Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I hope they are both the real deal.

I am not pushing all my chips in the middle of the table just yet. So far so good on both of them.

Both are better than advertised thus far...especially in McNeil's case.

I am very optimistic about both players. How could we not be after what we have seen, but again I am going to temper my expectations and not put them in the HOF just yet. I will enjoy watching them play, but lets see where we are with McNeil at years end and where Alonso is in about a year.

Like I said until then I will enjoy tuning into Met games to watch them.
    At this point I’m hoping for MLB players with staying power. Not HOF, not flash in the pan. Two players who’ll be in the lineup in the 20’s.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

At this point I’m hoping for MLB players with staying power. Not HOF, not flash in the pan. Two players who’ll be in the lineup in the 20’s.
      Agreed......staying power with higher than normal production. That is what makes championship teams.

Constantly trying to catch lightning in a bottle does not work.

Comment

McNeil's season ends 3 days early, with a broken hand.

McNeil is for real. .318/.384/.53 along with 38 doubles, a triple and 23 home runs. Saw him earlier this month and was watching his movements off the ball. His body language seemed to indicate he was tired. With occasional off days, perhaps he could have kept his average up around .340. It's the difference between a great ballplayer and a top 15 ballplayer.

Either way, I think he's as valuable as Alonso, or would be if there was positional adjustment for his bat at 2B. As it stands, he played outfield well, can play all over the field, and would be a core player on any team in baseball. I've loved him since I first saw him. He's an old school bat on ball player.

It was really his rookie year, too. I can't remember the last time the Mets had two position players this good come up in the same year.
        Last edited by Mongoose; 09-26-2019, 01:40 PM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

McNeil is for real. .318/.384/.53 along with 38 doubles, a triple and 23 home runs. Saw him earlier this month and was watching his movements off the ball. His body language seemed to indicate he was tired. With occasional off days, perhaps he could have kept his average up around .340. It's the difference between a great ballplayer and a top 15 ballplayer.

Either way, I think he's as valuable as Alonso, or would be if there was positional adjustment for his bat at 2B. As it stands, he played outfield well, can play all over the field, and would be a core player on any team in baseball. I've loved him since I first saw him. He's an old school bat on ball player.

It was really his rookie year, too. I can't remember the last time the Mets had two position players this good come up in the same year.
          I remember -- it was never

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

What I like about McNeil even more than the BA is that the OBP is significantly higher than the BA. If the Mets have Nimmo and McNeil as 1 and 2 next year, I think both of them will get on base a good deal of the time. What impressed me the most about McNeil, though is that he seems to be able to play anywhere. There was a game last week where he started at 3B, moved to the OF then moved to 2B. That adds a lot of additional value to a player who has become a core player on this team.

They haven't had anyone like that in my lifetime. The closest they have had to this is Jose Reyes and David Wright. Write and Reyes debuted a year apart and it took each a season to develop into stars, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

They haven't had anyone like that in my lifetime. The closest they have had to this is Jose Reyes and David Wright. Write and Reyes debuted a year apart and it took each a season to develop into stars, though.
              yup. Before that it would be when Gooden and Darling and Straw came up in 83/84.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post

yup. Before that it would be when Gooden and Darling and Straw came up in 83/84.
                Yes, and both that string of debuts and Wight/Reyes led to a period of success and winning. Hopefully this core will do the same moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Yes, and both that string of debuts and Wight/Reyes led to a period of success and winning. Hopefully this core will do the same moving forward.
                  There is a problem with Wright/Reyes era vs. this one.

Up until 2008 the Mets spent money with cash that was stolen. Hence Beltrans, Delgado, Pedro, Johan...etc.

Now we are post the Madoff money printing press and the Mets are the Royals.

We can hope that these idiots realize that with Alonso, McNeil, Nimmo, Rosario who is improving, Jake - there is a core here to build around.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

There is a problem with Wright/Reyes era vs. this one.

Up until 2008 the Mets spent money with cash that was stolen. Hence Beltrans, Delgado, Pedro, Johan...etc.

Now we are post the Madoff money printing press and the Mets are the Royals.

We can hope that these idiots realize that with Alonso, McNeil, Nimmo, Rosario who is improving, Jake - there is a core here to build around.
                    The Mets are the Royals sans their recent championship. Who did they beat anyway?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X