X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

At this point I’m hoping for MLB players with staying power. Not HOF, not flash in the pan. Two players who’ll be in the lineup in the 20’s.
    Agreed......staying power with higher than normal production. That is what makes championship teams.

Constantly trying to catch lightning in a bottle does not work.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I hope they are both the real deal.

I am not pushing all my chips in the middle of the table just yet. So far so good on both of them.

Both are better than advertised thus far...especially in McNeil's case.

I am very optimistic about both players. How could we not be after what we have seen, but again I am going to temper my expectations and not put them in the HOF just yet. I will enjoy watching them play, but lets see where we are with McNeil at years end and where Alonso is in about a year.

Like I said until then I will enjoy tuning into Met games to watch them.
    At this point I’m hoping for MLB players with staying power. Not HOF, not flash in the pan. Two players who’ll be in the lineup in the 20’s.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
    His OBP this year is over .400. The organization's biggest gripe about him was that he did not walk a lot. .400+ OBP is excellent. He also is +0.2 dWAR playing LF, 2B, 3B and RF, committing only 4 errors so far this season which is very hard to do. So much for not getting on base enough and not being a good fielder! I hope he is the real deal. If he is, he will be an elite player for the next decade.
    I hope they are both the real deal.

I am not pushing all my chips in the middle of the table just yet. So far so good on both of them.

Both are better than advertised thus far...especially in McNeil's case.

I am very optimistic about both players. How could we not be after what we have seen, but again I am going to temper my expectations and not put them in the HOF just yet. I will enjoy watching them play, but lets see where we are with McNeil at years end and where Alonso is in about a year.

Like I said until then I will enjoy tuning into Met games to watch them.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    His OBP this year is over .400. The organization's biggest gripe about him was that he did not walk a lot. .400+ OBP is excellent. He also is +0.2 dWAR playing LF, 2B, 3B and RF, committing only 4 errors so far this season which is very hard to do. So much for not getting on base enough and not being a good fielder! I hope he is the real deal. If he is, he will be an elite player for the next decade.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    His career is 139 games long. 175 hits. At his 162nd game will he have 200 hits?

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Another 4 hit game last night. To me McNeil is no less exciting than Alonso. So far, in his career, he has more than 3 times as many hits as strikeouts. You don't see that much nowadays. Lots of contact + few strikeouts (usually) = timely hitting.

It's early but, if they maintain their production, is it crazy to think McNeil and Alonso could both make the All Star team?
    McNeil leading MLB in hitting; a .340 hitter in 514 career AB, with a 144 OPS+.

After April ended we were talking about Alonso and McNeil being All Stars - both basically rookies, with no track record.

I felt they had All Star written all over them from the start of the season, but I might not have been neutral. I think we can now say they probably are what they seem to be. There's still almost half a season to go, but barring injury, we may be looking at two top 30 (or better) players going forward, this year and beyond.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I do, but if we must compare McNeil to somebody, I'll go with Gwynn rather than Rose, who was/is basically a dirtbag who was good at hitting a baseball.

I loved McNeil's first at-bat in this Philly series. They put a shift on him, and he promptly laced a hit to left field. Next time up, no shift anymore.
    With Rose I meant the every at bat intensity. You could see it with Rose as I can see it with McNeil.

Gwynn obviously had it also but it wasnt on his sleeve.

McNeil beating the shift just isnt that easy. He just has great bat to ball skills.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied

Its no fluke - the kid can flat out hit.

I mentioned this in another post -- his every at bat intensity is a real "skill" that not every hitter has. McNeil goes up to the plate thinking that he will get a hit in that at bat, and is genuinely upset when he doesnt. Some guys are 2-2 and back off. No McNeil.

It doesnt matter how many hits he has that day already -- if he is 3-3 he wants 4-4. That tenacity is what made Pete Rose...Pete Rose. No not calling him Pete Rose either, but you get the point.
    He definitely looks like the real deal at this point ( not Mike Vail and his fluke 23 game hitting streak ! )

Reasonable Mets fans who have heard The Shill over promoting young players tend to be hesitant when assessing Mets players . After all , 4 years ago one couldn’t turn on a game where The Shill wasn’t constantly telling us Matz was another John Matlack - you know the Mets rookie of the year who in 1973 shut out the great Big Red Machine in game 2 of the NLCS at Riverfront .

Or F-Mart . Or Ike . Or Duda. Or the number one catching prospect in all of MLB , the great TDA ( who was traded twice before reaching the majors - which outside of Shill land , is normally a red flag .)
    Last edited by mandrake; 06-27-2019, 08:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied

I mentioned this in another post -- his every at bat intensity is a real "skill" that not every hitter has. McNeil goes up to the plate thinking that he will get a hit in that at bat, and is genuinely upset when he doesnt. Some guys are 2-2 and back off. No McNeil.

It doesnt matter how many hits he has that day already -- if he is 3-3 he wants 4-4. That tenacity is what made Pete Rose...Pete Rose. No not calling him Pete Rose either, but you get the point.
    I do, but if we must compare McNeil to somebody, I'll go with Gwynn rather than Rose, who was/is basically a dirtbag who was good at hitting a baseball.

I loved McNeil's first at-bat in this Philly series. They put a shift on him, and he promptly laced a hit to left field. Next time up, no shift anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    I posted that about six weeks ago. I'm still not ready to call McNeil the next Tony Gwynn, but holy crap, the season's half over and he's hitting .350. He may make a believer of me yet.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Maybe it's because they're in San Diego, but Gary Cohen is comparing McNeil to Tony Gwynn. I mean I like the kid a lot, but wait a minute...
    I posted that about six weeks ago. I'm still not ready to call McNeil the next Tony Gwynn, but holy crap, the season's half over and he's hitting .350. He may make a believer of me yet.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied

Exactly! At least he is our moron and we don't have what the Nats and Braves are stuck with.
    Try listening to a Phillies game with John Kruk doing the color commentary. Excruciating!

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied

Exactly! At least he is our moron and we don't have what the Nats and Braves are stuck with.
    Agreed some of these other guys are really brutal.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied

"Our homer"........so like my moron is better than your moron?

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied

Cohen is a hardcore homer, but he is our homer. I'll take him and his overly exaggerated comments over the announcers for the Braves and many other teams any day.

BTW, while it is sad that Darling is battling cancer and out of the broadcast booth, I like Todd Zeile and hope he sticks with the broadcast booth.
    As far as announcing the games nothing is more annoying than listening to the two morons that do that Nats games. Holy cow are they brutal.

However Cohen is horrendous. His over the top crap...like mentioning McNeil in the same sentence as Gwynn is just stupid.

It reminds me of the late 80's when the Back Street Boys were popular and my niece who was 7 at the time said "they are the next Beatles". Where she heard that I dont have any clue but she repeated it not knowing what it meant I am sure. Sort of like Cohen.

"Our homer"........so like my moron is better than your moron?
    Last edited by Paulypal; 05-10-2019, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X