3B: David Wright, Howard Johnson
    SS: Jose Reyes, Bud Harrelson
    LF: Cleon Jones
    CF: Carlos Beltran, Mookie Wilson, Lenny Dykstra
    RF: Darryl Strawberry
    SP: Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Jerry Koosman, Al Leiter, Sid Fernandez
    RP: Tug McGraw, Jesse Orosco, John Franco, Armando Benitez, Skip Lockwood
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
    C: Mike Piazza, John Stearns
    1B: Keith Hernandez, John Olerud
    2B: Edgardo Alfonso, Daniel Murphy
    3B: David Wright, Howard Johnson
    SS: Jose Reyes, Bud Harrelson
    LF: Cleon Jones
    CF: Carlos Beltran, Mookie Wilson, Lenny Dykstra
    RF: Darryl Strawberry
    SP: Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Jerry Koosman, Al Leiter, Sid Fernandez
    RP: Tug McGraw, Jesse Orosco, John Franco, Armando Benitez, Skip Lockwood
    Jerry Grote was the best defensive catcher in franchise history. Seaver said he was better than Bench or Fisk. Johnny Bench said if Grote was on the Big Red Machine, Johnny would be playing third base. Lou Brock said Grote was the hardest catcher to steal against: caught stealing percentages for Grote -some seasons 46%, 49% 53%. 56%. (TDA was 17% last season). Tim McCarver said Grote was the best defensive catcher in his lifetime. Grote was to catching what Ozzie Smith was to shortstop. I liked "Dude" but I can't take him over Grote. And as much as I love Gary Carter, I would take Grote. If I carried 3 catchers like the 1969 Mets (Grote, Dyer, Martin) did it would be Piazza, Grote, Carter. I would then drop Hojo off the team. Carter is a Hall of Famer and it is tough not to include him on a 25 man roster.

Personally, I would go with Tommie Agee over Dykstra. I may even go with Jon Matlack over Leiter or El Sid. The way Matlack pitched in the 1973 season, going 5-1 down the stretch, throwing a 2 hit shut out at Cincy and then having 2 excellent outings against Oakland in games 1 and 4 (not so excellent in game 7 on 3 days rest) - all at the age of 23....puts him on my team. I don't want Armando Benitez anywhere near my lineup. I'll take Roger McDowell instead.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X