Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeff McNeil

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

    I hope they are both the real deal.

    I am not pushing all my chips in the middle of the table just yet. So far so good on both of them.

    Both are better than advertised thus far...especially in McNeil's case.

    I am very optimistic about both players. How could we not be after what we have seen, but again I am going to temper my expectations and not put them in the HOF just yet. I will enjoy watching them play, but lets see where we are with McNeil at years end and where Alonso is in about a year.

    Like I said until then I will enjoy tuning into Met games to watch them.
    At this point I’m hoping for MLB players with staying power. Not HOF, not flash in the pan. Two players who’ll be in the lineup in the 20’s.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

      At this point I’m hoping for MLB players with staying power. Not HOF, not flash in the pan. Two players who’ll be in the lineup in the 20’s.
      Agreed......staying power with higher than normal production. That is what makes championship teams.

      Constantly trying to catch lightning in a bottle does not work.

      Comment


      • #33
        McNeil's season ends 3 days early, with a broken hand.

        McNeil is for real. .318/.384/.53 along with 38 doubles, a triple and 23 home runs. Saw him earlier this month and was watching his movements off the ball. His body language seemed to indicate he was tired. With occasional off days, perhaps he could have kept his average up around .340. It's the difference between a great ballplayer and a top 15 ballplayer.

        Either way, I think he's as valuable as Alonso, or would be if there was positional adjustment for his bat at 2B. As it stands, he played outfield well, can play all over the field, and would be a core player on any team in baseball. I've loved him since I first saw him. He's an old school bat on ball player.

        It was really his rookie year, too. I can't remember the last time the Mets had two position players this good come up in the same year.
        Last edited by Mongoose; 09-26-2019, 01:40 PM.


        "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
          McNeil's season ends 3 days early, with a broken hand.

          McNeil is for real. .318/.384/.53 along with 38 doubles, a triple and 23 home runs. Saw him earlier this month and was watching his movements off the ball. His body language seemed to indicate he was tired. With occasional off days, perhaps he could have kept his average up around .340. It's the difference between a great ballplayer and a top 15 ballplayer.

          Either way, I think he's as valuable as Alonso, or would be if there was positional adjustment for his bat at 2B. As it stands, he played outfield well, can play all over the field, and would be a core player on any team in baseball. I've loved him since I first saw him. He's an old school bat on ball player.

          It was really his rookie year, too. I can't remember the last time the Mets had two position players this good come up in the same year.
          I remember -- it was never

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            McNeil's season ends 3 days early, with a broken hand.

            McNeil is for real. .318/.384/.53 along with 38 doubles, a triple and 23 home runs. Saw him earlier this month and was watching his movements off the ball. His body language seemed to indicate he was tired. With occasional off days, perhaps he could have kept his average up around .340. It's the difference between a great ballplayer and a top 15 ballplayer.

            Either way, I think he's as valuable as Alonso, or would be if there was positional adjustment for his bat at 2B. As it stands, he played outfield well, can play all over the field, and would be a core player on any team in baseball. I've loved him since I first saw him. He's an old school bat on ball player.
            What I like about McNeil even more than the BA is that the OBP is significantly higher than the BA. If the Mets have Nimmo and McNeil as 1 and 2 next year, I think both of them will get on base a good deal of the time. What impressed me the most about McNeil, though is that he seems to be able to play anywhere. There was a game last week where he started at 3B, moved to the OF then moved to 2B. That adds a lot of additional value to a player who has become a core player on this team.

            It was really his rookie year, too. I can't remember the last time the Mets had two position players this good come up in the same year.
            They haven't had anyone like that in my lifetime. The closest they have had to this is Jose Reyes and David Wright. Write and Reyes debuted a year apart and it took each a season to develop into stars, though.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

              They haven't had anyone like that in my lifetime. The closest they have had to this is Jose Reyes and David Wright. Write and Reyes debuted a year apart and it took each a season to develop into stars, though.
              yup. Before that it would be when Gooden and Darling and Straw came up in 83/84.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by PVNICK View Post

                yup. Before that it would be when Gooden and Darling and Straw came up in 83/84.
                Yes, and both that string of debuts and Wight/Reyes led to a period of success and winning. Hopefully this core will do the same moving forward.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

                  Yes, and both that string of debuts and Wight/Reyes led to a period of success and winning. Hopefully this core will do the same moving forward.
                  There is a problem with Wright/Reyes era vs. this one.

                  Up until 2008 the Mets spent money with cash that was stolen. Hence Beltrans, Delgado, Pedro, Johan...etc.

                  Now we are post the Madoff money printing press and the Mets are the Royals.

                  We can hope that these idiots realize that with Alonso, McNeil, Nimmo, Rosario who is improving, Jake - there is a core here to build around.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                    There is a problem with Wright/Reyes era vs. this one.

                    Up until 2008 the Mets spent money with cash that was stolen. Hence Beltrans, Delgado, Pedro, Johan...etc.

                    Now we are post the Madoff money printing press and the Mets are the Royals.

                    We can hope that these idiots realize that with Alonso, McNeil, Nimmo, Rosario who is improving, Jake - there is a core here to build around.
                    The Mets are the Royals sans their recent championship. Who did they beat anyway?

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X