Jeff McNeil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff McNeil

8 hits in a row this past week. The guy's perceived ceiling coming out of college was utility infielder. Along the way, though, he developed power. He's already 26. He'd been tearing up the Minors all season, but the Wilpons were determined to keep a guy entering his late 20s down until after Super 2, so they went with Reyes. Anyway, he's here now and looking good so far.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

doesn't look bad, good contact ability and if power comes he could be a decent 2b. he is limited to 2B and not good there (like all mets infielders) but then again murphy was bad too. maybe he can really become a new murphy albeit I think he doesn't quite have his power.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

He hit the ball hard yesterday into outs right at the fielders.
      Keith Law thinks little of him, prompting Peter Alonso to stick up for him. Prospect experts can’t handle late bloomers is my guess. Or McNeil is a flash in the pan. Who knows ?

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
        Keith Law thinks little of him, prompting Peter Alonso to stick up for him. Prospect experts can’t handle late bloomers is my guess. Or McNeil is a flash in the pan. Who knows ?
        He has obviously looked good but I agree with you.....who knows?

Time will tell, but I still hope the Mets make a move on DJ Lemakieu from the Rockies.

Who I am kidding?

Comment

I was at both of his 4-hit games.

Play him until he shows you he's a bust. He's one of the team's best if not the best hitter right now. Nothing wrong with slapping singles all over the place.
          20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

Didn't read Law's comments. He's probably just trying to be balanced. After all, when his patrons were running the team during the Alderson regime, he tended to overpraise Mets prospects.

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

He has obviously looked good but I agree with you.....who knows?

Time will tell, but I still hope the Mets make a move on DJ Lemakieu from the Rockies.

Who I am kidding?
            LeMahieu is a product of Coors Field. When he won the batting title (after avoiding every good pitcher the last month of the season), he had about a 100 point home/away split. The numbers away from Coors Field aren't pretty:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=lemahdj01&year=Career&t=b#hmvis::non e
            Last edited by Mongoose; 08-24-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Baseball Savant has McNeil's hard hit %, this season so far, at over 40%, with a K% of less than 10%. Exit velocity is up 5mph over last season. But he was hitting well last year, slapping balls against the shift at times, which depressed exit velocity. I've been on board the McNeil bandwagon since last year.

I wonder what consensus here is now about him?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                Baseball Savant has McNeil's hard hit %, this season so far, at over 40%, with a K% of less than 10%. Exit velocity is up 5mph over last season. But he was hitting well last year, slapping balls against the shift at times, which depressed exit velocity. I've been on board the McNeil bandwagon since last year.

I wonder what consensus here is now about him?
                Anyone that doesnt strike out often I am on board. His bat to ball skills are tremendous by todays standards. He knows what he is doing with the bat in his hands. He is the type of hitter that keeps the train moving.

According to Fangraphs his soft hit % is 6.1%...........not a typo 6.1%. That is just off the charts stupid.

With that said he has played 79 MLB games - so I am not sure where he falls yet, but we have to love what we have seen so far. I dont care who comes back McNeil has to play until further notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Anyone that doesnt strike out often I am on board. His bat to ball skills are tremendous by todays standards. He knows what he is doing with the bat in his hands. He is the type of hitter that keeps the train moving.

According to Fangraphs his soft hit % is 6.1%...........not a typo 6.1%. That is just off the charts stupid.

With that said he has played 79 MLB games - so I am not sure where he falls yet, but we have to love what we have seen so far. I dont care who comes back McNeil has to play until further notice.
                  He kind of reminds me of Dave Magadan and I think that is where he will ultimately settle around. He has also shown a tremendous amount of athleticism on the defensive side of the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

He kind of reminds me of Dave Magadan and I think that is where he will ultimately settle around. He has also shown a tremendous amount of athleticism on the defensive side of the ball.
                    He will hit more power than Magadan I think.......I hope

Comment

Another 4 hit game last night. To me McNeil is no less exciting than Alonso. So far, in his career, he has more than 3 times as many hits as strikeouts. You don't see that much nowadays. Lots of contact + few strikeouts (usually) = timely hitting.

It's early but, if they maintain their production, is it crazy to think McNeil and Alonso could both make the All Star team?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

It's early but, if they maintain their production, is it crazy to think McNeil and Alonso could both make the All Star team?
                        Of the two, McNeil has the better chance of that.

Comment

Nice hustle double by McNeil at first at bat today.

Comment

And now an infield single. Fun to watch.

Comment

Maybe it's because they're in San Diego, but Gary Cohen is comparing McNeil to Tony Gwynn. I mean I like the kid a lot, but wait a minute...
                              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X