

Callaway had precisely the type of manager mindset you describe in the first two sentences. The man not once admitted when he was wrong, even when he was very wrong.

My biggest problem with Callaway was he was seemingly incapable of growing and learning from his mistakes, and that, in my mind, made him an idiot beyond just managing a baseball team. Power to him. He can now go be wrong with some other team if that's his decision.
                          Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

You had me until that last sentence.

Callaway had precisely the type of manager mindset you describe in the first two sentences. The man not once admitted when he was wrong, even when he was very wrong.

My biggest problem with Callaway was he was seemingly incapable of growing and learning from his mistakes, and that, in my mind, made him an idiot beyond just managing a baseball team. Power to him. He can now go be wrong with some other team if that's his decision.
                            I dont see him getting a managers job for a while.

By a while I mean Halley's Comet would have come around twice before he is hired as a manager.

He may get a job as a pitching coach, but after this showing is a hard guy to trust.

Mickey quotes from the first post in this thread:
                            "It is very evident we are prepared in every way to go out there and do something special,"

"They look to their left, and they look to their right and they know they can contend. We have the players that can do it. It has become very evident in my time here at Port St. Luice... it is very evident that we are prepared in every way to go out there and do something special. If we do not do things, it's going to be on me. The front office has gotten us the players, the coaching staff is the best coaching staff in the big leagues."

"This is the best group of arms and stuff I've ever seen from top to bottom."

"We're going to care more about the players than anyone ever has before," the 42-year-old Callaway said, wearing his new No. 36 Mets jersey. "We're going to know that they are human beings and individuals; and this is going to be a group that feels that every day they come into the clubhouse. Our main concern is to show them that we know this game is difficult and we care about you as a player, a human being and about your personal life.

Well you didnt do things and they held you to it. At least a year too late.

The best coaching staff in the big leagues..........front office got us the players.

I wish I could say I am going to miss Mickey, but nope cant do it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X