2018-2019 Mets Off Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-2019 Mets Off Season Thread

Now that the season is over, I figured it was time to start an off-season thread. Maybe a moderator can pin this and unpin the season thread?

What moves do you think this team will make during the off season? Are we going to see the same starting pitchers? How about Nimmo/Rosario/Conforto/McNeil?

Is Wilmer's career as a NY Met over? Will they wheel out Reyes again next season?

Reyes has to be done with the Mets and probably career-wise.

Comment

There are anywhere from 10 to 12 “serious candidates” for the Mets’ general manager opening, Jon Heyman of Fancred tweets, adding that Kim Ng may be among the names. If the Mets hire Ng, Major League Baseball’s senior vice president for baseball operations, she’d become the first woman to hold a GM job in professional sports.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ts-harper.html
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I think they need to give Smith a full chance at 1B or Alonso. Wilmer, if he wants a chance to play regularly, should move on. I think he is just arbitration eligible though. One thing I heard in Jeff Wilpon's post-season interview regarding the GM and budget was that they will set the budget with the GM. On the one hand, duh, that makes sense. I would presume any business has a budget and owners approve expenditures and such. But on the other hand this seemed shocking to some extent to hear as if this were a mom and pop grocery or a family with kids getting ready for college or to purchase a home or vacation.

What someone really needs to do is calculate how much of the September performance was fools gold and how much was actual improvement. Wheeler may well have turned the corner. He is at that age and stage where it happens. Conforto, to me, returned to his previous level after struggling with the aftereffects of his injury. Was Rosario's pick up the result of all the side work we constantly heard referenced? I can hope so, but it could be facing pitchers called up from AAA when the rosters expanded. McNeil is worth a shot. He hit .300 in the minors, but I was saying thing like that about TJ Rivera in the past. I may just be overly optimistic. Nimmo also has to play. The OBP is a skill he brought from the minors. I would like to think the power is part of the normal getting older and stronger process as he moved from barely out of his teens to mid twenties.

One I hear "set the budget" I interpret that as no Machado, Harper or other A list free agents. I have no idea who is out their beyond JT Realmuto apparently. A catcher would be a necessity. Bruce, I'm sure is a decent guy, but he is a sunk cost that they really need to get over. He is just in the way or filler.

Comment

The Mets will interview former Rangers and Brewers GM Doug Melvin about their open general manager’s position sometime in the next week or two, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports. Melvin, who has been a senior advisor for Milwaukee since being moved out of the GM role in August 2015, was first linked to the Mets by Fancred’s Jon Heyman back in August. With Mets owner Fred Wilpon reportedly looking to hire a seasoned executive with a scouting background, Melvin’s 30 years of front office experience would certainly seem to make him a solid candidate, though COO Jeff Wilpon is seemingly more keen on a more analytical mind in New York’s baseball ops department. Up to a dozen “serious candidates” are reportedly under consideration for the Mets’ GM job, however, so Melvin still faces tough competition.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...y-dunning.html

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
            If the Mets hire Ng, Major League Baseball’s senior vice president for baseball operations, she’d become the first woman to hold a GM job in professional sports.
            Afraid not:

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/...eneral-manager
            Last edited by SavoyBG; 10-04-2018, 02:57 PM.

19th Century League Champion
            1900s League Champion
            1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
            1950s League Champion
            1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
            1960s League Division Winner
            1970s League Champion
            1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
            1980s League Champion
            All Time Greats League Champion

Comment

There are anywhere from 10 to 12 “serious candidates” for the Mets’ general manager opening, Jon Heyman of Fancred tweets, adding that Kim Ng may be among the names. If the Mets hire Ng, Major League Baseball’s senior vice president for baseball operations, she’d become the first woman to hold a GM job in professional sports.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ts-harper.html
              I can see Fred choosing a female GM before spending enough money to really improve the team. What difference does it make? She wouldn't be vested with any real responsibility anyway. No GM would. The search is a farce.

Otherwise, we've all been around long enough to know what the off-season will hold, GM or no GM. We're far more likely to see Adrian Beltre signed than Manny Machado.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

I can see Fred choosing a female GM before spending enough money to really improve the team. What difference does it make? She wouldn't be vested with any real responsibility anyway. No GM would. The search is a farce.

Otherwise, we've all been around long enough to know what the off-season will hold, GM or no GM. We're far more likely to see Adrian Beltre signed than Manny Machado.
                Sounds like you're in favor of keeping Ricco, Ricciardi and Minaya as a set GM cannot improve the team? Is that what your mindset is?

Comment

Exactly. The Mets would get serious mileage out of signing a female GM as a first - smoke screening the fact that they still suck on the field.

The Mets not having a GM is another non-story. Jeff has been the GM for years ...hence the failure. Now the hiring of whoever is going to turn this around? Bottom line if it mattered to the owners they wouldn't have sucked for the last 9 years regardless of the GM.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Sounds like you're in favor of keeping Ricco, Ricciardi and Minaya as a set GM cannot improve the team? Is that what your mindset is?
                    Sadly, the nominal GM is irrelevant. Read recently the better teams in MLB have approximately 20 man analytics teams. The Mets have 3 full time employees. It's not just penny pinching on the ML roster: the cheap, greed saturates everything.

Almost all the deficiencies stem from the choking off of resources. Even the mania to play injured players flows from thin talent at every level.

Wilpon meddling, which includes keeping young talent in the Minors as long as possible, is driven by ravenousness. They must hang on to every nickel. Why look at the big picture instead? Before accounting shenanigans and debt muddy the waters, Fred probably runs around a 50% net margin on the half billion plus in annual Mets/SNY revenue. The Wilpons don't need the Mets to be any better than they are.

Ricco, Ricciardi and Minaya? It could be Rickey, Epstein and Bing Devine, or it could be Moe, Larry and Curly. Under the Wilpons, Frank Cashen = Steve Phillips.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Sadly, the nominal GM is irrelevant. Read recently the better teams in MLB have approximately 20 man analytics teams. The Mets have 3 full time employees. It's not just penny pinching on the ML roster: the cheap, greed saturates everything.

Almost all the deficiencies stem from the choking off of resources. Even the mania to play injured players flows from thin talent at every level.

Wilpon meddling, which includes keeping young talent in the Minors as long as possible, is driven by ravenousness. They must hang on to every nickel. Why look at the big picture instead? Before accounting shenanigans and debt muddy the waters, Fred probably runs around a 50% net margin on the half billion plus in annual Mets/SNY revenue. The Wilpons don't need the Mets to be any better than they are.

Ricco, Ricciardi and Minaya? It could be Rickey, Epstein and Bing Devine, or it could be Moe, Larry and Curly. Under the Wilpons, Frank Cashen = Steve Phillips.
                      I admire that it doesn’t matter to you who the GM is. I must admit I’m curious.

Comment

So Nimmo was second in the NL in OPS+ (150) but batted usually 5th or 6th when he came back from his injury after leading off most of the time in the first half.

19th Century League Champion
                        1900s League Champion
                        1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
                        1950s League Champion
                        1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
                        1960s League Division Winner
                        1970s League Champion
                        1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
                        1980s League Champion
                        All Time Greats League Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Exactly. The Mets would get serious mileage out of signing a female GM as a first - smoke screening the fact that they still suck on the field.

The Mets not having a GM is another non-story. Jeff has been the GM for years ...hence the failure. Now the hiring of whoever is going to turn this around? Bottom line if it mattered to the owners they wouldn't have sucked for the last 9 years regardless of the GM.
                          The Mets contacted the Twins for permission to speak to Minnesota GM Thad Levine about New York’s open general manager spot, MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand reports, but Levine declined. The Mets did receive permission from other teams to speak to other candidates, SNY.tv’s Andy Martino reports and they will begin interviews next week. Several people have been linked to the Mets in reports and rumors, though the Mets are “being extremely protective about names” involved in their search, with one source telling Martino that “some of the names floated publicly are wrong.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ownership.html

Comment

The Mets contacted the Twins for permission to speak to Minnesota GM Thad Levine about New York’s open general manager spot, MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand reports, but Levine declined. The Mets did receive permission from other teams to speak to other candidates, SNY.tv’s Andy Martino reports and they will begin interviews next week. Several people have been linked to the Mets in reports and rumors, though the Mets are “being extremely protective about names” involved in their search, with one source telling Martino that “some of the names floated publicly are wrong.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ownership.html
                            I guess from a distance and if it was another team anointing a GM it might be a big deal, but not in this case.

If anyone is paying attention we all know that the GM of the Mets is just a title with zero influence...…..if its not zero...its very close to zero.

The albatross that makes all the decisions is Jeff Wilpon. It is very hard to believe that the GM choice is going to be impactful on the 2019 season.

All I can do is hope I am wrong, but history really dictates otherwise. Maybe they will allow the GM to make a splash in first go around this off season, but if the new GM states in his first presser about "fiscal responsibility" and "within the budget"...……..we know that he has been infected with Wilponitis in order to be hired.

Comment

So, the Mets sucked this year, the Yankees are now out of the playoffs, The Jets and Giants suck this year, the Knicks and Nets are in rebuild mode; the Rangers suck and I can't bring myself to ever root for the Islanders, so I have cancelled cable and will use the 6 months of no cable to pay for a nice vacation in the spring. The state of NY sports is really dismal.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X