X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongoose
    started a topic Jeff McNeil

Jeff McNeil

8 hits in a row this past week. The guy's perceived ceiling coming out of college was utility infielder. Along the way, though, he developed power. He's already 26. He'd been tearing up the Minors all season, but the Wilpons were determined to keep a guy entering his late 20s down until after Super 2, so they went with Reyes. Anyway, he's here now and looking good so far.

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Exactly! At least he is our moron and we don't have what the Nats and Braves are stuck with.
    Try listening to a Phillies game with John Kruk doing the color commentary. Excruciating!

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied

Exactly! At least he is our moron and we don't have what the Nats and Braves are stuck with.
    Agreed some of these other guys are really brutal.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

"Our homer"........so like my moron is better than your moron?

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied

Cohen is a hardcore homer, but he is our homer. I'll take him and his overly exaggerated comments over the announcers for the Braves and many other teams any day.

BTW, while it is sad that Darling is battling cancer and out of the broadcast booth, I like Todd Zeile and hope he sticks with the broadcast booth.
    As far as announcing the games nothing is more annoying than listening to the two morons that do that Nats games. Holy cow are they brutal.

However Cohen is horrendous. His over the top crap...like mentioning McNeil in the same sentence as Gwynn is just stupid.

It reminds me of the late 80's when the Back Street Boys were popular and my niece who was 7 at the time said "they are the next Beatles". Where she heard that I dont have any clue but she repeated it not knowing what it meant I am sure. Sort of like Cohen.

"Our homer"........so like my moron is better than your moron?
    Last edited by Paulypal; 05-10-2019, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied

Gary Cohen also wet his draws every time Lagares caught a fly ball, and also called Colon's homer the greatest moment in baseball history.

So best to ignore him totally of take what he says with a grain of salt. He mainlines the Wilpon Kool-Aid.
    Cohen is a hardcore homer, but he is our homer. I'll take him and his overly exaggerated comments over the announcers for the Braves and many other teams any day.

BTW, while it is sad that Darling is battling cancer and out of the broadcast booth, I like Todd Zeile and hope he sticks with the broadcast booth.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Maybe it's because they're in San Diego, but Gary Cohen is comparing McNeil to Tony Gwynn. I mean I like the kid a lot, but wait a minute...
    Gary Cohen also wet his draws every time Lagares caught a fly ball, and also called Colon's homer the greatest moment in baseball history.

So best to ignore him totally of take what he says with a grain of salt. He mainlines the Wilpon Kool-Aid.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Maybe it's because they're in San Diego, but Gary Cohen is comparing McNeil to Tony Gwynn. I mean I like the kid a lot, but wait a minute...

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    And now an infield single. Fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Nice hustle double by McNeil at first at bat today.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

It's early but, if they maintain their production, is it crazy to think McNeil and Alonso could both make the All Star team?
    Of the two, McNeil has the better chance of that.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Another 4 hit game last night. To me McNeil is no less exciting than Alonso. So far, in his career, he has more than 3 times as many hits as strikeouts. You don't see that much nowadays. Lots of contact + few strikeouts (usually) = timely hitting.

It's early but, if they maintain their production, is it crazy to think McNeil and Alonso could both make the All Star team?

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied

He kind of reminds me of Dave Magadan and I think that is where he will ultimately settle around. He has also shown a tremendous amount of athleticism on the defensive side of the ball.
    He will hit more power than Magadan I think.......I hope

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied

Anyone that doesnt strike out often I am on board. His bat to ball skills are tremendous by todays standards. He knows what he is doing with the bat in his hands. He is the type of hitter that keeps the train moving.

According to Fangraphs his soft hit % is 6.1%...........not a typo 6.1%. That is just off the charts stupid.

With that said he has played 79 MLB games - so I am not sure where he falls yet, but we have to love what we have seen so far. I dont care who comes back McNeil has to play until further notice.
    He kind of reminds me of Dave Magadan and I think that is where he will ultimately settle around. He has also shown a tremendous amount of athleticism on the defensive side of the ball.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Baseball Savant has McNeil's hard hit %, this season so far, at over 40%, with a K% of less than 10%. Exit velocity is up 5mph over last season. But he was hitting well last year, slapping balls against the shift at times, which depressed exit velocity. I've been on board the McNeil bandwagon since last year.

I wonder what consensus here is now about him?
    Anyone that doesnt strike out often I am on board. His bat to ball skills are tremendous by todays standards. He knows what he is doing with the bat in his hands. He is the type of hitter that keeps the train moving.

According to Fangraphs his soft hit % is 6.1%...........not a typo 6.1%. That is just off the charts stupid.

With that said he has played 79 MLB games - so I am not sure where he falls yet, but we have to love what we have seen so far. I dont care who comes back McNeil has to play until further notice.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X