2018 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Mets Season Thread

Another season is about to begin. I think if everything goes perfectly, the Mets will compete for a Wild Card spot. A bigger question is whether there'll be enough health for the Mets to be competitive from wire to wire.

The Brewers, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Cardinals and even Phillies look to be obstacles to the Wild Card.

How do you think the Mets will stack up to those teams?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Another season is about to begin. I think if everything goes perfectly, the Mets will compete for a Wild Card spot. A bigger question is whether there'll be enough health for the Mets to be competitive from wire to wire.

The Brewers, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Cardinals and even Phillies look to be obstacles to the Wild Card.

I think they can hang in there with them. Cubs and Dodgers- no. Nats- the big question mark. No Werth, Murphy on DL, Zimmerman a question, Wieters?
    should be interesting.

Comment

I do this every year:

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

In short they wont, Could they? Yes, but until I see the team perform at that level I have doubts that it will happen. Hopes, but doubts.

The Mets are built around 4 players in my opinion. deGrom/Noah/Ces/Conforto -- They cant do it alone and it has to be a team effort but those are the keys to the season. No surprise there.

Comment

I think if everything goes perfectly they win the division because perfect would mean the Nats would have an off year. I think they will contend for a WC. If this team doesn't stay healthy, another money sell off in July. Best case=Division, worst case= Sell off, in between= wildcard contender. I will take in between.

Comment

Seriously, the SNY crawl announcing the lineup tomorrow had Plawecki as the 2b. Wow, what a surprise!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

In short they wont, Could they? Yes, but until I see the team perform at that level I have doubts that it will happen. Hopes, but doubts.

The Mets are built around 4 players in my opinion. deGrom/Noah/Ces/Conforto -- They cant do it alone and it has to be a team effort but those are the keys to the season. No surprise there.
              I'd add Bruce to the fold, but otherwise, Agreed. There's too many older players on this team which usually equates to injuries.

Basically, Syndergaard and deGrom need to stay healthy and produce and Cespedes needs to play at least 140 games or this team is screwed.
              Last edited by jjpm74; 03-28-2018, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Weird starting lineup. Cabrera #4??? Syndergaard #8? The big boppers are batting 2, 3, 5, 6, 7. I do like Plawecki over d'Arnaud here. Especially with Syndergaard pitching:

CF Brandon Nimmo

LF Yoenis Cespedes

RF Jay Bruce

2B Asdrubal Cabrera

3B Todd Frazier

1B Adrian Gonzalez

C Kevin Plawecki

SP Noah Syndergaard

SS Amed Rosario

Comment

That's certainly an eclectic lineup ordering.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                    That's certainly an eclectic lineup ordering.
                    Callaway out of the gate hitting the pitcher 8th.

Comment

Well, the season comes down to Harvey, Matz, Cespedes, and Conforto. Harvey and Matz need to stay healthy and be effective. Cespedes needs to stay healthy and Conforto needs to come back strong from his injury.

Sincerly,
                      Captain Obvious.

Comment

The Mets are in 1st place!

I had to say it once this season.

I know it's just one game and the Mets usually win on opening day, but Nimmo, Rosario and Plawecki looked really good today and the offense was great top to bottom!

Let's Go Mets!

Comment

One of the rare good Mets traditions...a GREAT performance on Opening Day.

Every starting position player got a hit...
                          They did it WITHOUT the long ball...
                          Syndergaard was everything we could've hoped for, 0 walks and 10 strikeouts IS ace material...
                          Gsellman, after an awful 2017, came back as strong as he possibly could have and struck out the side...
                          The Mets' bullpen was lights out, 5 strikeouts, 1 walk, and no hits or runs...
                          Nimmo continues to make a case for playing time, reaching 4/5 times with two singles...
                          Gonzalez also reached 4 times, 2 hits, 2 walks, and an RBI...
                          Rosario went 2/4 with 2 singles and 2 RBIs...
                          Cespedes went 2/5 with 2 singles and 3 RBIs...

The Mets dominated every Cardinal not named Jose Martinez and (as usual) Yadier Molina.

On the one hand, the Mets got off to a good start LAST YEAR, too, beating the Braves 6-0, with a 7 K outing from Syndergaard.
                          On the OTHER hand, Syndergaard had a no decision that game, checking it...BECAUSE the Mets were scoreless through 6.

It's one game...and the Mets looked pretty decent until, oh, mid April last year, so we'll see...but something in today's orbit of Superb Pitching and Actual Hitting (and NOT Just Homer Ball) is what they'll need if they're going to contend for a playoff spot.
                          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

A fun day. Not much else you can ask for.
                            Met some great fans. Saw Rusty’s banner right outside Seaver entrance.

Comment

One of 162, but a great start. Cant make any assessments after 1 game but a W is a W.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X